Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVI>HDMI or HDMI with an adapter  (Read 5076 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
DVI>HDMI or HDMI with an adapter
« on: April 22, 2007, 10:51:43 AM »
I'm stuck with comcast. The comcast HD box only has a DVI out. No HDMI out. I'm getting a better picture through the standard HD hookup than I do thru the DVI to HDMI connection. I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable. I was told to try a "newer" HDMI (1.3??) cable and buy an adapter to connect to the back of the Comcast HD box. Does this sound like BS?

Thanks

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: DVI>HDMI or HDMI with an adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:56:18 PM »
kinda sounds like bullshit.  HDMI is HDMI.  DVI is the same as HDMI (without audio).  I use a cheap $12 HDMI cable I bought at Big Lots, and a DVI->HDMI adapter i bought at radio shack.   My picture is great.  Some people like the look of component hookup better.  Each TV will handle these signals differently. 

my equipment:

comcast box->DVI->HDMI->Sony SXRD A2000 55"
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
kinda sounds like bullshit.  HDMI is HDMI.  DVI is the same as HDMI (without audio).  I use a cheap $12 HDMI cable I bought at Big Lots, and a DVI->HDMI adapter i bought at radio shack.   My picture is great.  Some people like the look of component hookup better.  Each TV will handle these signals differently. 

my equipment:

comcast box->DVI->HDMI->Sony SXRD A2000 55"

So I guess it's just a matter of preference. There both OK. The big difference is I'm comparing it to my HD/DVR combo box, which I swear for some reasom has a cleaner picture ??? The combo box has HDMI out and from what you're saying it should be the same quality signal as the DVI output on my regular HD box.

Is your text on the guide sort of fuzzy? On the HD box I get a fuzzy text on menu, setup and guide. On the HD/DVR combo box it's very clear. Maybe that doesn't matter, but thats sort of whats throwing me off.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 06:10:40 PM »
my text is crisp.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »
is your box set up properly and sending the right signal?  that might explain the fuzzy text.

*shrug*

I have a scientific Atlantic box from Cox (i hate cox with a passion), it was weird at first too, but I found a thread on it over at the avs forums with tips on how to set it up properly.  It looks much better now, except for the crappy hd signals from the cable company.

Phoenix is on the list for fios from verizon.  The minute thats available, I'm calling up cox and getting fiber installed in the house.  Faster internet and better tv quality for the same price as cable,  I can't wait.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »
kinda sounds like bullshit.  HDMI is HDMI.  DVI is the same as HDMI (without audio).

That's not really true.  HDMI 1.3 is the new standard, although not many TVs accept it yet.  There are some differences between it and 1.2, however they *do* use the same cable.  And it's not the same as DVI, as DVI can be analog and carries no DRM.

As for the OP, a lot of people report their component connections look better than HDMI on their televisions.  If you're happy with that picture I'd stick with it, as there's no real reason to move to HDMI.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:57:45 PM »
Another thing to consider is adjusting the levels on your tv.  Many people never touch this aspect of setting up a tv other than to adjust the brightness.   When I first bought my Samsung 50" plasma it took a few different viewing experiences to dial in the television. 

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 03:00:03 PM »
Another thing to consider is adjusting the levels on your tv.  Many people never touch this aspect of setting up a tv other than to adjust the brightness.   When I first bought my Samsung 50" plasma it took a few different viewing experiences to dial in the television. 

Definitely.  And if you need to know how, go to AVS and check out the threads for different TVs.  There are calibration discs you can download, as well, to make sure you're set up properly.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com