Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth Video Taping...suggestions  (Read 4075 times)

Offline insanescott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Stealth Video Taping...suggestions
« on: January 20, 2005, 07:59:39 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am new here.  I have a question for everyone.  I am looking to get into stealth video taping and need someone to suggest me an affordable but good camera.  I also want something very small, prefferably fit in a back pocket or whatever, if they even make them that small.  The best camera ive found so far is the JVC GRDVP3U.  I was looking into getting something within the next month and I want to be informed so I make a good decision.  Please help.  Thanks

Scott

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Stealth Video Taping...suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 12:28:11 AM »
calling firmdragon...

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline sidewalksnoozer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 03:31:43 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am new here.  I have a question for everyone.  I am looking to get into stealth video taping and need someone to suggest me an affordable but good camera.  I also want something very small, prefferably fit in a back pocket or whatever, if they even make them that small.  The best camera ive found so far is the JVC GRDVP3U.  I was looking into getting something within the next month and I want to be informed so I make a good decision.  Please help.  Thanks

Scott

haven't done any pricing comparisons but i'm running a sony trv22 minidv cam and it works like a charm. the extender lens and longer life battery make it a little bigger than i dream of but as i said, very workable stealth rig. plus the audio bit rate is nice (you can turn it up to 16, same as a dat).

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 04:05:31 PM »
i haven't seen very many detailed reviews, so i really can't give you a very informed.  that being said, specs wise it looks pretty good and seems to match your needs quite nicely.  the only thing i fear is it's ability to perform under low light conditions.  you might want to do some reasearch on that first.  i would think by decreasing the size of this camcorder, there'd have to be some draw backs to it, otherwise wouldn't all camcorders be this size. ;)   

you might also want to check out the new model cameras coming out this year, if you can wait.  might be worth it, maybe not.

www.dvspot.com

Offline jaguaracer

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trading List
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 06:22:26 PM »
There seems to be a big discussion going on in the tradens den about the JVC GR-MC100. Looks pretty killer. I know you posted there too Insane Scott, but for those who haven't: http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/
DC

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 04:58:49 PM »
the sony trv22 miniDV cam is great. used it last weekend to film a show, in a low-lit bar, and the results were surprising! thought i'd end up with virtually black video, but with a simple Levels adjustment in Premiere, i got an excellent MPEG-2 video.  ;D

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 06:36:03 PM »
The Panasonic PV GS120, GS200, & GS400 cams are tiny, tiny, tiny.   Plus they are 3 CCD, while most handy cams are 1 CCD (3 CCD produces a more vibrant picture).  I use a GS120 as a secondary camera, for a full stage shot or stationary "drummer cam" set up onstage.  My main cam is a Sony VX2100, which produces picture quality nearly as good as broadcast TV.  Between the two cameras, I've produced some nice 2 camera mixes.

The GS120 models can be purchased for about $500.  The biggest drawback, I've found, is that the steadyshot function doesn't work in low-light environments, which most shows are.   So you would need to have the camera on a stable surface if stealth recording (either on a ledge or in your lap).  On the plus side, the built-in mic on the GS120 works quite well, even better than the built in mic on my Sony, which cost 5 times more.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 02:51:19 AM »
The Panasonic PV GS120, GS200, & GS400 cams are tiny, tiny, tiny.   Plus they are 3 CCD, while most handy cams are 1 CCD (3 CCD produces a more vibrant picture).  I use a GS120 as a secondary camera, for a full stage shot or stationary "drummer cam" set up onstage.  My main cam is a Sony VX2100, which produces picture quality nearly as good as broadcast TV.  Between the two cameras, I've produced some nice 2 camera mixes.

The GS120 models can be purchased for about $500.  The biggest drawback, I've found, is that the steadyshot function doesn't work in low-light environments, which most shows are.   So you would need to have the camera on a stable surface if stealth recording (either on a ledge or in your lap).  On the plus side, the built-in mic on the GS120 works quite well, even better than the built in mic on my Sony, which cost 5 times more.

eeeehhhhhh. i for one would would discourage the use of the gs120.  i was in a jam once and had to use this cam for 2 shows.  to re-iterate what was said before, the lack of a image stabilizer/steady shot will give you headaches when you review your footage later on.  the low light performance is really really poor. it really looks bad when you have dynamic spotlights. i just don't think it's worth getting this cam just for it's 3ccd colors.  but if you're using it in the same situation as elvis is, well more power to you.

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 09:23:51 PM »
WOW WORST NAME EVER! -T for having HITLER in your name!

Elvis Hitler is/was a punkabilly band.  Their best known song (can't really call it a hit) was "Green Haze," the lyrics to the the Green Acres theme over the music of "Purple Haze."

Nothing to do with Nazis, simmer down. :-)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.369 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com