Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Inexpensive mic recommendations for recording techniques class  (Read 13053 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
I'll be leading a session next week for my school district's music department on basic classroom and concert recording.  I'd like to get some more ideas for inexpensive mics that are readily available at the usual places.  To keep things simple, I'll restrict my choices to omnis and cards, unless there are switchable-pattern mics that fit the bill, such as Avantone CK-1.

For example, I'd recommend a pair of 853s.  If I was buying them for myself, I'd go to Ted or Robb first, but I know Sound Professionals sells them also (for more $$$).  I'd also recommend my Line Audio and Naiant mics as others that punch above their weight.  What other mics should I have on my list of inexpensive-but-quality?  My only experiences with models from the big brands are models that run over $1k each.  The most expensive mics I'd have on my list are the new AKG 314 at $1500/pair, and that's pushing it.

I'm also trying to stay away from fixed stereo mics like the Rode NT4, as part of my session will discuss how different situations require flexibility.  Most of the people I'll be speaking to think that X/Y is the only way to use of a pair of cardioids, and have no experience using omni mics at all.  While I won't have time to get into SRA, I am going to demonstrate recordings made with different arrangements to show the pros/cons of each and where you might best employ those techniques.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their recommendations!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Inexpensive mic recommendations for recording techniques class
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:08:51 AM »
Consider the Shure KSM141, at $900/kit pair with X/Y bar in a box. They are mechanically switched single diaphragm cardioid/omni, similar to the Schoeps design. You show up with 2 mics, then decide whether to do spaced omni or your cardioid configurations.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:32:17 AM »
OK.  I'll play. 

Lots to choose from, especially with the avalanche of Chinese mics now on the market (Rode, ADK and Avantone seem pretty consistent, although I'm not enamored of many of the other brands out there).  It also depends on how you are using the mic and whether you are, performing, recording live or in a studio.  It is worthwhile looking for used microphones on e-bay, Gearslutz, MusicGoRound and the Yard Sale.  There are also many discontinued microphones that are excellent and which should be considered.  I am generally going to list mics that I am familiar with by the major manufacturers and which can be found new or used for under $500 or so.

For inexpensive dynamic mics, I'd start with the ubiquitous Shure SM57 for instruments and SM58 for vocals.  Typically used for either performance or close micing in the studio.  About $100 each new last I looked.  I like the Audix versions better for vocals myself (OM6 and OM7 - $220-230 new).  The Telefunken M80 is also a good, albeit hotter, mic of this type.  The Audix i5 isn't bad for a dynamic instrument mic (about $100 new).  The Beyer M201 is also good for a dynamic instrument mic.

For better, but still inexpensive, dynamic mics for studio work, I really, really like the EV RE20 and Shure SM7b mics.  New, they are about $350-450 and you can find them used for $300 or so.  Terrific for vocals for many vocalists (Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder among others). The RE-20 is also a really great live sax mic as well.  These are originally broadcast mics and are really great all purpose recording mics, although you do need some preamp gain for them.  Mine have been borrowed so much for recording that I now have 3 SM7s and haven't seen my RE20 in a couple years.  Other considerations for better dynamic mics, especially for vocals, include the Beyer M88 and the Sennheiser MD431 and 441.  The discontinued Beyer M500, which is a ribbon, can also be a great vocal mic on the right voice.

If your students want to troll e-bay, the EV RE10, RE11, RE15, RE16 and RE18 are also very good dynamic mics (good enough for Frank Sinatra) and can often be found for pretty cheap.  I believe all are discontinued except for the RE16, which is a vocal mic.

For Small Diaphragm mics, there are the usual suspects we all know and love including the Oktava, AKG 460 and 480, and the Beyer MC 910, 930 and 950.  I also like the Audio Technica line which IMHO is under appreciated.  The AT 4041 is priced very reasonably new at @ $300 or so ($500 for a pair).  The AT 4049 (omni), 4051 (card) and 4053 (hyper) are better and can often be found used for @$250-300 each (capsules can be swapped, the bodies are the same).  The Shure KSM 141 dual pattern mic is also very good for the price ($400 new).  It is worth looking for discontinued mic lines such as the Beyer MC800 and 700 lines with the changeable capsules.  These are scarce, but do turn up from time to time (there is a pair for sale in the Yard Sale currently).

For LD condenser mics, better performing vocal mics in the $500-700 new range would include the Neumann KMS105, Audix VX10, Audio Technica AE5400 and Sennheiser e965.  Obviously, these can be used in the studio as well, especially if the singer wants to hold the mic. Again, these can often be found on e-bay for substantially less, often in the $350 range (except for Neumann).

The AKG C535eb condenser mic is a good vocal condenser mic that also works well on instruments and is $300 new and @$160 used.  Well worth considering if the better vocal condensers are too spendy.  The Audio Technica AE5100 is also a very good instrument LD mic for close micing ($280 new).

For LD multi-pattern mics, AKG C414 (in all its permutations - used $500-600), AT 4050 (used @$400).   Rode, ADK, Avantone and Blue have all made some very decent mics in this category and there are a huge number of other Chinese mics in this category as well.  There are often cardioid only versions of the same mics available (or at least similar models like the AT4033 and 4047) like the Beyer MC 834 (the more expensive multi-pattern is the MC 740).

