Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable stereo system for a bicycle!  (Read 11387 times)

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Portable stereo system for a bicycle!
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:52:37 AM »
I want to build a stereo system for my bicycle and I figured that I would probably get the best advice in a forum for tapers....people that know about portable gear and how to power it.
I'm not the first to take on a project like this, so, I will start everyone off with a couple examples:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/183/5722/640/DSCN0099.jpg

http://www.teambadmonkey.com/howto/cooler.php

Most people tend to use heavy but powerful components to make a 'bumpin' system and they usually weigh in at about 40 pounds.
I want to revise the technique a little but (actually a lot) and make a light-weight system that still delivers good strong sound.

So, here's my idea:
1. replace the car/marine/gelllcell/etc. battery with possibly a lithium-ion pack.
2. use a power effiecient amp that can still drive decent speakers. (i heard about digital amps?)
3. find a really efficient/water-proof speaker that can pump out good sound.
4. put a solar panel on top that can recharge the battery.

I'm looking for advice in all these areas.
So, if you have something to share and want to...please do!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Portable stereo system for a bicycle!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 09:44:29 AM »
send a PM to this guy, he's got a thumpin system going on his segway. ;D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 10:15:28 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 03:44:13 PM »
Well,
I found some information on 'T-amps' (class-T amplifiers)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/tripath_amps_e.html

http://www.41hz.com/

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:56:56 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

where does he keep his gun on that thing?

;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 07:11:07 PM »
sorry you couldnt get help, Larry. I suspect that audio isnt a high priority on a bicycle. particularly for those of us who use bikes to exercise. isnt that sort of thing distracting and dangerous?

Well,
I found some information on 'T-amps' (class-T amplifiers)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/tripath_amps_e.html

http://www.41hz.com/

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 08:09:21 PM »
i recently bought one of those t-amps after hearing great reviews about it, haven't had a chance to hook it up yet though. its really small and can be powered by internal 8-AA batteries, i was going to suggest looking into them, they can be found pretty cheap on ebay.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 08:47:51 PM »
sorry you couldnt get help, Larry. I suspect that audio isnt a high priority on a bicycle. particularly for those of us who use bikes to exercise. isnt that sort of thing distracting and dangerous?

Thanks for making me laugh Teddy!
That was a pretty funny comment from someone that use the slogan 'Needs to get out more...'
But seriously, I ride for excercise, fun, meditation and all sorts of reasons.....basically....I ride a lot.
This project is just a geeky thing for the most part.

RebelRebel

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 09:45:27 PM »
make sure you get a low rider bike and some daytons. ;D (germans have a tv show that is a ripoff of pimp my ride where they trick out bicycles...)

Thanks for making me laugh Teddy!
That was a pretty funny comment from someone that use the slogan 'Needs to get out more...'
But seriously, I ride for excercise, fun, meditation and all sorts of reasons.....basically....I ride a lot.
This project is just a geeky thing for the most part.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 10:13:25 PM »
Dude has taste...just check the beer label.

A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 10:42:41 AM »
Can't find a link or photo, but a few years ago I was researching stereo dipole/transaural technology that cancels crosstalk bewteen the speakers.  I was experimenting with doing it mechanically with two computer speakers on the floor sandwiching a big sheet of plywood perpendicular to the wall.  Sit with your butt against the wall and the plywood up to your face and the stereo image wraps way out to the sides even though the speakers directly infront of you.  Interesting stuff.  There are some fancy & quite expensive implementations of this that use digital cross-talk cancellation instead of a physical barrier, but in my web searches I came across an inexpensive little stereo dipole gaming speaker that could be placed ontop of a TV or on the floor infront of the gamer, which had a DC power input & 1/8" line in jack and was about the size and shape of a good sized pair of binoculars - cheap, plastic and lightweight.  Could be pretty cool mounted just behind the headset pointing up at you since it's designed for a single listener, nearfield in the sweet spot.  Fancier implementaions in cars had problems with reflections off the side windows which wouln't be a problem here.  Wish I could find it again.  It would certainly beat the bolt-on boom boxes with beer holders glued on the side that the beach bum drunks that have lost their drivers licenses sport around here. [edit: that is my neighborhood, not TS]  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:44:40 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline AndresPope

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 04:44:53 AM »
I want to build a stereo system for my bicycle and I figured that I would probably get the best advice in a forum for tapers....people that know about portable gear and how to power it.
I'm not the first to take on a project like this, so, I will start everyone off with a couple examples:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/183/5722/640/DSCN0099.jpg

http://www.teambadmonkey.com/howto/cooler.php

Most people tend to use heavy but powerful components to make a 'bumpin' system and they usually weigh in at about 40 pounds.
I want to revise the technique a little but (actually a lot) and make a light-weight system that still delivers good strong sound.

So, here's my idea:
1. replace the car/marine/gelllcell/etc. battery with possibly a lithium-ion pack.
2. use a power effiecient amp that can still drive decent speakers. (i heard about digital amps?)
3. find a really efficient/water-proof speaker that can pump out good sound.
4. put solar panels on top that can recharge the battery.

I'm looking for advice in all these areas.
So, if you have something to share and want to...please do!

Sounds really very impressive stereo system to me.. I have got new bicycle and I would love to have similar similar portable stereo system..
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:52:09 AM by AndresPope »

Offline Nick Danger

• Taperssection Newbie
  • What about my pickle?!
    • Pick Up Artist
Hug your dog.

My currrent wishlist: http://bluenote1553.tumblr.com/wishlist

Offline steveneudaly

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Most comfortable behind a console.
    • Steven Eudaly: The Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:09:59 PM »
+1 on the Grace Eco Extreme.

I also strap a Bosch PowerBox to my rear rack.  A heavy load, but will pump out the tunes for group rides.  And the 18v drill batteries last a good 5 hours plus. 

stevetoney

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
Holy crap man.  I just ran across this thread and, in an instant, the thread title alone brought back a flood of kid memories.

I had a Schwinn 10-speed and when I was a junior in High School in 1974, I had two-a-days football practice that started I think three weeks before the regular school year started.  It was hotter than shit man and we're out there doing excercises to get in shape and the coach was kicking our asses so we'd be ready for the first game of the season like 2 weeks after school started.  Anyway, since school hadn't started yet, we had to get to practice on our own.  My folks both worked, so I had to ride my bike back and forth to practice twice a day...it was about 7 miles each way.  So I remember buying a strap-on-the-handlebars radio that summer.  What specifically do I remember from that summer besides 2-a-days in the heat?

'Takin' Care of Business' by Bachman Turner Overdrive and that radio.  LOL.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »
I got one of these back in the day when they first came out in the mid 70's.  Used to be fun looking forward to and picking up the new Radio Shack catalog each year! 

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:10:46 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com