Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: jb3 external power II...  (Read 72847 times)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
Re: jb3 external power II...
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2005, 10:10:29 AM »
Looking for some feedback here.
I hacked a lighter adapter that lets you adjust the voltage.
I have everything connected and I see the green LED  turn on, on the lighter adapter.
The lighter adapter is only rated up to 1000 mah, that is not going to cut it is it?
I read in the archive peak power is 1.2 mah. So I am guessing it is not going to fly with only 1?
When I plug in the external (battery) power the unit powers up. But it does not seem to actually
run the unit. If I take the internal battery out, the unit will not power up or anything.
My voltmeter does not go down that low to test the power so I am not sure what the voltage is.
I left the JB3 on the external battery overnight just to see if it was working or not and of course
this morning the internal battery was dead.
Besides going out and buying a new adapter rated at a higher MAH, and buying a voltmeter
to test things with, any  ideas ? Get a new adapter rated at a higher MAH?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2005, 11:12:55 AM »
Looking for some feedback here.
I hacked a lighter adapter that lets you adjust the voltage.
I have everything connected and I see the green LED  turn on, on the lighter adapter.
The lighter adapter is only rated up to 1000 mah, that is not going to cut it is it?
I read in the archive peak power is 1.2 mah. So I am guessing it is not going to fly with only 1?
When I plug in the external (battery) power the unit powers up. But it does not seem to actually
run the unit. If I take the internal battery out, the unit will not power up or anything.
My voltmeter does not go down that low to test the power so I am not sure what the voltage is.
I left the JB3 on the external battery overnight just to see if it was working or not and of course
this morning the internal battery was dead.
Besides going out and buying a new adapter rated at a higher MAH, and buying a voltmeter
to test things with, any  ideas ? Get a new adapter rated at a higher MAH?
I'm not sure that anyone ever tried and failed with a 1 mah converter.  The 1.2 thing came up because that is what the included jb3 ac power converter puts out (If my memory serves)  seems to me that it was only assumed that 1mah would not power the unit up, but it would run it.  IF it does nothing without the internals, you should double check your polarity (and make sure you are set at 4.5-5v).  You probably have the adaptaplug reversed.  I'm betting that the 1mah will work just fine, as the factory converters are usually over rated for power anyway.  In the first 3000 posts on this subject somebody quoted a test from another forum stating that the current draw during startup peaked at about 1mah (here again... if memory serves).  Try the polarity, and then let us know what happens.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2005, 11:19:12 AM »
Yea I flipped the adaptaplug around a few different times, I thought that was the problem.
Hmm.. Well I guess I need to find a voltmeter that reads that low.
I also want to try a different adaptaplug. I just was using one that came with the car kit.
Maybe...
I also thought about the startup juice that it requires that is why I tested without the internal after
the JB3 powered up. Can't do much now while at work but food for thought for tonight.
+T for the reply
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2005, 11:29:01 AM »
You should also try starting the unit up on the internalsand then pulling them after you are running... that will tell the tale.  +T back atcha
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2005, 11:36:37 AM »
You should also try starting the unit up on the internalsand then pulling them after you are running... that will tell the tale. +T back atcha
Matt
Yea I did that right after I first tried to see if the external was actually powering the unit.
After I had all the wires soldered together, I plugged it into the Jb3, the unit instantly powered on.
I was happy with that, so I then proceeded to remove the internal.
As soon as the internal was removed the Unit shut down. :(
I also as you mentioned powered it up off the internal, then plugged in the external.
The little icon stayed on the battery icon. I then removed the internal and again the Unit instantly powered down.
As I mentioned I am getting power to the actual adapter, or at least the green led on the adapter turns on...  I kept the wires correct so I know those are not backwards and the solder job was pretty decent. Or maybe I am kidding myself ;)
Maybe the light in the head will flip when i get home and mess with it again.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »
I know when I wired mine up (2mah wallmart adaptor) I had it all wired perfect and nothing, but then I switched the adaptaplug around and it worked.  The directions for tip/ring on the convertor were confusing.  Good luck!

Matt

thierryhenry

« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2005, 12:30:52 PM »
so.......are orders being placed to leegeddy for this?  I think there are many that would love to have this...including me....

any ideas on the $??  time??

looks great..+t

glad to see you got settled in to hotlanta!

Is Legeddy offering his services in building one of these? If so I'd love to get in on it. Thanks.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2005, 12:35:16 PM »
Is Legeddy offering his services in building one of these? If so I'd love to get in on it. Thanks.

im not sure, i know me and bean are gonna test run a few of them

and i can tell you now, the price will be right ;)

thierryhenry

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2005, 12:38:12 PM »

im not sure, i know me and bean are gonna test run a few of them

and i can tell you now, the price will be right ;)

"The price is wrong. BITCH."

:)

jimmc

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2005, 09:32:43 PM »
Well my little DIY project for the day was to build a VR like lee's.  But I got to thinking about powering my jb3 with stuff I had around the house.  I use to power my JB3 with an SLA>Radio Shack Car Adaptor with mulit voltage setting set on 4.5.  I began thinking why wire a board when I can just hack this thing.  So here is my latest solution.  It runs on a Walmart Lion battery.

