Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recreating Mike Millard Analog Recording Set-Up: AKG 451E CK-1 > Nakamichi 550  (Read 28433 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Great short video.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
That was a great thread!

After reading all of of it through and watching/reading all the links, it seems like it makes sense that the whole ordeal, needs to have 2 identical rigs to cover overlapping the battery swap and tape flips necessary. You could probably do this with 2 tapers, hat-mounting, and each of them running a Nak 250 instead of its older brother. Definitely need a pass to get the gear in, but the whole thing could be done stealth pretty thoroughly that way.

Anyway, this is a totally cool way to spend some time!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline JEMS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
That was a great thread!

After reading all of of it through and watching/reading all the links, it seems like it makes sense that the whole ordeal, needs to have 2 identical rigs to cover overlapping the battery swap and tape flips necessary. You could probably do this with 2 tapers, hat-mounting, and each of them running a Nak 250 instead of its older brother. Definitely need a pass to get the gear in, but the whole thing could be done stealth pretty thoroughly that way.

Anyway, this is a totally cool way to spend some time!

You are on the right path. I realized I would ultimately need two tape decks to cover this right. On stands, you could split the signal to feed both and starting one ten minutes later you'd have full coverage.

It raises a point I often make about why more bands didn't record there shows in the '70s and why trucks were needed. If you wanted to record multi-track, you needed not one but two decks rolling to avoid missing anything. It was a massive undertaking.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Ha! I’m pretty sure in your life of stealth taping you’ve worked harder than most bands ever had at recording themselves!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:15:16 PM by jb63 »
once again, lost in all the noise

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
This is one of my favorite topics on here!  JEMS is a wonderful source of amazing transfers and have done so much for the whole "community" by helping so many people get these tapes out of the attic and properly archived. I love the idea of recreating Mr. Millard's setup! Does anyone recall what setup Mr.Peach (famous Japan taper from the same period) used?

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Juicy Sonic Magic: The Mike Millard Method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9glHolSpco
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
Saw it, so inspiring!
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Cool video, glad to hear this all came to fruition.

If the Nak 550 was a 3-head deck one could patch the separate playback head out to a digital recorder, essentially making the transfer in real-time while capturing the "tape sound".

Flight of fancy- I once had a bunch of RadioShack endless loop cassettes of various length (30 seconds up to at least 5 min, maybe 10 or 20 as I recall).  One could re-string one of the longer ones with the prefered tape of choice, do the "real-time transfer" patch out thing and never have to flip!  Would probably want to change the tape regularly, perhaps even each set, since it would be overwritten a number of times each show. Fun to think about.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Cool video, glad to hear this all came to fruition.

If the Nak 550 was a 3-head deck one could patch the separate playback head out to a digital recorder, essentially making the transfer in real-time while capturing the "tape sound".

Flight of fancy- I once had a bunch of RadioShack endless loop cassettes of various length (30 seconds up to at least 5 min, maybe 10 or 20 as I recall).  One could re-string one of the longer ones with the prefered tape of choice, do the "real-time transfer" patch out thing and never have to flip!  Would probably want to change the tape regularly, perhaps even each set, since it would be overwritten a number of times each show. Fun to think about.

I would think quality would drop off noticeably from running endless loop cassettes, you'd at least want the longest one you could get to minimize the pass count and use a fresh one each show.  I could be wrong! 

I've played with real time playback head digital captures using 1/4" machines in the studio, and while you get some tape sound, you don't get 'playback' tape sound.  The sound most people think of being 'tape sound' on a pro machine comes from a transfer a day or two later, once there's some loss of retention in the treble and it smooths out. 

Very cool thread. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Juicy Sonic Magic: The Mike Millard Method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9glHolSpco

Very Cool, thank you for sharing. Love to read up on the history of our hobby as I only got involved about 5 years ago in the SD Card Age.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I used to have a friend who was the house sound man for the SLO Blues Society in San Luis Obispo, and would let me plug in to the board. He had a Nakamichi 550. They are really large! Even bigger than my Sony TC-153SD.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
I used to have a friend who was the house sound man for the SLO Blues Society in San Luis Obispo, and would let me plug in to the board. He had a Nakamichi 550. They are really large! Even bigger than my Sony TC-153SD.
You ought to try sneaking one into a show! It was quite an ordeal. And I was only the helper (distracting security) a few times. not the actual sneaker inner carrying the deck under a coat.    >:D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
You ought to try sneaking one into a show! It was quite an ordeal. And I was only the helper (distracting security) a few times. not the actual sneaker inner carrying the deck under a coat.    >:D

Same level of difficulty as sneaking in a PCM F-1/SL2000 rig.  Luckily just pat downs then.  Anyone whining about how difficult it is to get an Sony A10, CA9200 CA-14 rig should just carry a Nak 550 around for a day.

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star

That's an impressive feat to get away with considering the size of the deck. I had a friend who was able to smuggle his TCD-D10 into a Dylan show past three security checks and he thought That was something, but, while the D10 is the size of a college text book, it pales in comparison to the size of a 550!

I wish I would have tried to bring my Sony 153 into the 12/5/87 Pink Floyd show in Oakland. Once we got up to the doors there was NO pat down at all! I've never seen a recording of that show.

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
Does Anyone know if Mike Millard recorded any of the Pink Floyd Wall shows at the LA Sports Arena in Feb of '80? I know he recorded the 1975 shows at the LA Sports Arena but I have never seen anything of his from the 1980 run.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com