Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz pmd 661  (Read 4143 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Marantz pmd 661
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »
I just received a supermod pmd 661. I have some questions. I will be using behind a psp2 or vms02ib. Do I use the line input switch? What sd cards are best compatability wise? What runtimes will I get with imedion 2400 mAh rechargeables? Any other useful tips I may need to know?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Marantz pmd 661
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »
I would run line in via XLR from either preamp. Make sure the switch adjacent to the rear XLRs is set to "line". Hopefully, the record level (knob) should be at least 5.5 or so.

I like the high quality (professional) Lexar cards. I use a 16 gb that is about 10x speed, no problems. (gold and black sticker on card). No problem 24/96.

I use the Sanyo XX low discharge eneloops (black and purple ones). Easily 4+ hours, assuming phantom powering is off.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
I can help but only a little. I always have run my PMD 661 digi in from my USB pre2. I can say, I have used all kinds of cards, off brands like Emtec (from Microcenter) and Wintec through Amazon and never had any issues. I have used class 10 though, maybe an occasional class 6.

You can preset 3 setups, so you can always do one as line in and one as mic in and see what works best. You can name the presets too, my 3 are digi in , Line, and Mic, but as I said I have really only gone digi in. There is quite a laundry list of items you can tweak in the preset. There is a mic attenuation setting which I think when I tested worked best at -18db, but I cannot be certain. I don't have the deck in front of me, but others can probably chime in with more accurate data.

I think the deck is a bit of a power hog, but I have run everything from a Tekkeon to an eveready low MaH battery and have always easily gotten through an evening. I have not run at a festival though. As I said, it is not the most efficient deck battery wise. I have never run on internals only, but that is the case for me on all my decks always. I just like having the internal batteries be for emergency.

As far as tips, setting the presets will make life really easy. It is as rock solid a deck as you will ever see. The menus are a bit different than most decks but again with the presets, it is pretty easy to just set and forget. I also have a PMD 620 MKII which is just a mini version of the deck, with exactly the same menus and screens but missing the digi in. It is a great little deck. That deck is considerably different than the PMD 620 original model but with the PMD 661 there are not any significant differences between the original and the MKII. I know the MKII has some security features but that is perhaps the only difference.

One last think that is often overlooked is that the Marantz decks do not run on the FAT 32 system which starts a new file after 2GB, so it will record up to 4GB and then seamlessly start a new file.

I know I typed a lot but probably didn't answer all that much. I can say you will enjoy the deck!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:40:06 PM »
I would run line in via XLR from either preamp. Make sure the switch adjacent to the rear XLRs is set to "line". Hopefully, the record level (knob) should be at least 5.5 or so.

I like the high quality (professional) Lexar cards. I use a 16 gb that is about 10x speed, no problems. (gold and black sticker on card). No problem 24/96.

I use the Sanyo XX low discharge eneloops (black and purple ones). Easily 4+ hours, assuming phantom powering is off.

I do all this and agree on all the above. One more tip....turn off the led to save juice, particularly running p48. Makes a big difference. I did two hours and ended on four bars. With led on, I'm on a bar or two.

If you run p48 make sure gain is -18.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:42:13 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »
Won't be running p48
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:49:38 PM »
Great deck.   Same as noted above the presets come i handy forsure. Mine is an oade modded  as well.  Ive done some  >:D shows with it my km140s. sounds really good. As far as batteries go i Just take the USB out of my tekkeon and it works great, i share that battery with my Sonosax. No issues running out of power so far.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:07:59 AM »
I also have a PMD 620 MKII which is just a mini version of the deck, with exactly the same menus and screens but missing the digi in. It is a great little deck. That deck is considerably different than the PMD 620 original model but with the PMD 661 there are not any significant differences between the original and the MKII. I know the MKII has some security features but that is perhaps the only difference.

(Sorry for the threadjack, but) Any idea what the differences are between the original 620 and the MKII?  When the MKII was released, a Marantz distributor told me that it was the same except for a few security features, a card test function, and a different colored face-plate...

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »
Great deck.   Same as noted above the presets come i handy forsure. Mine is an oade modded  as well.  Ive done some  >:D shows with it my km140s. sounds really good. As far as batteries go i Just take the USB out of my tekkeon and it works great, i share that battery with my Sonosax. No issues running out of power so far.

^^Almost the same as what jazzgtrl4 noted, but I run an OADE Warm Mod on my PMD661.  Have run the deck using an Tekkeon outboard battery as well with the difference on my end using a Sound Devices MixPre-D and using the AES3 Dig out to the Marantz.  As for Mic's I have run direct as well as thru the pre, Neumann KM140's & 143's, Miktek C5's, Telefunken M60's and Audix 1280's without a problem!  Deck is a workhorse.  I have quite a bit of 4GB SD cards, so I primarily just  use them, as they are plenty in most cases to cover 1 band, or at least 1 set.

Presets are easy to set and you can set up a few scenarios as well, be it recording at  16 or 24 Bit or at 44.1, 48 or 96kHz wav

Enjoy your deck!!!
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »
I also have a PMD 620 MKII which is just a mini version of the deck, with exactly the same menus and screens but missing the digi in. It is a great little deck. That deck is considerably different than the PMD 620 original model but with the PMD 661 there are not any significant differences between the original and the MKII. I know the MKII has some security features but that is perhaps the only difference.

(Sorry for the threadjack, but) Any idea what the differences are between the original 620 and the MKII?  When the MKII was released, a Marantz distributor told me that it was the same except for a few security features, a card test function, and a different colored face-plate...
Technically, I do not know, but the line in jack was moved to the top which I prefer. I think they switched the line in and out so the line out is on the side. For me that was a huge difference, but for others it may not matter.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »
^ Thanks!  Yes, it appears they switched the positions of the line in and headphone jacks on the MKII.  I also prefer the top, but I have mostly used the mic input on mine, so that hasn't been a problem.

Offline Not_JoeKing

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
Won't be running p48

I've been using a 661 Mk1 with Oade concert mod for the past few years and it's my favorite deck for open taping and  >:D.  While I have a couple of really good pre-amps (Aerco & Fivefish) I prefer running the 661 using p48 without an external pre.  The quality of the Oade upgraded internal pres is top notch and the battery life of the 661 using p48 is great.  I consistently get 4 1/2 hours of use with a set of freshly charged batteries.  Additionally, the simplicity and ease of mics > cables > recorder just can't be beat. 

I fully respect your preference to use an external pre-amp, but if you get into a situation where you have to run straight in to your 661 using p48 I think you'll be very happy with the results. 

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 02:17:50 PM »
^^^^^

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com