Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Removing the (small) room from the equation  (Read 2388 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Removing the (small) room from the equation
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
Usually for the things I'm trying to record, I want to capture the space.  A few weeks ago I had to record some practice accompaniment tracks for some of my wife's private voice students.  What I found after moving into the new house is that my piano can be really loud in my studio, a 11' x 11' room with windows on 3 sides and a ceiling that peaks at 14'.  Also, my piano has a really powerful bass for an upright (Yamaha U1).  I experimented with a few things to try to record the piano in a way that sounded good but removed the room boom, and wanted to share the results.  The pieces are nothing spectacular; just a couple Broadway tunes.  A quick run through iZotope RX to remove some LF rumble that must have been coming from the neighbors.

Gershwin
Sondheim

I took some measurements after I finished.  The Line Audio CM3s were mounted facing straight ahead on a followinbob bar, 60 cm wide, capsules were 116 cm from center of piano and 146 cm high.  As you can see, I set them a bit higher than the top of the piano to avoid some of the direct soundboard resonance.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Removing the (small) room from the equation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
Nice. That's a serious bar.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »
Nice sounding recordings of a quite nice sounding upright.  Good timbral balance, and the room does not overly impose "room smallness" in terms of its acoustic signature in the recording.   

I was going to suggest trying your 4060 boundary mounted to the wall immediately behind you, further minimizing the signature of the room by essentially erasing the bounce off that wall, and providing a player's listening perspective, but based on what I hear from your samples there really isn't any need to do so unless you wanted to try it that for fun.

Congratulations on the new house.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:58:16 PM »
Nice sounding recordings of a quite nice sounding upright.  Good timbral balance, and the room does not overly impose "room smallness" in terms of its acoustic signature in the recording.   

I was going to suggest trying your 4060 boundary mounted to the wall immediately behind you, further minimizing the signature of the room by essentially erasing the bounce off that wall, and providing a player's listening perspective, but based on what I hear from your samples there really isn't any need to do so unless you wanted to try it that for fun.

Congratulations on the new house.

Interesting idea.  I don't like listening to player's perspective recordings (which is probably weird since I'm a pianist) but I might try your idea on the opposite wall behind where my mics were set in the picture.  I haven't thought to try omnis in there because there's a pretty significant room mode around 50 Hz, which is nearly the low A-flats you hear throughout the Sondheim, though that piece is quiet enough to not activate it too much.  I've considered some bass traps to clean up the acoustics in there but have found it would take quite an investment to do that properly.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com