Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H2 modified to allow 4 line ins  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star

Offline widdly

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Zoom H2 modified to allow 4 line ins
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:47:56 AM »
That's a great idea. 

I would have gone with stereo 3.5mm sockets.  If you could find full switching 3.5mm sockets, you wire it switch off the internal mics when something is plugged in and eliminate the need for the toggle switches.

I think there should be a capacitor on the line inputs.  Those feeds will have a DC bias for the electret mic elements.  Without a cap, that DC is feeding straight into the line out of whatever he plugs in. 

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 02:14:06 AM »
That's cool.  I (think) I may have asked that here before, but never had the chance to try it.  Anyway, that would be great for cheapo ambisonic recording!

Does anyone have pictures and/or chip #'s for the guts in the H2.  It is insanely cheap.  Also, does anyone know what mics are inside?  Probably something like Panasonic WM55.  It would be cool to just hack the thing and put something like Sennheiser MKE40 in there.  Even better to put a tetrahedron mount for Ambisonic :).

Oh well.  Back to my omni recordings for now..

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:43:54 PM »
i think i recall reading that the caps inside are primo caps...chris church took one apart, i believe
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline widdly

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »
There is a guy on the micbuilders yahoo group called who has mounted a tetramic clone on the top of his H2....it looks great.  He is using those TSB-120 transound modules  http://www.jlielectronics.com/transsound/electrets/tsb-120a.htm

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:13:32 AM »
He is using those TSB-120 transound modules

Does anyone know of a source for these modules somewhere in Europe, preferably within the E.U.?

Ralf
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:15:09 AM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:33:44 AM »
I'ld prefer 2 lines and 2 mix at once.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »
i think i recall reading that the caps inside are primo caps...chris church took one apart, i believe

He told me they were Primo caps as well. His mod looked interesting but he gave up on it. He was going to cut the wires to the internal mics and install two 3.5mm sockets with built in switches so that when you plugged in external mics to the new sockets, it broke the connection to the internal mics. That way you could have run two pairs of external mics, or one pair internal and one pair external. That would have been cool for  A/B comparisons, trying two different configurations, cheap ambisonic, mid-side or Blumlein. I'm not sure what problems he ran into or why he gave up.

I'd prefer 2 lines and 2 mix at once.

I'd like that option too. A week or so ago I used the H2 line in to grab a soundboard to matrix with another recorder getting the ambient but haven't gotten around to it yet. I figured what the hell, if it doesn't work out I still have the ambient and can toss the H2 recording.

For the price the H2 is an ok recorder as long as you don't use the external mic connection. It makes a good backup recorder. Its also not as fragile as some will have you believe. I knocked mine off a bar and it hit the concrete floor hard. Not even a scratch!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:49:12 PM »
Did you see this video on modifying a H2 with baffles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoXxJuPRBrQ

and here is the line in mod video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1vJq13ukrk
- What's this knob do?

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »
Wow.....so for $200 you can have a 4 channel dig recorder.....tempting ;D

Offline popskull

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »
Now if we could figure out a spdif input mod, this box would be gold

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 09:42:17 PM »
My Dad once told me "Son you cant turn a turd into a steak no matter how bad you want to" Although you might be able to get 4 inputs they will overload so badly and be so noisy that it will hardly be worth all that work and the many trips to radio shack to make it happen ;)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »
My Dad once told me "Son you cant turn a turd into a steak no matter how bad you want to" Although you might be able to get 4 inputs they will overload so badly and be so noisy that it will hardly be worth all that work and the many trips to radio shack to make it happen ;)

I agree that it might not sound great.  But this might be a fun experiment for people that want to do ambisonic recording.  I'm thinking of using four of your capsules, or just the existing Primo caps from the Zoom.  Or mabye some Sennheiser MKE40.  Put them on top in a tetrahedral pattern and record four channels.  Not great, but a fun and inexpensive way to get started.

BTW, this raises a general question about ambisonic recording: How good do the mic capsules need to be.  The capsules may be good, but, clean off-axis response is critical.  I think this is one place Len at Core Sound has the edge.  He has taken those capsules, measured them, and then presumeably tuned his software to fix the imperfections.  At least that is what I expect.  I would want to see some calibration data before I laid down any serious money for one of the mics...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline popskull

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 10:00:49 PM »

Or a silk purse out of a sows ear

I hear ya......though I always encourage diy.........I know the results do not equal your craftmanship, but its how we learn ;D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »

I agree that it might not sound great.  But this might be a fun experiment for people that want to do ambisonic recording.  I'm thinking of using four of your capsules, or just the existing Primo caps from the Zoom.  Or mabye some Sennheiser MKE40.  Put them on top in a tetrahedral pattern and record four channels.  Not great, but a fun and inexpensive way to get started.

BTW, this raises a general question about ambisonic recording: How good do the mic capsules need to be.  The capsules may be good, but, clean off-axis response is critical.  I think this is one place Len at Core Sound has the edge.  He has taken those capsules, measured them, and then presumeably tuned his software to fix the imperfections.  At least that is what I expect.  I would want to see some calibration data before I laid down any serious money for one of the mics...

Richard

I would honestly say that calibration is EVERYTHING... with these mics and if the mics are not perfectly matched the whole thing is a waste of time. But its not only frequency response that needs to be matched its sensitivity and distortion and polar patterns that MUST be matched in order to make a great recording.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com