Parts:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F002%5F004&product%5Fid=273%2D1811
(I had the older model with a wheel like selector)
Walmart Lion battery
Power cable from Lion battery
butt connectors
wire striper

Open up the car adaptor.  Cut the read and black wires attached to the cigarett plug (Cut them as close to the cigaret plug as possible).  Strip off 1/2 and inch on insulation.  Hack the lion cable, cut it as close the tip as possible.  The tip opposite of the one that plugs into the battery.  Use a butt connector to connect the red wires from the cable and the red wire from the car adaptor.  Do the same with the black.  Screw the car adaptor back together and you are ready to go to town.  If you dont use the Lion battery form walmart you can use RC batteries, but but use a female connector.  Its really easy.

I took my dremel and hollowed out the old cigaret molding, so it protects my butt connectors.  Just b/c I could.

Bagtagsell,
I just finished doing the mod that you described a few pages back (page 4) and just wanted to give
you a HUGE + Friggin' T for posting this !!!!!!!
It only took about 15mins to do, and it worked like a charm.
Also, just to let everyone know, the power adapter that is in the pics on page 4, is being discontinued, so I was able to buy it on clearance for $9.95.
Also, the specs for the adapter I bought were that it was a 1.2amp adapter. I think this is probably the minimum that will work. Yesterday, I had a sony car lighter adapter just collecting dust at home, so I tried to hack that instead of buying one. It was a 4.5v w/ 1amp, but it didnt work.  It scrolled through the Creative screen, then to the EAX screen, but that is as far as it went, then it turned off and repeated the same thing over and over. W/ the 1.2 amp adapter, it fired right up just like it had AC power or the internal batts.
Total cost in parts was ~$15.  $9.95 for the adapter, and $3.95 for the adapta-plug to fit the JB3.
Pretty awesome since the JB3 replacement batts are ~$60/each now.
Oh, I am using the Wally World 9v batt if I didnt already mention it.  Now to do some testing tomorrow w/ the Wally World batt fully charged to see what the record time length is.
My JB3 batt issue is no more!!!!!!
Again... Huge +T.
Jim :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2005, 10:53:44 PM »
Well my little DIY project for the day was to build a VR like lee's.  But I got to thinking about powering my jb3 with stuff I had around the house.  I use to power my JB3 with an SLA>Radio Shack Car Adaptor with mulit voltage setting set on 4.5.  I began thinking why wire a board when I can just hack this thing.  So here is my latest solution.  It runs on a Walmart Lion battery.

Parts:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F002%5F004&product%5Fid=273%2D1811
(I had the older model with a wheel like selector)
Walmart Lion battery
Power cable from Lion battery
butt connectors
wire striper

Open up the car adaptor.  Cut the read and black wires attached to the cigarett plug (Cut them as close to the cigaret plug as possible).  Strip off 1/2 and inch on insulation.  Hack the lion cable, cut it as close the tip as possible.  The tip opposite of the one that plugs into the battery.  Use a butt connector to connect the red wires from the cable and the red wire from the car adaptor.  Do the same with the black.  Screw the car adaptor back together and you are ready to go to town.  If you dont use the Lion battery form walmart you can use RC batteries, but but use a female connector.  Its really easy.

I took my dremel and hollowed out the old cigaret molding, so it protects my butt connectors.  Just b/c I could.

Bagtagsell,
I just finished doing the mod that you described a few pages back (page 4) and just wanted to give
you a HUGE + Friggin' T for posting this !!!!!!!
It only took about 15mins to do, and it worked like a charm.
Also, just to let everyone know, the power adapter that is in the pics on page 4, is being discontinued, so I was able to buy it on clearance for $9.95.
Also, the specs for the adapter I bought were that it was a 1.2amp adapter. I think this is probably the minimum that will work. Yesterday, I had a sony car lighter adapter just collecting dust at home, so I tried to hack that instead of buying one. It was a 4.5v w/ 1amp, but it didnt work.  It scrolled through the Creative screen, then to the EAX screen, but that is as far as it went, then it turned off and repeated the same thing over and over. W/ the 1.2 amp adapter, it fired right up just like it had AC power or the internal batts.
Total cost in parts was ~$15.  $9.95 for the adapter, and $3.95 for the adapta-plug to fit the JB3.
Pretty awesome since the JB3 replacement batts are ~$60/each now.
Oh, I am using the Wally World 9v batt if I didnt already mention it.  Now to do some testing tomorrow w/ the Wally World batt fully charged to see what the record time length is.
My JB3 batt issue is no more!!!!!!
Again... Huge +T.
Jim :)

+T for fixing it so quickly
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2005, 12:50:01 AM »
Just tryin to give back some of what I have taken.  I didn't know that model was being discontinued, but I picked up the remaing stock at my local radioshack.  If anyone needs one I can make them for the price of parts.  Just pm me.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2005, 01:03:20 AM »
Just tryin to give back some of what I have taken. I didn't know that model was being discontinued, but I picked up the remaing stock at my local radioshack. If anyone needs one I can make them for the price of parts. Just pm me.

id prolly snatch up one if leegedy wasnt making some demo units to be tested of his VR box ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2005, 11:43:58 AM »
someone needs to test this puppy with the ua5->jb3  since both of you guys are running v3...

i will hum(bum)blee offer my services   ;) ;D
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2005, 11:44:42 AM »
hopefully il be testing it with mmp > v3 > jb3 :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com