Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 analog out - settings?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
UA-5 analog out - settings?
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »
I'm looking at running my UA-5 analog out just for some comparisons.

Since I always have been running optical out until now, can anyone give me refresher on which outputs and settings to use?
My understanding is that the RCA jack on the back are the preferred outputs? Any difference to the 1/4" outputs?
Output volume is controlled just by the mic gain knobs, or does any other knob influence this too?
Monitor SW switch should be off, and Input monitor volume knob turned all the way down?
What about the output knob, does it influence the volume of the RCA outputs or is it just controlling the headphone jack?

My mode is a Oave Wmod (non-plus), if that makes any difference.

I'm aware that this info might be in the FAQ somewhere, but perhaps there are other issues not outlined there.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Re: UA-5 analog out - settings?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:10:18 AM »
the input i would keep down just in case it added noise
monitor off
the mic gain effects the output volume
output knob is for the headphone jack BUT IT MIGHT also control the other analogs, I would look into that more
fwiw you are going a>d>a recording this way and its not the best way to do things
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »
no difference between rca & 1/4" outputs.  Output knob controls all outputs.  Monitor volume = off.  Adjust your inputs same as you would normally. IE: mic's or analog input levels where you like them.  I always run the output volume at about 75-80%.  I prefer to give it a little headroom and don't want to drive the internal amp into any clipping or distortion.   The analog out does go analog >digital >analog I have run both outputs at the same time and could never tell the difference side by side but you will get the argument that since it involves an extra stage of conversion you should not do that.   

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »
Thanks!
So the output knob adds additional amplification on the out signal? Or does max output equal line level, while turning it down acts as an attenuator?
I get the part about extra AD conversion. I'm just looking at this as a stopgap until I jump on a littlebox or similar.

Until now I've always ran UA5>H120 optical at 16/44, but since I bought an M10 I was curious to put it behind the UA5 to see if there's any advantage of running 24bit, compared to the iriver.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

kirk97132

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
I don't really know the answer to that.   I do know the output controls both headphones and line level outs at the same time.  I just figured a little headroom would be a good thing.  There is a manual posted here on TS maybe that would shed some light on the type of output structure it has?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:30:43 PM »
This is what I've done, seems to work well.  You have 3 places to adjust gain... this gets 2 out of 3 at a known decent spot, then adjusts the third to make up the difference.  That's a lot better than starving the gain and one spot and cranking the gain elsewhere.
- Set the L/R mic gains similar to what you would for running digi out.  3:00 is a decent starting point.  A blip of the red light once in a while is good.
- Set the gain on you analog recorder to unity gain.  If you don't know that that is, go with "half way", for instance if the range is 0-10, set it at 5.
- The little red light on monitor switch... turn that off.  It will work if it's on, but that means the signal has to take a more roundabout path, and theoretically isn't quite as clean.
- Adjust that headphone jack "output" knob as necessary, watching the meters on your recorder.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com