Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps A20 Clone - new source  (Read 3358 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Schoeps A20 Clone - new source
« on: February 14, 2016, 08:48:09 AM »
For those looking for the super cheap (but excellent) Schoeps A20 knock-off, it's comes up as no longer available on eBay or AliExpress.  I found that the seller has their own webstore now, and they are still selling it:

http://www.wgtcenter.com/microphone-accessories/shock-mount/microphone-clip-clamp-holder-shock-mount-suspension-22mm-shotgun-pencil-pro-a20-elastic-swivel.html

I have two of these, and while they are nowhere close in performance to my Rycote INV mounts, they get the job done for heavier pencil mics or supporting custom round-stock bar assemblies, etc.  IMO, they are also more durable than the Schoeps mounts, albeit slightly larger. 

Note that the cradle is 22mm; not 20mm as it is on the Schoeps.  I consider this a plus, since you can use it with a greater range of mics.  I line the cradles of mine with self-adhesive felt pads which allow me to customize how snugly the mic is held, and also avoid any chance of scratching.

They are almost exactly like the Nady version I posted about some time ago (no longer available):
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=166001.0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: Schoeps A20 Clone - new source
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:49:24 PM »
Thanks for the link!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 01:28:16 PM »
Thanks - marking thread.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline connloyalist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »
I don't know if it is exactly the same thing, but a pair extremely similar to these came with my Advanced Audio CM1084's. On those, the small plastic "handle" just above the knuckle (pivot?) doesn't appear to serve any useful purpose whatsoever. It certainly doesn't tighten it up in whatever chosen position. To do that requires a screwdriver to tighten the bolt running through the knuckle.

I quickly replaced them with Rycote INV 7's.

Regards, Christine

Offline voltronic

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:06:16 AM »
I don't know if it is exactly the same thing, but a pair extremely similar to these came with my Advanced Audio CM1084's. On those, the small plastic "handle" just above the knuckle (pivot?) doesn't appear to serve any useful purpose whatsoever. It certainly doesn't tighten it up in whatever chosen position. To do that requires a screwdriver to tighten the bolt running through the knuckle.

I quickly replaced them with Rycote INV 7's.

Regards, Christine

It's meant to hold the mic cable in place.  The original Schoeps mounts have this part also, but I never found it to be of much use and prefer to strain relief father down.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:08:00 AM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:10:03 AM »
the small plastic "handle" just above the knuckle (pivot?) doesn't appear to serve any useful purpose whatsoever. It certainly doesn't tighten it up in whatever chosen position.

I believe that little "handle" is a cable isolation/decoupler point - hooking the mic cable in that "handle" prevents cable handling noise from reaching the mic.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »
the small plastic "handle" just above the knuckle (pivot?) doesn't appear to serve any useful purpose whatsoever. It certainly doesn't tighten it up in whatever chosen position.

I believe that little "handle" is a cable isolation/decoupler point - hooking the mic cable in that "handle" prevents cable handling noise from reaching the mic.

Except it only works if your cable is on the thicker side and with a grippy rubber jacket.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:23 PM »
I use one of the nady types (have like 5 or 6 of em) on my stereo bar(s) and both of my cables from my Milab VM44 Links (like belden 1804) fit nicely into the cable strain relief knob. it hold them in place to '"relieve" the tension or strain on the back of the capsules and yes helps to isolate the capsiles from unwanted noise.
I think I may grab a couple more of thses at that price it's worth getting some back ups.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com