Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pushing the Mod SBM-1  (Read 5867 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Pushing the Mod SBM-1
« on: March 02, 2004, 01:00:34 PM »
OK, so I am curious.  I have had a couple of cases where I have pushed the SBM-1 to the brink, no clip lights on either it or the DAT, but the levels are right up against 0.  In just a couple of cases (small percentage) I get a bit of a "lispy" quality to the tape...not sure how else to describe it except that the lyrics that end with the letter "s" can get a bit lispy.  I am curious if anyone else has experieinced this who uses the unit?  This has only happened a couple of times in the couple of years I have owned it, but I am curious.  For most shows I am not able to push it as much as I have in these cases.  Basically the shows that have a wide sound range (i.e. levels not consistently pinning at 0), I have not heard this...hope this makes some sense.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Nick

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re:Pushing the Mod SBM-1
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 01:51:46 PM »
This may be a PA issue more than anything else.  I know that when Paco ran sound at the Pour House, this quality would happen every time the band played really loud.  When the PA is overdriven, the sound tends to compress, leading to that auditory quality.

I would really not push the SBM.  When the lights are on, you still have another 1 db of headroom, but it runs out really quickly.  The SBM does clip like everything else when run really hot so I would keep it on the conservative side.  When the SBM would clip, it sounds like a bit of static so that, blended with loud vocals, may be what you are hearing.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 01:55:55 PM »
the sbm-1 does not clip gracefully.

as for compressed sound, the DBT show I saw was very interesting... Paco ran for Bloodkin and did a nice job. The DBT was so loud that you could hear the main compressor/limiter for the PA engaging.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 01:56:50 PM »
I am thinking it is the PA myself.  It was the Lincoln's PA, but the treble's that it was pushing were loud....I am going to run a test at BHTM tomorrow night and run it a little more conservative and see how it comes out...

Appreciate the input Jamie.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 01:58:22 PM »

this I agree with...a couple of my stealth jobs where the levels got out of control you could hear it.  They definitely were pushing the PA both nights this happened, and it was exceptionally loud in the treble range.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 02:07:33 PM »
maybe check the same spots on my tape and see if you hear it?

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 02:45:59 PM »

as for compressed sound, the DBT show I saw was very interesting... Paco ran for Bloodkin and did a nice job. The DBT was so loud that you could hear the main compressor/limiter for the PA engaging.

I would have to agree that it is prolly a PA issue as I have never heard this 'lispy' sound when running the SBM1 'hot'.

As far as clipping goes, well maybe it is me, but unless you are lighting the SBM1 up for seconds at a time, it is rather tough to clip. I have found the SBM1 lighting up & my d8 saying over, but no clipping to be found. Now I have lit it up for a few seconds and then yeah it clips. Overall if it just flashes, you have nothing to worry about. Heh it is all subjective anyway, HTH ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 02:53:47 PM »
maybe check the same spots on my tape and see if you hear it?

yeah, that is the plan....just curious if it was a normal occurence with the SBM in certain situations.  The more I think about it, it is probably the PA....will have to confirm tonight by checking out your tape.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 02:59:20 PM »
yeah, i was peaking around -8 or so normally with maybe a max of  of -4.  so you should be able to tell by checking my tape out

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 03:28:29 PM »
lispy, huh?  were you taping sci?  ;)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 03:30:22 PM »
it's a combination of sibilant singer,p.a and microphone....

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 03:33:42 PM »
alright I am listening now and the same sound is on Scott's DPA tape....definitely coming from the PA.  My wife is tells me she cant hear it....I guess I am overly ciritcal 8)

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 03:34:13 PM »
try dropping around 6k in your editing software.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 03:40:17 PM »
try dropping around 6k in your editing software.

now that is just too much work for this hobby  ;D

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 03:48:26 PM »
alright I am listening now and the same sound is on Scott's DPA tape....definitely coming from the PA.  My wife is tells me she cant hear it....I guess I am overly ciritcal 8)

your ears are getting more "musical",took me some time b4 i figured that out myself.

soon you could easily know how to equalize,finding a sweet spot etc.

listen,hear and learn.  :D

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2004, 03:53:41 PM »
Nick - I got rid of all of my editing software, not worth my time.

and ditto what Muj said.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2004, 03:58:22 PM »
Nick - I got rid of all of my editing software, not worth my time.

and ditto what Muj said.

agree with both of you....what I was hearing was the PA, as it shows up on Scotts tape as well...a little (very little) less pronounced, probably because the DPAs are flatter....while the gefells have a bit of a HF boost...interesting listen...

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2004, 12:29:16 PM »
muj, that avatar's hat sounds like my roommate! where i can i get one of those? ;)

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2004, 03:47:46 AM »
muj, that avatar's hat sounds like my roommate! where i can i get one of those? ;)

bro,not sure about that :)

but the picture is of the great stephen paul,in his brighter days.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2004, 09:25:09 AM »
So I ran tonight from the same spot, same venue, different band.  The sound guy had the same issues with the "lispy" sound at the beginning of the first set, but he got it under control and virtually eliminated mid first set.  When I asked him about it, he said that he definitely heard it and it took him a few songs to figure out how to get rid of it, but he did.  He stated that it was difficult because they brought their own board and had used it the night before in more of a concert hall, and last night was more of a "bar" type acoustics, and that is why it took a few songs to get dialed in.

So, I am closing this topic now that I know it was not a SBM-1 issue.

Thanks all for the responses!

Nick

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com