Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Live Streaming from a Galaxy S5?  (Read 6482 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Live Streaming from a Galaxy S5?
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »
Apologies as I'm sure this has been covered, but there's a LOT of hits when searching the board for this subject, and most are pretty old. Thinking about trying to stream some shows this weekend. I am running AT853s>Marantz 620. I have a spare set of AT853 like mics that I could just slap into the S5 I think (not sure), but what app are people using to get the sound from phone>internet?

Thanks in advance.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Live Streaming from a Galaxy S5?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »
mixlr is a great app to broadcast from, and it uses almost no data i did a whole show and used around 100mbs
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »
Nice, thanks, just came across that. Only question is if you can use it with an external mic plugged into the phone? Seems like some apps automatically use the built in mic.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
Hey, Matt!  I like where this thread is going.  Carry on.  8)

Oh, and if you want a mk21>lemo rig, you got one.

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
Ha, your thread on PT actually inspired it, so kudos!

Argh, super tempting, but think I will just use the 853>620 rig. Half the reason I decided to downgrade to that was because I spent way too much time at shows living in fear of destroying expensive stuff. Then again, it's a covered venue now, whole different ball game....still lots of wooks though.

Wish you could make it! Been too long.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
Nice, well enjoy!  I'll be on the lookout for your stream.  :headphones:

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »
I've always wondered how you could interface a line out from a pre into a smartphone.  Is anyone doing this?
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
I've always wondered how you could interface a line out from a pre into a smartphone.  Is anyone doing this?

I don't know of any phones that have a stereo line/mic-in.  Even if they did, it'd probably not be up to our demanding specs.

I do it via external USB interface.  I've used the M-Audio Transit(1) and the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.  Android 5.0+ has native support for USB Audio 2.0, but it is several layers removed from the kernel and resamples, etc. making it also not up to our standards of audio quality.  Instead, I have found an excellent app from eXtreme Software Development called USB Audio Recorder Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro&hl=en).  It deals with USB audio directly at the kernel level and can record at the devices max specs (24/96 async for both the Transit and the 2i2).

1. The transit requires runtime firmware that must be loaded to the device at power-up.  I've been able to port the linux loader (madfuloader) to Android, but it requires root access and a command shell.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
Hey GP-

Thanks for your reply.  Very cool.  Do you use the Focusrite as your pre too?  So mics > Focusrite > Android/USB Audio Recorder Pro.  So are you running another app in the background to do the stream, or that a built in capability of the USB Audio Recorder Pro app?  Does the Focusrite run off DC power?

Thanks!
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 12:29:29 PM »
I have streamed from a Galaxy Tab 3, using this (there are many variations that would work): http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Position-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B00CPEZ4J6/ref=pd_sim_107_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=03RAZ24GB7TTJW67DGFJ

Note that the 3.5mm 4-postion jack is meant for a headset, with stereo output, and mono input. Mixlr is a mono stream, but easy to use. With the free app you must restart your stream after 1 hour. (3 hours for the $10/month plan.)
I've witnessed others using external microphones that plug right into the phone/tablet, or used the devices internal mics. But that necessitates positioning or holding the phone.

I used the outs of my recorder (DR-680) into a small mixer, and then outputed to my tab using the above linked cable. My set-up was a bit spread out, but I had plenty of space at the venue I did my trials.
Look forward to more input on this thread to maybe get a better idea for future streaming.

Offline Gene Poole

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
Hey GP-

Thanks for your reply.  Very cool.  Do you use the Focusrite as your pre too?  So mics > Focusrite > Android/USB Audio Recorder Pro.  So are you running another app in the background to do the stream, or that a built in capability of the USB Audio Recorder Pro app?  Does the Focusrite run off DC power?

Thanks!
Jesse

I've used the Focusrite as a pre before, but It is a power hog.  My MP2 will run circles around it with its 2 AAs.  I have a USB battery pack (phone recharger) that works OK to power the Focusrite, but the MP2 still lasts longer with AAs.  I also have a Denecke (as seen in the photo) which is probably the best option for portable 48V.

I've never tried streaming to anything but my SD card.  I'm not sure if it would work, but I'm tempted to try it out now.  I'll report back.

Edit:

Definitely won't work with Mixlr.  Seems it will only use the built-in mic no matter what I use for an external source.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:17:56 PM by Gene Poole »

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 08:32:51 AM »
I used the outs of my recorder (DR-680) into a small mixer, and then outputed to my tab using the above linked cable. My set-up was a bit spread out, but I had plenty of space at the venue I did my trials.
Look forward to more input on this thread to maybe get a better idea for future streaming.

I wonder if I could simply take a headphone out of my m-10 and go into an Android via USB?  I'm not looking for outstanding quality, just trying to figure out how to do a decent stereo audio stream. Has anyone found a streaming app for android that lets you select the input?
http://tinyurl.com/p97napu

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Gene Poole

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
I tried a few free ones but none seemed to work with a USB interface.

The cables you linked to are only for audio out I believe. 

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
How about the old UA-5 as a pre and USB?  It uses the standard "usb-audio" module if I recall correctly.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
this is all really interesting to read. I had no clue you could stream from your phone / broadcast out .... does the same exist for live video? I guess that would be something like periscope / mere-cat
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com