Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2  (Read 82503 times)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2009, 01:21:24 AM »
have fun!
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »
and leave your wallet at the door.   >:D

stevetoney

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
I went ahead and pulled the trigger today.  $549 shipped for a factory refurbished Canon EOS Rebel XSi.  All original items normally included are present.  They gave me a 1 year warranty as well.  The standard kit lens was included (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS).  I realize that new glass will be in order fairly quickly.  For another hundred bucks, I can get the EF 50mm f/1.8 II and be set for a while.  $650 total price and I am just under what I would pay new, but with two lenses.  Pretty happy with the deal.

FWIW, I'm gonna list my 70-300 f4.0-5.6 IS USM lens for $375 on ebay as soon as I get back from a week long business trip.  If you look in the rig pics section, you'll find some Phish and Summercamp pics that I shot...all with the lens I'll be selling.  IS works like freaking magic on these 200 - 300mm focal length zoom lenses.

Offline Corporate hack

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »
OK, I'm so far behind in the Canon dSLR world that I need a bit of help.  I've got a number of clients who could use some regular photography of their products- mainly restaurants.  I'm beginning to think that at $200/session to hire a photographer, I could go out, purchase amid level dSLR and a macro lens to cover my clients for their advertising and web needs far more cheaply (especially since the fees come out of our budget, not theirs). 

So, here are my questions:

1. Are new new EOS Rebels decent for this purpose?  If not, I can always go back to a 20D or something like that, but we're not going to be producing anything other than photos for web use, some magazine printing, newspaper printing and press kits.

2. What's out there right now for decent macro lenses for product shooting?

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »
OK, I'm so far behind in the Canon dSLR world that I need a bit of help.  I've got a number of clients who could use some regular photography of their products- mainly restaurants.  I'm beginning to think that at $200/session to hire a photographer, I could go out, purchase amid level dSLR and a macro lens to cover my clients for their advertising and web needs far more cheaply (especially since the fees come out of our budget, not theirs). 

1. Are new new EOS Rebels decent for this purpose?  If not, I can always go back to a 20D or something like that, but we're not going to be producing anything other than photos for web use, some magazine printing, newspaper printing and press kits.

I would think a basic Rebel would be fine, particularly for studio use where you can control everything.  You could do a fairly inexpensive macro as well since you likely won't be shooting really large apertures so you have some depth of field.  I'd guess you could fine something for around $200.  The big thing for food is lighting, it's an art and you will probably end up spending as much on lighting as you do on camera/lens to get top quality results

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Corporate hack

« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2009, 12:44:58 PM »

I would think a basic Rebel would be fine, particularly for studio use where you can control everything.  You could do a fairly inexpensive macro as well since you likely won't be shooting really large apertures so you have some depth of field.  I'd guess you could fine something for around $200.  The big thing for food is lighting, it's an art and you will probably end up spending as much on lighting as you do on camera/lens to get top quality results
I'm pretty familiar with what's out there for lighting as that hasn't changed much in the last 5-10 years :)  Thanks for this!

stevetoney

« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »
My response was gonna be virtually the same, except I was gonna add that if you have to pay for lights, you might be better off just paying someone the $200 per session rate, which doesn't seem like all that much to me if they're good.  However, since you say that you've got lighting covered (and this is without a doubt the most important aspect of your shoot), I concur with the earlier comment that a decent macro lens would work just fine with the Rebel series.  My opinion is that the basic image quality for most DSLRs is excellent given good glass and the incremental increase in cost of the camera body is largely a function of features.  Having said that, I do understand that the image quality going from a crop-frame camera to full-frame body can be quite startling, but so is the cost difference (for new at least).

Offline Corporate hack

« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
My response was gonna be virtually the same, except I was gonna add that if you have to pay for lights, you might be better off just paying someone the $200 per session rate, which doesn't seem like all that much to me if they're good.  However, since you say that you've got lighting covered (and this is without a doubt the most important aspect of your shoot), I concur with the earlier comment that a decent macro lens would work just fine with the Rebel series.  My opinion is that the basic image quality for most DSLRs is excellent given good glass and the incremental increase in cost of the camera body is largely a function of features.  Having said that, I do understand that the image quality going from a crop-frame camera to full-frame body can be quite startling, but so is the cost difference (for new at least).
Food product lighting requires a minimal cost- I've done it plenty of times.  As far as $200 per session here's how it stacks up in the coming year for my clients- I've got 4 clients each of which has quarterly (if not more often) shooting needs to highlight different menus for as many as 10 different publications.  At 200 per session that means that we're spending 3200 per year on photography costs, plus we're at the scheduling whim of someone else.  The best time for my guys to shoot is often on Sundays or Monday mornings when no one is in the restaurant.  That doesn't even include the special shooting we may have to do for special events. 

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »
There was a great post on Strobist a while back on lighting food that this post reminded me of...

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/06/food-photography-made-easy-lunch-box.html

Great setup for a low budget shot.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?

stevetoney

« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2009, 03:53:59 PM »
Food product lighting requires a minimal cost- I've done it plenty of times.  As far as $200 per session here's how it stacks up in the coming year for my clients- I've got 4 clients each of which has quarterly (if not more often) shooting needs to highlight different menus for as many as 10 different publications.  At 200 per session that means that we're spending 3200 per year on photography costs, plus we're at the scheduling whim of someone else.  The best time for my guys to shoot is often on Sundays or Monday mornings when no one is in the restaurant.  That doesn't even include the special shooting we may have to do for special events. 

Nice savings there!  For that cost savings, I might be inclined to use those figures to justify some higher quality Canon glass to go with that Rebel body that you're talking about.  But then again, I'm a total gear slut (not just audio gear, mon) and I'm a sucker for using this type of logic to overextend my cash flow limitations!

Offline Corporate hack

« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »

Nice savings there!  For that cost savings, I might be inclined to use those figures to justify some higher quality Canon glass to go with that Rebel body that you're talking about.  But then again, I'm a total gear slut (not just audio gear, mon) and I'm a sucker for using this type of logic to overextend my cash flow limitations!
I'll probably pick up a 60mm 2.8 macro and leave it at that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:03:08 PM by jpschuster »

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »

I don't know anything at all about doing that.....   ;)

I just hope you are not coming here to get talked out of it 'cuz you are in the wrong place!

Offline Corporate hack

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2009, 09:24:38 AM »
Sorry to keep this going, but is there any reason I shouldn't go back to just using a 20D over the new rebel?  I mean I know the new rebel has tons of features, but I could get a used 20d with grip for like $350.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
Sorry to keep this going, but is there any reason I shouldn't go back to just using a 20D over the new rebel?  I mean I know the new rebel has tons of features, but I could get a used 20d with grip for like $350.

I don't think it matters for your stated purposes.  The only real drawback to something like a 20D is likely in low light the newer sensor will do better, but for studio stuff you control the light so it should be fine.  It just becomes a question is the better low light performance worth the extra $$ as a nice to have.

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »
It's worth it IMO.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.278 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com