Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50  (Read 112605 times)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »
http://www.bradlinder.net/

;)
live from the AES-exhibition.

While doing his first test with the FR-2LE, dude says:

"the gain's not real high when using a dynamic mic...uhhh, there's a little mic trim button here, let's see what happens...oh, whoa ok, that makes a huge difference in terms of the gain...that does increase some of the background noise..."

Wow, what a revelation.  It's like the guy's never used a trim pot before.
 :P

Interesting that he also commented on the Microtrack II in one of his sample clips.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2007, 06:16:23 PM »
I spent some time at the Sony booth looking at this item, and was given a product flyer which I have scanned and attached to this message. Additionally I tested the "XLR-1" phantom powering adapter with a pair of Schoeps PHS 48 testers, and it passed (i.e. the unit puts out ca. 48 Volts at ca. 4.5 mA on both inputs simultaneously). But with four AAs inside, I don't know for how many hours it can do that.

If I can, on Monday I will go back and ask them about the 93 dB s/n specification. Of course there is really no such thing as an A-weighted signal-to-noise ratio, but the intended meaning is clear enough, and then the thing is, it would kind of seem as if its 24-bit capability would be quite useless. So that calls for some sort of explanation.

--In answer to one person's question way back, the material of the D 50's case is definitely lighter than that of the earlier, much more expensive model.

--best regards
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 06:20:26 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline bradlinder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2007, 06:59:44 PM »
http://www.bradlinder.net/

;)
live from the AES-exhibition.

While doing his first test with the FR-2LE, dude says:

"the gain's not real high when using a dynamic mic...uhhh, there's a little mic trim button here, let's see what happens...oh, whoa ok, that makes a huge difference in terms of the gain...that does increase some of the background noise..."

Wow, what a revelation.  It's like the guy's never used a trim pot before.
 :P

Interesting that he also commented on the Microtrack II in one of his sample clips.

Hey, just an update from "the guy." What happened is that I plugged my mic in and started talking as I checked out the options on the recorder. First thing I noticed was that the record level was pretty low, so I started looking for places to crank it up. Normally I would have cut out my own inane jabber before posting the audio online, but I noticed something when listening back to the recording at home. On the show floor you couldn't tell, but with gain turned down, you can hear a bit of a whining noise in the background. When the PCM-D50 was set at a similarly low level, I didn't notice any noise from the recorder which is part of what made me fall in love with the Sony recorder.

As for the Microtrack II, I recorded my Zoom H4 sample after checking out the Digidesign booth. They didn't have a functioning unit on hand, but they gave me some of the details about the new recorder. It'll be out in November, has a full 48V phantom power (unlike the 30V you got with the original Microtrack), is supposed to have better battery life, and includes a new brightness switch on the side of the unit. The Digidesign rep said he thought it would be replacing the original Microtrack and selling for $299, but I'm starting to have my doubts about that, as I haven't seen confirmation of the price anywhere else.

Brad Linder

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2007, 07:12:37 PM »
Hey Brad,
Welcome, and sorry for busting your balls a little...all in good spirit!  I know it's not always easy to think of quality things to say when doing tests like that.

Thanks for your reporting from the floor.  It's always great to see first-person experiences with new gear.

Not to get too far off topic, but a couple things pop into my mind after reading your comments.  As a former Fostex FR-2LE owner, I can attest to the "whining" noise you heard when recording your sample.  This is in the noisy headphone amp circuit.  It is definitely not in the resulting recordings though.  I verified this many times just to assure myself.  I found the FR-2LE to be a great sounding box myself.

The MT II looks promising for some appplications...although it's not very encouraging that M-Audio shows up to the AES without a working unit.  That's pretty poor in my opinion...and after their performance with the release of the first MT, I'm sure a lot of people will be pretty skeptical.

All that said, the Sony does still look promising.

Here's your first +T.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 07:14:34 PM by Jmos »

Offline bradlinder

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2007, 09:43:18 AM »
Thanks for the tips on the Fostex. To be honest when I was monitoring my recording live it sounded great. I didn't notice any noise until I got back home and loaded the audio onto my PC. One commenter on my blog tells me that he has similar results with dynamic microphones but that it sounds great with a condenser. It's probably my own fault for not taking another mic with me, but I wanted to test each recorder I found using the same equipment so I grabbed my trusty RE50.

As for the MT II, the guy I spoke with said they had brought a working model, but something had happened to it. I don't know if it was misplaced or broken. But considering the show had just started a few hours ago by the time I found the booth, that wasn't encouraging.

Still, it looks like a step up, and if they can get the price down, it might be a good compact recorder for some folks. It doesn't seem to pack all the features of a Zoom H2/H4 or Edirol R-09, but it's got quarter inch inputs, a tiny size, and feels  pretty sturdy for a plastic device.

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2007, 12:02:06 PM »
--In answer to one person's question way back, the material of the D 50's case is definitely lighter than that of the earlier, much more expensive model.

From the product page, the new d50 is made of aluminum while I recall the d1 is made of titanium...

+T

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »
Wish the remote commander had meters....

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2007, 03:50:29 PM »
I spoke with someone at the Sony booth at the AES show today.  The D50 has been moved forward to early November release.  The bad news is that the chip set is NOT the same as the D1, and the Sony guy admited that the headphone amp and mic pre were not as good as the D1.  The D50 will take 8GB memory stick pro duo "HG" when those are released in about 2-3 months, which will give decent record time at 24/96, and of course battery life will be much improved.  The internal mics are also below the D1 standard (as most people expected).

Jeff

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
This is def. an exciting but, as usual, not perfect product.

@rowj | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
Superlux SMK-H8K/H/U > KindKables Black Stealths > Busman T-Mod FR2LE

kskreider

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »
If these are not coming out until November that what is this?

nvm.  i see that it says pre-order now...

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2007, 10:49:24 PM »
I was quoted 269.00 shipped on the MT2. PM me If anyone cares who it was.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2007, 06:30:14 PM »
here a video from the AES showing the PCM-D50:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5390
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2007, 09:52:35 AM »
I pre-ordered from Musician's Friend for $499 on the 12 month plan  ;D.  Got an email that this will ship on 13Nov.  As a long time MD and Hi-MD fan, this is what I have been waiting for.  I want the external mics because I like to field record my sons playing tunes or just goofing off from time to time.  Plus, it's great for so many other field recording ops.  The 4Gb internal and the Duo slot offer me plenty and I know the build and quality will be what I have come to love from Sony AND there is no silly Sonic Stage to deal with here.  I have played that game for far too long. 

FWIW: I will be keeping my RH10 for stealth and back-up but I will be offering that RH910 and the wired remote for the RH910 Hi-MD for sale soon, along with a pile of Hi-MDs (some still in package). 

I hope my first run with the PCM-D50  to be the Christmas Jam and then Derek and Susan for NYE at the Fox in Hotlanta.  Should be a good December.

It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »
Does anyone know if the D50 has mini Line -In?  Or just optical Line-In?  Or is the Line-In one in the same?  Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com