Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video - Zoom? Flip? Something Else? Cheap Solution?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline schnoodc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Video - Zoom? Flip? Something Else? Cheap Solution?
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
I'm looking for some major guidance here.  I have to do a video/audio recording for my application to a PhD program in voice pedagogy.  I am an operatic mezzo-soprano.  I am also feeling quite broke at the moment.

I have some equipment!  Just not any video.  The Zoom Q3HD is probably the easiest solution for me - good audio, passable video, but even the $300 price point is feeling oppressive to me at the moment. 

Here's what I currently have: 

A 4-year old MacBook with Garage Band and Audacity (I could also work on my sister's newer MacBook). 
A pair of Rode NT2-A Microphones
An Edirol R-9 Audio Recorder
Not a lot of technical know-how beyond simple edits on Garage Band

What do you think?  Should I just drop the money on the Zoom and keep it simple or is there a cheaper solution out there that won't drive me crazy in the editing process?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!!

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Video - Zoom? Flip? Something Else? Cheap Solution?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
I would go with a Panasonic Lumix, or similar due to the zoom capablities. All the Flips, Zooms that I have seen don't have any decent zoom capabilities...
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
Re: Video - Zoom? Flip? Something Else? Cheap Solution?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »
I would go with a Panasonic Lumix, or similar due to the zoom capablities. All the Flips, Zooms that I have seen don't have any decent zoom capabilities...

^^^correct....my lumix has 12x optical zoom and the hd video is top notch, the built in mics sound great also....however my flip has 3x digi zoom so the zoom is useless and makes the video worse....the video from my lumix looks fantastic, even on my 65" widescreen....look around on ebay for some re-manufactured cams from the lumix series, they can be had for pretty cheap compared to the new ones....spyder09 has bought 2 different models from ebay i believe with no probs at all....its worth a look.

Also, the low light performance of the flip leaves a lot to be desired....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:26:49 PM by T-90 »
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com