Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New DPA Miniature Omni  (Read 2519 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
New DPA Miniature Omni
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Microphone-University/product-info/dscreet-Slim-Miniature-Omnidirectional-Microphone.aspx

A new variant of DPA miniature omni...

[EDIT:  Looking at the specs, maybe the same diaphragm as the 4060, with new packaging?]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:54:30 AM by aaronji »

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: New DPA Miniature Omni
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/25981-dpa-slim/

You guessed correctly.  The new design seems better for lav use, but I'd rather have the old style for recording as a pair so you can use the different grids or no grid as needed by application.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 12:26:29 PM »
I was thinking this design might be good for making a pair of true binaural mics...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »
I came across this a couple days ago.

I originally assumed this new version was side address rather than end-address, with a new form-fitting housing around the rectangular internal capsule, partly due to  that button hole attachment thing. However the photo of the concealer on the DPA website seems to show only the end of the mic uncovered by the clear plastic portion of the concealer, so now I'm uncertain of that.  Would need to examine the mic and maybe the button hole thing and concealers to determine exactly how it is configured.  Here's the photo of the mic in the new concealer-

The info about the concealers on the DPA site seems like the new modular concealer design may carry over to the standard 406x models.  I'll be curious about that as those may prove very useful for existing 406x mics.

The new slims would only really seem to be useful to us for situations where side-address works better because of the mounting configuration, assuming it actually is side address.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »
See the posts from RadoStefanov in the JWSound thread I linked above.  Apparently he had a hand in designing this, and he confirms that it is the same capsule as the old style with a more fitted cap.  To me that means it must be side address.

I'm not sure how that button hole concealer works though - where's the sound path to the capsule?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
The photo above is the under-garment concealer.  Looks tight around the capsule with no obvious entry except from the end.  Might have a hole on the face which is not easily seen, or might make the mic end address went fitted in the concealer, even if the mic itself is side address, by having enough space to allow passage of sound from the end to the side-address entry. [shrug]

In contrast, the photos of the button-hole 'grid' show the little tube exiting the side, which would seem to indicate the mic underneath is side address.  But it's hard to tell from the photos as that grid looks like it could have some space underneath.

The dimensions of the mic are so small and it's pickup pattern so omnidirectional that orientation doesn't really matter much, except in mounting situations where the entry port may be blocked.. and in that case it does make a difference.

The advantage for most users will be the flat format which may be easier to mount and conceal on talent without blocking the ports.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
I saw these at AES yesterday.

It's side address, but like the older 4060/4061 has a very high quality omni pattern.

As is, it has a 3 dB boost at 5 - 20 kHz.

The button-hole mount has a frequency response of 20 Hz to 18 kHz, with a 7 dB boost at 5 - 18 kHz. Probably not what you want for stealth taping of music unless you EQ afterwards.

The concealer adds a more severe high boost, to compensate for burying it under a layer of clothing.

Nice, effective strain relief.

(Core Sound is a full-line DPA dealer.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:52:48 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 03:22:01 PM »
Thanks for the first-hand report Len.  It would seem this mic has a native response similar to using the 4060/1/3 with a short grid. 

It also seems the new concealer design is not only different in design from the older concealer by being modular, but is also different in response, acting something like installation of a high-boost grid.  The older 4060/1/3 concealer doesn't alter the mic's frequency response.  You get whatever response you had with mic+grid, only with a smooth housing that helps prevents noise by keeping fabric from rubbing directly against the grid surface.  By contrast, the 4060/1/3/ boundary mount adapters do alter the mic's response somewhat beyond that imposed by the grid.  Not much, compared to just boundary-mounting the mics without the adapters, but audibly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com