Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAC's?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
DAC's?
« on: January 07, 2004, 04:30:58 PM »
I'm seriously thinking of adding a Benchmark DAC-1 to my setup. If you know anyone thinking of getting rid of one let me know. I'm trolling audiogon and ebay but thought I'd throw it out here too.

If there are any other HQ dac's close in price to the benchmark I'd love to hear about it. Really can't spend over $900 so from what I've read the benchmark sounds like the most bang for the buck in that price range.

thanks guys!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

Re:DAC's?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 07:45:14 PM »
I'll keep an eye out!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Wiggler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 09:01:09 PM »
I'd compare it to the Grace 901 if you can.
http://www.gracedesign.com/products/product_frameset.htm
Musical Fidelity also makes a 24/192 dac in that price range that got a good review in Stereophile.

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 09:02:46 PM »
I'd compare it to the Grace 901 if you can.
http://www.gracedesign.com/products/product_frameset.htm
Musical Fidelity also makes a 24/192 dac in that price range that got a good review in Stereophile.

I know all about the 901.... just wish I could swing it!

I saw you reference the musical fidelity in a previous post.. I'm keeping ,y eyes out. thanks!

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 02:21:02 PM »
anyone know anything about the Bel Canto DAC-1?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 02:25:20 PM »
You checking out the one on Audiogon, too?  ;)  I found a couple reviews on Audio Asylum:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=general&n=42479&review=1

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=digital&n=54298&review=1

Both of which seem to match the various comments I've seen in the AA archives.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 02:27:59 PM »
hehe... for that price, I figured it would be worth it.

basically my transport is shit right now. da-20mkII and a sony cd/dvd player I paid $200 for last year. so I'm looking for an upgrade!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 02:29:44 PM »
hehe... for that price, I figured it would be worth it.

basically my transport is shit right now. da-20mkII and a sony cd/dvd player I paid $200 for last year. so I'm looking for an upgrade!

Join the club.  My transport is worse than yours!!  I won't embarass myself by stating what it is, just now.  :-X  Just upgraded my pre, and looking around for power amps and transports/DACs now.
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 02:32:06 PM »
well, being in a little apartment I'm happy with the 602.5's for now for speakers. The NAD is a real champ, plenty of power, very clean, it says "I'm a solid state and I'm proud". So adding a DAC of some sort is in order... if I don't like it I can always sell it!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 02:35:12 PM »
it says "I'm a solid state and I'm proud". So adding a DAC of some sort is in order... if I don't like it I can always sell it!

Yeah, that's the beauty of used gear - sell it for about what you paid.  I've bought almost all my home audio gear used, except for my Maggies, I think.  My Rotel pre and Adcom power amp both scream solid state as well...so I'm swapping out the Rotel for an Audio Experiences SYMPHONIES tube pre, just for kicks.  Next swap for me, I think, is the Adcom...then DAC/transport.  Sooooo many damn options, though...makes it tough to decide...
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 02:38:56 PM »
I'm stopping off at the local hi-fi shop this afternoon for some ideas.

all of my taping gear is used, the" hi-fi" (it barely qualifies!) is all new... but that will be changing.

my recording gear is dripping wet, every piece is heavy and colored... the playback is nice and clean.

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 06:20:27 PM »
well I just pulled the trigger on that Bel Canto DAC-1...

if I don't like it I can always sell it. should be here next week, I'm going to have to sit down and listen to my whole collection again... damn.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 06:28:28 PM »
well I just pulled the trigger on that Bel Canto DAC-1...

if I don't like it I can always sell it. should be here next week, I'm going to have to sit down and listen to my whole collection again... damn.

Nice!  Sounds like fun, Tim.  I'm gonna have to do the same when my new tube pre arrives.   ;D
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 06:30:17 PM »
nice problem to have!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 10:03:39 PM »
I'm running an ART DIO modified to a smART DIO by Boulder Cable co.
its breaking in...and sounding great, a huge upgrade from my Philips 963sa player...which was yards better than any other CD player I'd heard before (upsamples).

there are two upgrades for the ART, the smART and the MENSA.  You can get info on boulder cables site here:
http://store.wellsfargoestore.com/Store.asp?m=TheBolderCableCompany&n=10&k=79313&s=ART+DI%2FO+Accessories

do a little research on this (as I have), and you'll find people comparring it to real high-end DACs that are in the many thousand dollar price range.

another inexpensive option that I have read a lot of great things about is the Ack! dAck.  google on that as well.  I think it goes for $5-600 or there abouts.

Back to the Benchmark.  I've heard Carls, and LOVE it.  Yes, it sounded better than my DIO, but not overly apparrent on all material, and it was nowhere near broken in when we did our listening tests.  
Its ability to act as preamp (by adding gain) is wonderful for a digital system.  No remote though.  :(

I also hear lots of good things about the Scott Nixon tube DAC.  Also under a grand I believe.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com