Older Groove Tubes mics can be very decent.  The really old ones (Models MD1, MD2 and MD3) are arguably the best, were made in the US and can still be $500 or more.  The Chinese manufactured models (in concert with Alesis and M Audio) were often decent as they had higher QA than many of the other Chinese manufactured mics of the time. In particular, I liked the AM40/GT44 Medium Diaphragm tube mic.  At one point GC was blowing these out for $200. They originally listed for @ $600 if I remember correctly.  Worth buying if you run across one and the price is right.  There was also a FET version AM30/GT33 which was decent but not spectacular.  In any event better than the overhyped AKG C1000s of the era (although I understand the new ones are better).  There were also a number of Chinese manufactured GT LD mics, including multi-pattern mics that were decent and which should be a bargain now.

We could include ribbons too, but I don't know if you plan to go there.  A lot more of those around now as well.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:40:48 AM by pohaku »
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 06:50:46 AM »
I use the Avantone CK1 mics mostly these days (until I take the next step in upgrading) and am very happy with them.
For 1/2 the price I'd recommend the Samson CO2 matched pair cardioids, the mics that got me started on a budget.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=294039&gclid=CP7W_JfBvMcCFYGRHwodNOkEeA&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

Offline voltronic

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 08:42:40 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations so far.  To clarify, I'm mainly interested in new mics to recommend to people.  If teachers decide to purchase using district funds, only new items are allowed on purchase orders.  They could certainly buy used or if pocket, but I'm trying to keep this simple for everyone.

Any thoughts on the Studio Projects C4?  A local recording engineer uses them as string section spots in choir / orchestra concerts I've been a part of.  I've only ever heard them in that context in the final mix, so I can't really judge what they're like on their own.  When I talked to the guy, he was really enthusiastic about them.  He uses DPA 4006 for the choir, so he's got pretty good taste.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »
Rode NT5 and Oktava MK-12 are also on my list of possibilities.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
I have never owned or used one, but I see the Behringer B2 Pro multiple pattern mic sometimes recommended at GS.  https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/behringerb2.htm  There was a recording posted in the remote section with one of these in the past year or so that was pretty good, I thought. 

Although I have the NT5, it is bright to my ears.  I vastly prefer the Line Audio CM3 over the NT5 and would probably lean towards recommending what I know over what I don't know.     

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »
I have never owned or used one, but I see the Behringer B2 Pro multiple pattern mic sometimes recommended at GS.  https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/behringerb2.htm  There was a recording posted in the remote section with one of these in the past year or so that was pretty good, I thought. 

Although I have the NT5, it is bright to my ears.  I vastly prefer the Line Audio CM3 over the NT5 and would probably lean towards recommending what I know over what I don't know.   

Thanks for that.  For true bargain-basement, I've also read surprisingly good things about the Behringer C-2 ($60/pr). 

Also mega-cheap, the Monoprice 600700 at $100/pr.  Great review of them in TapeOp, and they look suspiciously similar to the Avantone CK-1s.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »
For new I would go with Studio Projects C4 or Avantones. The SPs ship in a flight case with card and omni capsules, shock mounts and a tbar. Pretty much plug and play for stereo recording. Sound good especially for the price.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »
For new I would go with Studio Projects C4 or Avantones. The SPs ship in a flight case with card and omni capsules, shock mounts and a tbar. Pretty much plug and play for stereo recording. Sound good especially for the price.

I would agree with that if you are going for new and cheap small D mics.  After that probably the AT4041, Line Audio and the Oktavas.  Next step up would be the AT405X line, Beyer MC930/950 and the Shure KSM 141.  I'd put the AKG C480 in that group as well, but they are @ $1000 new with capsule.

I'm sure I have missed some of the less expensive, but decent mics out there, but these are the ones I have used, owned or which come to mind.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
For cheap omnis I would go for the line Audio OM1 - very inexpensive and punch well above their weight in quality.

The Line Audio CM3 is called a "cardioid" on their website but, in reality, is more of a wide-cardioid - excellent for the price.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
For cheap omnis I would go for the line Audio OM1 - very inexpensive and punch well above their weight in quality.

The Line Audio CM3 is called a "cardioid" on their website but, in reality, is more of a wide-cardioid - excellent for the price.

I know - I own the CM3, but maybe you were posting this for the benefit of others here.  See the Team Line Audio link in my signature for samples of what I've done with them.  :)  I find that the wider pattern and better off-axis response make them much more flexible / forgiving at greater distances than standard cardioids, and up close I never find them to be too bright.  The only negative is that they are very sensitive to vibration, and are so lightweight that they need special care with shock mounting.  The best option I've found are the softest 62-shore Rycote lyres.

OM1 is on my list of possible future purchases - every recording I hear of them knocks me out given what they cost.  Currently the only omnis I'd rather own instead are DPA 4060s or 4006s.

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »
Busman has some that fit your price range
http://www.busmanaudio.com/microphones.html

Offline buckster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 02:52:46 PM »
Thanks to the folks on this site I assembled a budget rig and went with the SP-C4's last year as my first step up from a Zoom H4N and I've been very happy with them.  Obviously, since I have no experience with higher-end mics, there was probably no way I'd be disappointed in them!     

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com