Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for history of MK46 cables...***UPDATED INFO***  (Read 2626 times)

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
Looking for history of MK46 cables...***UPDATED INFO***
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
Anyone know when these were first made (year), by who what kind of (lemo?) connectors were used by part number? Is it indeed a lemo connector or is it by another manufacturer? I don't see any markings on the connector that would help identify it. Are they an AKG product or were they made by some mad genius? If they were all constructed by the same person, why did they stop making them?

I've been contacting some lemo connector dealers and got a call today from one. I may have a lead on something but need to find out more info which could prove to be helpful in finding exactly what I need. I'm not trying to have a completely new MK46 cable made for me but rather I would like an extension made but the connector is the hard part to find. I'm thinking that if these were made several years ago, perhaps the lemo outer shell design has changed. I really don't know, but I will post if I ever do find them.

Thanks for any help!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:01:15 PM by manitouman »
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Looking for history of MK46 cables...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
lemo is simply a brand name. you need a part number. have you tried mouser?
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:45:59 PM »
That's who I got a hit from. I haven't heard from them so maybe I'll have to re-submit the request. I've found a couple that look like it. It's the S-series and E-series. The difference is the specifications and I wouldn't have a clue which would be closer to what the MK46's use. The E-series are a sealed connector so maybe that would work better for outdoor applications.  ???

Here's the link w/pictures of the connectors...

http://www.lemo.com/browse.do?page=0&groupCollectionID=M

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 03:00:26 PM »
Here's an update, in case anyone really cares....Still know nothing about the origins but at least I'm getting close on the Lemo parts. According to some responses I received to my inquiries....they are very old.

I made a small slit on the heat shrink of the connector an peeled it back enough to expose the connector. It is a Lemo brand connector (I was made aware that there are several knock-offs) but there was no visible part numbers on it. I took some snapshots (figured out how the close up works on the camera) and shot off about 15 emails to different Lemo distributors to see if I could get some help. I also sent them approximate measurements in mm. I received several replies and I think they have found the connector for me. The only thing that's holding me back is the specifications of the connector. I have no clue as to voltages/amperages etc. I'm not at all good with those specification numbers and wouldn't know at all how to translate all that "talk". I don't want to make a purchase and find out these are the wrong ones. And, they are not cheap. They're like $25 and $15 for each end.

Again, as per the original post...I'm not making MK46 cables but rather looking for parts to make an extension for my existing set. If I do get these going, would anyone be interested in an extension for their MK46's?

Here's some links to some of the results of my inquiries...

Plug...(this one looks more like what I have in the picture)
http://www.lemo.com/display_product_detail.do?partNum=FFA0S303CLAC42

~ OR (this one comes in the black color housing) ~
http://www.lemo.com/display_product_detail.do?partNum=FFA0S303KLAC32Z

Receptacle...
http://www.lemo.com/partnum_search.do

~ OR (this one has a tab for ground) ~
http://www.lemo.com/partnum_search.do

I haven't dared open the cap end to look at the receptacle. But if anyone has, can you send/post some pictures of the receptacle to see if it has a ground tab? I've also been in contact with a few in house cable "engineers" to see if they can re-do the cabling so that it is shielded cable and wouldn't be so susceptible to outside interference such as cell phones. I think the end result will be some pretty awesome cables for the MK46's. We'll see, it's a work in progress....

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:02:33 PM by manitouman »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Looking for history of MK46 cables...***UPDATED INFO***
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »
Rather than spending the money for a part that may be incorrect, use the "Request a Sample" link under the "Contact Us" section of the right sidebar on the individual part page. May not do any good but it only takes a little time to fill out the form. I just requested a few samples so I can attempt to fab some extension cables for some older Beyer mics. I'll report back if I receive them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com