Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications  (Read 49534 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »
^ if you score the rubber where it meets the plastic housing, you can simply pull the microphone out, rubber and all. It takes a bit of tugging but it came out with no problem.

But if you want to keep the treaded part intact to use the windscreens you might leave them attached and Dremel the threaded part away from the case.  I did as you suggested above and it wasn't much trouble at all.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »
Look at what Naiant uses on some of his microphone housings...that looks like a RCA male connector with the mic element sticking out where the cable would come out....

Thinking of disassembly of the below female 1/8 TRS jack inserted at the back of Brass Tubing...that would prevent the wire being torn out of the Mic capsule in the original plastic housing...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sennheiser MøKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 08:51:37 PM »
MøKE2 1.2 completed

at least at the mic capsule/body end,... I still need to do the stereo connector end.

img6092:
The journey begins at the 1/8" 3.5mm trs stereo connector.  I always end up needing the extra room in the screw on cap. So, first matter, enlarge that hole, and clean up the drill hole.

img6096: Commitment time. This was kind of hard to do.

img6099: My eyes said screw you Moke!

img6100 & 6101: Hiding my soldering skills

img 6102:
Inner brass tubing mounting the rubber shock mount mast.  This layer fits inside of the outer tubing, and allows the shock mounting to move freely.  I epoxy bedded the inside of this inner tubing piece, which also contained the soldering joint. I covered the soldering jpoint in two layers of heat shrink, with cyanoacrylate gel glue applied between layers.
The rubber mast was epoxy bedded on iserion into the inner brass tube, and the backside was filled with epoxy as well, for a 100% waterproof seal (I've rigged boats and know how to seal through-hull fittings). I cut the inner tubing piece at 5/8" long, which covered the solder joint entirely.

img6103: outer tubing pieces.
I cut these at twice the length of the inner pieces at 1.25" (or as close as an angle grainder would allow).
The outer tubing was epoxy bedded with internal epoxy smeared into the lead-end of the tubings, and, onto the heatshring at the interface, to completely fill the void. Overflow oozed, and was cleaned off. An adjustment was made, prior to the epoxy setting, to ensure that the shockmounting was still viable before the epoxy set the outer tube into place.

img6104 - 05 - 06:
Finished capsule and mic body. I tried to show the epoxy bedding and seal.
I'm going to cover this in heat shrink, and, self adhesive velcro, loop-sided tape (not the hooks), for ease of strapping to stands, and spreaders, etc.

I used:
Mogami W2697 Miniature Balanced Mic Cable - lavalier mic cable
K&S Precision Metals Brass tubing, #'s 8131 inner & 8132 outer (confirmed numbers - previously speculated)
Switchcraft 1/8" 3.5mm TRS stereo male connector - straight
JB-Weld KWIK epoxy (you can fix your tractor with this shit!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:05:14 PM by Moke »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:05 PM »
Looks awesome.  Start stocking up on these and you could get a nice cottage industry going on ebay  ;)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
thanks!

and, we're done.

img6109:  finished pair, w/ heat shrink applied.
nothing like a macro-image to show you the rough spots. I've since reheated the shrink and tightened it up.

img6110: first time the stereo-in jack has been used in the DPA MMA6000

img6111: with the uBICuitous Lighter to show scale

mfrench

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 12:59:16 PM »
A couple of build-up observations:

The smaller inner tubing piece could be used as a solo piece of tubing.  When dry, the rubber grabbed the brass, and only allowed a small insertion into the brass tube.
When epoxy was applied, it acted like a lubricant, and, the rubber easily slipped into the brass tubing piece, all the way in. I had to adjust it back out.
So, the inner tubing piece would be adequate for lower profile build.
The inner tubing piece has an o.d. of .25", whch is an easy fit for heat shrink, as opposed to the next larger that I finished with, which was not as good a fit with the shrink tube. petty, but,...

Use of windscreens:
On my build-up, the windscreen fits over the capsule perfectly, by its own design.  I have actively shaken the mic, while upside-down, trying to dislodge the w.screen, and it stays put, perfectly.  I don't feel the threads are necessary to allow them to be used.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:03:27 PM by Moke »

Offline heathen

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
Use of windscreens:
On my build-up, the windscreen fits over the capsule perfectly, by its own design.  I have actively shaken the mic, while upside-down, trying to dislodge the w.screen, and it stays put, perfectly.  I don't feel the threads are necessary to allow them to be used.

That is really good to know.  I want to be able to use the windscreens and assumed that I'd need to keep something for them to thread onto.

