Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: setbreak...stop, pause, or keep rolling ?  (Read 7988 times)

Offline zupanic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
setbreak...stop, pause, or keep rolling ?
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »
This spring I purchased a Tascam DR2d and I'm a total newb to this type of recorder. I have used it for a couple shows which were both just 1 set and done (hour long each). In two weeks I'm going to record Widespread Panic and I'm wondering what most people do for the setbreak. To keep levels exactly the same for both sets, I'm guessing "stop" is not an option. Do most people pause during setbreak, or just keep rolling through it ?  I'm not too concerned about the battery life and I use a totally blank/formatted 8gb SD card.
thanks, Doug

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: setbreak...stop, pause, or keep rolling ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
I think it depends on a number of factors. In the past, I've stopped/paused during the break between the opener or during a setbreak when:

1. I am unsure about the run time of my battery vs. length of the show. When I was running a V3 and AD2K+, my Tekkeon would conk out around 3 h, so I would turn off all my gear during the break if I thought it was going to be a long show.

2. Trying to conserve space on my media, or swap media cards.

3. I am not confident of the recorder. I've had problems with my MR-1 before I started reformatting the drive prior to show, and with my PMD-661 prior to the latest firmware. I've had instances where I've lost the entire recording because of a write error. So during the break, I would stop the recorder to save what I had.

Of course, the big issue if you stop the recording is to remember start it after the break. It can be a challenge if you don't know when the band is coming back on, the background music stops, the house lights suddenly go down, then it is a race to turn everything on again. Nowadays, I've figured out most of the quirks of my gear and I am pretty confident of my battery run-time, the size of my media and the reliability of my recorders, so I once I have everything setup, I just let it run right through.

This spring I purchased a Tascam DR2d and I'm a total newb to this type of recorder. I have used it for a couple shows which were both just 1 set and done (hour long each). In two weeks I'm going to record Widespread Panic and I'm wondering what most people do for the setbreak. To keep levels exactly the same for both sets, I'm guessing "stop" is not an option. Do most people pause during setbreak, or just keep rolling through it ?  I'm not too concerned about the battery life and I use a totally blank/formatted 8gb SD card.
thanks, Doug
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »
I can't recall ever pausing.  I've let it run if I'm busy doing something (ie, having a conversation with someone).  I usually stop and restart the recording.  This usually gives me a single file for each set.  If I paused and unpaused, or let it run, I end up with multiple files due to the autosplit at 2GB that I then need to rejoin.  Just an extra step, but if I can avoid it, I do.

I don't understand the comment about the levels not being the same if the recording is stopped.

To keep levels exactly the same for both sets, I'm guessing "stop" is not an option.

On the recorders I've had (R-09, R-09HR, M-10), this would not be an issue.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:49:18 PM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
Seems silly to record a bunch of people chatting at set break; I only record the music.

When the music stops, I stop recording; When the musicians return to the stage I start a new file and begin recording again.

Because I haven't as much as touched the gain on any device in the meantime, the levels are the same.

YMMV (but I doubt it).
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
"I don't understand the comment about the levels not being the same if the recording is stopped.

Quote from: esoxhunter on Today at 07:18:36 PM

To keep levels exactly the same for both sets, I'm guessing "stop" is not an option.

On the recorders I've had (R-09, R-09HR, M-10), this would not be an issue."

I should have elaborated on that. If I just hit "stop" but leave the recorder powered on, I should not have to touch the level adjustment again. If I power the unit off, I'd guess the unit goes to a default level setting. Guess I should experiment with that.
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the advice!

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »
the  DR-2d will keep your settings even if powered off as long as you keep batteries in it
the only setting I have lost due to removing the batteries is the date and time... everything else was uneffected

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »
As others have noted, the DR2D should save your level settings.

I will typically stop the recording at the end of the first set.  But unless I am worried about battery life or running out of card space, , if I wander away for even a second, I start recording just in case I don't make it back in time.  If I do, I just stop and start recording again.  This way I have smaller files to deal with (I only copy over the music files to my computer and back them up), but have a safety margin for not missing the start of the second set.

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »
Outstanding!  This is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks a bunch folks !

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:20:10 AM »
I usually stop my recording, but I wish I hadn't the other night. Had plenty of battery and space on the card. Let it roll through sets 1 and 2 and set break. Decided to stop and start between 2nd and 3rd sets. Another taper wanted to hit record on the third set and go grab a beer across the street. I thought this was a great idea so I hit record and bounded off to catch up. When I came back I gave the levels a glance and they were fine. It was the flashing 'pause' light that made my palm smack my forehead. When I get in a hurry I forget to do things like press record twice.

This was  a band I've seen ten times this year so I don't feel bad about my ears missing a few songs, just wish my mics hadn't.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
Another taper wanted to hit record on the third set and go grab a beer across the street. I thought this was a great idea so I hit record and bounded off to catch up. When I came back I gave the levels a glance and they were fine. It was the flashing 'pause' light that made my palm smack my forehead. When I get in a hurry I forget to do things like press record twice.

This is one of those reasons why I'm not bothered if I have enough power to let everything roll.

Seems silly to record a bunch of people chatting at set break; I only record the music.

When the music stops, I stop recording; When the musicians return to the stage I start a new file and begin recording again.

1) There are a surprising number of open taping gigs this year where I havn't had access to my gear between sets (or even prior to when the first set starts), so it's setup, make an educated estimate as to necessary gain, and hit record. Not optimum, but it beats not recording at all.
2) Sometimes it's the unintended material that turns out to be the most cherrished. There was a taper whose wife passed away and he realized he had hit record early on a number of shows and had a couple of conversations to remember her by; truely a captured memory.

