Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help needed in reading rane.com page  (Read 1473 times)

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
help needed in reading rane.com page
« on: February 05, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »
I'd like to ask to some of you experts some help. I've visited this page http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm
I confess I didn't understand that much, expecially for what concerns the different noise level related to input gain; it seems that with low gain there is more noise than with high gain. Of course I didn't understand...

Anyway, what interests me is a comparison with http://www.rane.com/note148.html , in which there is a table to help microphone choice to couple with preamp input. It seems that the more sensitivity and spl  a mic has, the easier  to clip the mic preamp.

Could you explain me, in order to choose a mic for an Edirol R09Hr, which is a right "limit" of mic sensitivity and spl to avoid clipping?
I thought, but I must be wrong, that a hotter mike was better in order to reduce noise due to using a lower gain, but if there is a risk to overload the input the thig is totally different....
I.e., it seems that a Rode nt4 (or similar with good spl and sensitivity about 12mV) shouldn't be a good choice. I don't know, then, if setting the mic input gain on Low could help or it should be necessary to have an attenuator on the mic.

I am a bit confused...can you give me some explanation please?
c

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: help needed in reading rane.com page
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
It's an interesting exercise, but I wouldn't rely on it when selecting a mic IRL.
You should also be aware that the website you mention focus on recording ambient and animal sounds, which requires totally different characteristic of the mics.

If you're looking for a mic to your R-09HR, just post a question specifying usage (stealth/open, loud music/acoustic/animals, caps needed?), and you'll get more relevant answers, and the folks will tell you which mics that don't overload your gear.

Don't sweat it with all those tables and numbers - leave it to guys like Dsatz!  ;D
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com