Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 'DFC' ... what does it stand for?  (Read 16155 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
'DFC' ... what does it stand for?
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:57:08 AM »
Simple dumb question.  To my credit, I've tried searching TS and googling and wiki'ing it, but I can't seem to find what 'DFC' stands for.  ??? I assume it refers to taping position in the venue, like 'FOB' is 'front of (sound)board' (I think).  Something-front-center?  Besides 'FOB' and 'DFC' are there any other acronyms that I should mention in the notes of my LMA or BT listings?  Thanks in advance.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: 'DFC' ... what does it stand for?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:01:12 AM »
Simple dumb question.  To my credit, I've tried searching TS and googling and wiki'ing it, but I can't seem to find what 'DFC' stands for.  ??? I assume it refers to taping position in the venue, like 'FOB' is 'front of (sound)board' (I think).  Something-front-center?  Besides 'FOB' and 'DFC' are there any other acronyms that I should mention in the notes of my LMA or BT listings?  Thanks in advance.

Dead F'ing Center

L(eft)OC and R(ight)OC go along with it

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:16:53 AM »
Dead F'ing Center

JAson

Ah... cool.  Thanks for the info.  +T.

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:11:18 AM »
lol

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
Zman has the best Acronyms:

Source: Schoeps CCM4V'S(din)>Lunatec V2>Sound Devices 722 (24/48)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »

Dead F'ing Center

JAson

;D
That's a good one.

Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 11:56:24 AM »
AKA

Don't f***ing cuss.

Dumb f***ing c***s***er

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:35:17 PM »
Always take taper claims of position with a grain of salt.  I've seen people claim DFC when they're actually 10'-12' off center.  FOB is another popular acronym (front of board), and IME it's often meaningless since <a> it gives no indication of the recording location relative to the sound source, and in a lot of smallish venues the whole darn venue is FOB.  Personally, I find that in addition to a detailed listing of the gear I'm running, it's best to accurately track the following actual values as a reference point for future recording opportunities (why everyon doesn't do this, I don't know - perhaps they're not as OCD as me...no surprise there!):

• actual position from the stage, in feet
  • offset left or right, in feet
  • stand height
  • mic configuration (distance between mics + included angle)

Think of it this way:  taping is, in part, a learning experience every time we go out to record.  Without factual data, it's difficult, if not impossible, to learn from past experiences.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:39:31 PM »
I actually list DFC when I've found and taped from the sweet spot of the PA which is not always center, usually close but not exactly centered especially indoors.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
  • stand height

Think of it this way:  taping is, in part, a learning experience every time we go out to record.  Without factual data, it's difficult, if not impossible, to learn from past experiences.

I do this, primarily for my own reference for the exact reason Brian mentions. 

One other thing I often note for such purposes is the angle of the performers on stage and/or between the FOH stacks as seen from the recording position.  I use an easy off-the-cuff measure to determine the angle - one fist width held at arms length covers approximately 10 degrees of view. To measure, hold one fist out and squint through one eye, aligning the outside of your fist with the first target.  Then place your other fist next to the first and leapfrog fist over fist until you are aligned with the second target, adding 10 degrees for each fist width.  Also makes friends/wife/girlfriend laugh and strangers wonder what the meaning of the freaky gesture you're making toward the band might be.

[edited spellin']
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:29:35 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
Thanks Brian, this is a great idea, +T.  Providing taping location details like that will help future tapers in the same venue pick spots to tape from without necessarily having a ton of recording trial and error at the place.  Will definitely do this in the future (and on my one LMA recording, although it'll have to be a gross estimate). 

Thanks to all for the suggestions folks.  8)

Always take taper claims of position with a grain of salt.  I've seen people claim DFC when they're actually 10'-12' off center.  FOB is another popular acronym (front of board), and IME it's often meaningless since <a> it gives no indication of the recording location relative to the sound source, and in a lot of smallish venues the whole darn venue is FOB.  Personally, I find that in addition to a detailed listing of the gear I'm running, it's best to accurately track the following actual values as a reference point for future recording opportunities (why everyon doesn't do this, I don't know - perhaps they're not as OCD as me...no surprise there!):

• stand height

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 01:28:01 PM »
I do something similar to what Brian said.  the only time FOB or DFC means anything to me is at a big theater or amph type show where the sound board is directly in the middle of the floor other wise who knows...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline datbrad

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 01:33:08 PM »
"DFC" is a relatively new term, actually, and there is one unknown taper somewhere that said he was "dead f*cking center" and used that acronym on a source and it then spread like wild fire. I think I first started seeing it on sources around 2002 or so, but it could have been 2001, but not much before that.

Back in the '80s and '90s, the tapers I ran with at that time used the same conventions that theater ticket sections showed on their charts and tickets, "CTR" (center) "LOC" (left of center) "ROC" (right of center).

(FOB) meant anywhere in front of the SBD area, and since the bulk of open taping done back then was in large venues for DMB, GD, Phish, and WSP, it's meaning was fairly straight forward and everyone knew it was not the same distance from the PA as the taping section, (TS, or OTS for "official" taping section), usually behind and occasionally next to, but never in front of the SBD.

Today, I think the meanings of FOB, DFC, and OTS are so much more relative, as Brian points out, and without actual location specifics, really does not indicate what actually was the physical location relative to the stage.

The below source info is what would tell any taper that knows the venue precisely where the recording was made:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=516445

The Black Crowes
July 5, 2008
Charlottesville Pavilion
Charlottesville, Virginia

***16 bit***

source: B&K4022(ortf)>Sonosax>744t (24/48 )
transfer744T>wavelab(fades/resample/bit depth)>cd wave>flac
recorded & seeded: craig davis

One Set
Disc One:
01 Intro/tuning
02 Movin' On Down The Line
03 Goodbye Daughters Of The Revolution
04 Hotel Illness
05 Thick N' Thin
06 Walk Believer Walk
07 Young Man Old Man
08 There's Gold In Them Hills
09 Boomer's Story*
10 Seeing Things
11 Welcome To The Goodtimes

Disc Two:
01 Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
02 Wiser Time
03 Jam>
04 Thorn In My Pride
05 Wounded Bird
Encore:
06 She
07 The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Notes:
* a huge moth flew into Chris' hair during Boomer's Story
and he jokes about it

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:36:19 PM by DATBRAD »
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

sml42

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »
FOB is another popular acronym (front of board), and IME it's often meaningless since <a> it gives no indication of the recording location relative to the sound source, and in a lot of smallish venues the whole darn venue is FOB.

I've often wondered about this. In my mind, 'FOB' means directly in front of the board; 'FOH' means anywhere in front of the board. At least, in my lineages, 'FOB' means directly in front of the board...

These days I tend to prefer getting upfront, which makes lineage easy (stagelip, front row, 2nd row etc). I have to confess I'm pretty rubbish at estimating distance (am I 5m from stage? 10m?). Any tips for guesstimating distance appreciated!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com