Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Camvate Crab Clamp review  (Read 2574 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Camvate Crab Clamp review
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »
For years I was bewildered by all the options in clamping. So many clamps, extensions, adapters, articulated arms, etc., that I avoided it. And for most of my 20 year taping career, it wasn't an issue. In that time, there were maybe three or four times (out of a dozen or so shows a year) when clamping would have been the best option, so I wanted a clamping solution, but one that wouldn't break the bank. I wanted to keep it under $50. So when Camvate introduced their Crab Clamp, I jumped on it: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434572-REG/camvate_c1196_crab_clamp_with_ball.html

It's a clamp made for mics, which is what drew me to it first. Adapting the various thread sizes and pitches to match my mic-stand-standard stereo bar was always the most confusing for me, but this clamp eliminates that. It feels pretty well-made, and was plenty strong to hold my shotguns plus the weight of the cables. There's one thumbscrew to hold the "arm" in place, which I didn't think was ideal, but it ended up working out fine. The real issue, though, was the clamp itself. It's too small. Saturday night taping Umphrey's at the Masonic Auditorium in Cleveland, I had the perfect spot in the front row of the mezzanine (Hi Jim from Dayton!). The clamp, however, didn't clamp to the rail. It opened wide, but once it was opened wide enough, the angle of the jaws was too large to grab onto the railing. Luckily, I was able to clamp to Jim's stand which worked out perfect. That setup is pictured below.

Bottom line: For $20, I felt it was worth it, but it needs something larger to clamp to an average (3") railing. I'll probably buy another, larger clamp to clamp it to, but I really like the fact that it's for mics and needs no adapters, and it's small enough to easily fit in my small bag. Good starter clamp.

"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com