Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Remove vocals from a recording?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Remove vocals from a recording?
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:13:03 PM »
I recorded a band the other night and got both a SBD feed and an AUD.
Generally, I will mix the two together. However, in this case. The lead vocals in the SBD feed have echo on them so each line is repeated 3 times.
This is not the case in the AUD recording. What is also interesting is that I also captured the soundcheck that day and the vocals were fine.
I have quite a bit of audience chatter on the AUD feed so I have hoping to bolster the recording by mixing in the SBD feed, even sans vocals.

I see Audacity has some ways of removing vocals but I have not yet tried it.
I do not know of other packages that do this but am interested in any suggestions.

Is it possible?
Has anyone been successful?

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Re: Remove vocals from a recording?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
With studio recordings, it's fairly easy. The vox are usually centered in the mix, and so with a little Audacity you can remove them. I did that once to make a "karaoke mix" of some song my sister-in-law wanted to sing at my other sister-in-law's wedding. It worked pretty well; the vocals were really faint, and the music sounded fine.

With a live recording, besides reducing the vocal presence via EQ, there's really not a whole lot you can do. Even EQ-ing doesn't do a whole lot. You could try the Audacity method, but unless it was mixed right at first, it might not work well.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com