It's not like most of us are using tape, and space is cheap. Really, power has become the limitation now for many people.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »
My suggestion is this, assuming you have sufficeint battery and card space-

1) At the end of the first set, after leaving sufficent time for appause to die down and a bit of ambience for your fade out, reach into your pocket and pull out the small DR2d infared remote.
2) Point remote at red light on top of recorder and push Stop.
3) Immediately push Record twice to begin recording again to a new file. Check that the red light is steady-on and not flashing.

You don't need to disingage the 'hold' switch or touch the rig at all.

End of setbreak, repeat step 2 &3.  If you don't make it back in time or forget, no sweat, you'll just have the break recorded at the begining of the file(s) for the second set.  If you do make it back and restart new files at the end of the break, you can choose to either keep the seperate setbreak file(s), or toss 'em once you get home and transfer.

Simple. All bases covered. Managable file sizes and predictible splits without extra fat, everything recorded, prepared for unforseen distractions.

Step 4) is open to personal improvisation.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tay666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
I agree with everyone else here.
You won't loose setting when stopping the recorder, or powering down.
Heck, if you do your battery change fast enough, you won't even loose your date setting.

I do agree with stopping the recording between sets.
IF for no other reason, than to make sure the file writes properly to the media.

Couple weeks ago, I taped 7 bands at one show.
About 2/3s of the way through, I switched cards and batteries.
Turns out the other set of batteries were duds. The recorder powered down during the next to the last band. I lost that whole file. Luckily, I had powered off for a few minutes after the band before them, and still had that file.
Switched back to the original set of batteries, which luckily held out through the headliner.
So, I ended up with recordings of 6 of the 7 bands.
Would have only had 5 of them, if I hadn't shut down between bands.

I also agree with starting to roll again, right after powering down.
If you've got enough battery time, do it. that way, you don't miss anything at the beginning of the set. Or forget to turn it on all together.
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
For me, I hit stop at set break.
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »
Stop for set breaks, but don't stop for encore calls or anything where the house lights don't go up. Imo, a live recording should be "house music to house music." I think an encore call is part of the experience and should be left in.

adrianf74

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
Stop for set breaks, but don't stop for encore calls or anything where the house lights don't go up. Imo, a live recording should be "house music to house music." I think an encore call is part of the experience and should be left in.
+1.  I usually try to roll 5 minutes before and then a minute or so after he house music starts; it gives the listener the full effect of being there.  Likewise, all breaks between main set(s) and encore(s) should be left as is as well.

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »
I stop between sets only

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 10:54:04 PM »
Format card at the set break to prevent problems.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
Glad you brought this up. I have been questioned about this before. Actually not questioned but heckled sort of.
It was on a torrent where someone said it's a waste to put all that crowd noise in there.
I then stated something to the effect of "for me it brings the reality of the live experience front and center"
Personally I love the encore chants/call for more. It shows how much the crowd s into it.
What I usually do though is make the encore CROWD a separate track so the listener can decide what they wish to do with it.
That way it's as simple as not adding it to the que.

EDIT:
Indeed   ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:00:46 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

adrianf74

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »
Personally I love the encore chants/call for more. It shows how much the crowd s into it.
What I usually do though is make the encore CROWD a separate track so the listener can decide what they wish to do with it.

Exactly.  However, I usually leave the encore chants/etc. as the end of the last song before the break.  That way, you can just hit "skip" and carry on.  :)

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 12:21:32 AM »

??? not if you don't want to lose the first set

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 02:18:45 AM »

This.

adrianf74

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 02:39:27 AM »

I think there was some slight sarcasm involved in that comment.  :)

If you actually formatted the card, a) it'd be funny and b) you'd lose the first set (as you pointed out).

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »

It's more important to make certain I don't have any issues recording the second set.

If I have time, I'll even format before the encore.  But those larger cards can take a while to format.  I don't want to be formatting when the music's playing.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
It's more important to make certain I don't have any issues recording the second set.

If I have time, I'll even format before the encore.  But those larger cards can take a while to format.  I don't want to be formatting when the music's playing.

Words of wisdom. ;D

There is something to be said for listening in reverse order for similar reasons.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »
Between Sets: Stop

Between Set and Encore: let it record. A bit of the audience begging for encore belongs to the recording. if too long i can always shorten later if needed. And even after that let the recorder run until the lights go on again, or they begin to build down the equipment of the band.

Not mentioned yet. But if a tech. issue happens to the band (guitar amp broken or like that) i let it record too. you don't know what happens in that situation and you can catch some unique situations on the recording.

2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
If I am stealthing, I often tend to leave the recorder running.  No sense in drawing attendtion to myself, by fooling with knobs and bouncing red lights.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »
If I am stealthing, I often tend to leave the recorder running.  No sense in drawing attendtion to myself, by fooling with knobs and bouncing red lights.

Yup.. no sense in touching anything until you're safely in the parking lot. Makes for some great tapes too when you catch your friends' drunken chatter. :)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 03:50:15 PM »
Makes for some great tapes too when you catch your friends' drunken chatter. :)

Truly. :yack:

Offline tay666

• Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »

Exactly.  However, I usually leave the encore chants/etc. as the end of the last song before the break.  That way, you can just hit "skip" and carry on.  :)

For me, it depends on how long the chanting is.
If it is several minutes, then I will usually make it a stand-alone track.
But if it is only 2 or 3 minutes, then I leave it at the tail end of the track before it.
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »

Because I haven't as much as touched the gain on any device in the meantime, the levels are the same.

YMMV (but I doubt it).

Exactly what I do!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 02:39:53 AM »

YMMV (but I doubt it).

Here's what I do as well :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com