While recording, is there any audible effect of the mic moving within the windscreen?  Or is it a snug enough fit that it's not an issue?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »
We're supposed to get a strong Santa Ana wind event tomorrow, or, over the weekend. I'll fly them, and see what happens. I won't be anything more than a nature recording, and, noise from the road in the distance. But that will reveal a wind signature well enough.

mfrench

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:28 AM »
So, I sort of prepared this, this morning, with the best of intentions.
Problem: Pre-coffee; the eep hour for Moke
Result: Misnamed main folder.
Presented as: https://archive.org/details/test2.horizontal

Testing the windscreens this morning in a stiff Santa Ana wind.
I tested the mics with the windscreens on, without any form of securing them to the capsules.

I tested them in four ways:

Test-1) Dangling, swinging freely
Dangling from a spreader bar, with the windscreens providing their own vertical loading.  The wind was strong enough to cause them to sway back and forth, and, also causing the stand to wobble.

Test-2) Horizontal
With the mics velcroed to the spreader bar in a horizontal attitude; cables parallel to the length of the spreader, capsules at end, pointed outwardly, horizontally.

Test-3) Vertical
Mics mounted with capsules vertical, perpeindicular to spreader bar.

Test-4a&4b) As same track.
I spun the mics as if they were a set of jump ropes.  Then I clacked them together a few times at the end of this track.
stupid crazy audio. point: The screens stayed in place.

all said and done,...
If for nothing better, you can hear the birds that Sarge attracts to the yard. I love them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:05:11 PM by Moke »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »
Excellent job Moke.This is the perfect application.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 01:48:41 PM »

https://imgur.com/a/JC3oUnZ

I was able to get my set wired up with help from a friend in the lab at work. They work!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:53:43 PM by beegar »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 02:11:02 PM »
Boy, it's been a long while since I've modified any mics. This is very, very intriguing for me. I just bought (4) to mess around with. I just love recording with omnis. Waterproof omnis are all the better. I just skimmed both threads and have a basic understanding of whats going on. It looks like the hardest part is separating the mic from the box housing?

I'll read more in depth before they come. But, I have a quick question to make sure I'm seeing this clearly. Once you get them separated from that box all you have to do is terminate them properly and use them with a 9v battery box? There is no additional circuitry needed to make them high SPL ready for recording?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
Boy, it's been a long while since I've modified any mics. This is very, very intriguing for me. I just bought (4) to mess around with. I just love recording with omnis. Waterproof omnis are all the better. I just skimmed both threads and have a basic understanding of whats going on. It looks like the hardest part is separating the mic from the box housing?

I'll read more in depth before they come. But, I have a quick question to make sure I'm seeing this clearly. Once you get them separated from that box all you have to do is terminate them properly and use them with a 9v battery box? There is no additional circuitry needed to make them high SPL ready for recording?

The hardest part for me was wiring them up as the cable is so delicate. To remove the mics, you just pop off the bottom plate, score the rubber sleeve where it meets the plastic housing and pull out the mic. It takes about 2 minutes.

Max SPL for the regular MKE2 is 142 db. I think these should be good to go without mods.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

mfrench

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »

The hardest part for me was wiring them up as the cable is so delicate. To remove the mics, you just pop off the bottom plate, score the rubber sleeve where it meets the plastic housing and pull out the mic. It takes about 2 minutes.

Max SPL for the regular MKE2 is 142 db. I think these should be good to go without mods.

Agreed on the onboard wires. really tiny.  The kevlar thread is a pita too.  It took a while to finally see the "blue" wire that is suggested. It is a very light ice blue. I felt it before I really "saw" it.
Almost as hard,... that first cut across the wires to shorten them.

Offline heathen

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
I finally got around to messing with one of mine.  First I pried up the inside panel, which was easy by using a screwdriver.

Second, I broke out the Dremel.  (This is where things always get ugly.)  I wanted to try keeping the threads for the windscreen, if for no other reason than to see if it would work.  I carefully cut away at the hard plastic area between the body and the threads (if you look at it closely from the side there's a gap between the last thread and the body, so I just went to town there).  I obviously didn't want to inadvertently cut the wire, so I took my time and when it looked like I was getting close I'd stop and see if I could break it free by hand.  Eventually I could, and I was able to pull it out of the body.  There is that little flared bit of soft plastic that makes a seal with the interior of the body, and I was able to just pull that through.

I haven't tried to clean this up yet.  In the attached photos you can see the mic by itself, and screwed into the windscreen.  I'm not really sure where to go from here.  Anyone have ideas for making this easy to mount?  Maybe I could attach tubing to that bit of soft plastic that extends past the threads, a la Moke?  I want to try to keep the threads, in part because they'll help make a good seal from the elements (no pun intended).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com