Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rechargeable 9.6 volts in an Nbox (revisited)  (Read 41630 times)

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Rechargeable 9.6 volts in an Nbox (revisited)
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »
You answered my question perfectly, so a new set of Duracell lasts slightly less time then these rechargeables.

I'm still confused what you guys are talking about when you mention switching the sides of the batteries. It sounds like you are using the same four batteries, switching them somehow inside the nbox, and getting another 3 plus hours. Am I understanding that correctly? Since I don't have my nbox yet, I'm a bit baffled about those statements. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get mine.

I better order a set of these. good times.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »
I'd say they last the same as Duracells. The batteries inside are wired 2 to a side so that 2 batteries are labelled change every show and 2 are labelled change every OTHER show. There is more drain on the change every show side - 2 9V batteries last 4 hours, but may last less without warning. The other side will last at least 8 hours with new batteries. To be safe, most people swap the batteries around inside after 3.5 hours to get 7-7.5 hours out of them. I will say that no matter what the brand is, batteries fail and when they do, it sucks. I now carry a multimeter with me for every show and test each battery before I put them into the Nbox. I swapped batteries at setbreak during a phish show last summer and apparently had a bad battery because the nbox died around 2.5 hours even after I swapped them after a 90 minute set.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 03:22:45 PM »
If I can get three hours, that should be about the length I'd need. I did two shows last Friday night and the total recording time of both bands was less than two hours total. I just need to make sure I can turn the nbox on and off. That way I can turn the power on when needed. I'll probably throw the batteries in shortly before hitting the venue. Is the nbox held together with screws? If it is, then I need to add a screw driver to the back pack I cart around with me to shows.

Thanks for explaining to me about how the batteries are wired inside with the labeling. Since I've never seen the inside of an nbox, I didn't know the fine details. I'll just need to remember for longer shows, festivals, to do some switching between bands. Sounds like I will eventually need to order four more of these rechargeables.

Thanks guys! Oh, what sort of multimeter would you guys recommend?
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
Is the nbox held together with screws?

Yes... But Permacel gaffer tape (P-665) is your friend.  The stuff is amazing, and has a bunch of uses.   It will hold the cover on the nbox very securely, and the same piece can be used countless times.   I prefer that approach.

The 1" wide tape is fine, the 2" is overkill for most everything.  I would avoid other brands - there can be huge differences in tape.  Not saying there aren't better versions, but Permacel supplies a lot of the tape Boeing uses to build aircraft.

Permacel has been bought by shuretape and the brand has changed.  I bought mine from these guys, about $7.50/roll.  Shipping was $8.   I bought some extras as gifts to friends/Dad.

http://www.goodbuyguys.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/22_86

In terms of battery testing, voltage alone is sometimes not a good measure.  You should really put a known load (from a resistor) on the battery and measure the voltage drop.  The problem is that some batteries tend to recover voltage when stored.

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
Interesting. I've never thought of using tape before. That seems like a neat approach for the situations that I would be in.

Thanks. Now I can't wait to test out the nbox.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 12:13:33 AM »
rubber bands you get from produce like broccoli work well too  ;)

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:35 AM »
I'm still happy with my Duracell Ultra's. not that I have an N-box anymore.....but my Aerco likes em.... 99.9% of the time, I KNOW the batteries I put in my pre will last the whole show, I know at least one person on this board had problems with these 9.6v rechargeables at a Pearl Jam show in October with their Nbox...better safe than sorry I'd say, don't use rechargeables.  If you'd rather save the earth than record a full show, that's understandable though.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
I'm still happy with my Duracell Ultra's. not that I have an N-box anymore.....but my Aerco likes em.... 99.9% of the time, I KNOW the batteries I put in my pre will last the whole show, I know at least one person on this board had problems with these 9.6v rechargeables at a Pearl Jam show in October with their Nbox...better safe than sorry I'd say, don't use rechargeables.  If you'd rather save the earth than record a full show, that's understandable though.

any idea who had the problem and what the circumstances were? batteries fail and nothing is 100% reliable. The Duracell Procells are supposed to be the most reliable batteries they make since they are what we use in hospital equipment and my understanding is that they have to undergo additional reliability testing. And those were what failed on me. I still wish there was a way to use external power with an nbox.

If there was a way to test each battery under load while at a concert I'd love to try it, but until then my multimeter is the best option I have.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »
Ohhh...I like the idea of rubber bands from broccoli. I'll have to save those next time we buy a few heads of broccoli.

I'm not really using the rechargeables to be green, but to be more cost economical. I wonder if Costco sells the Duracell Procells? Just more for me to think about before I get the Nbox.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »
Ohhh...I like the idea of rubber bands from broccoli. I'll have to save those next time we buy a few heads of broccoli.

I'm not really using the rechargeables to be green, but to be more cost economical. I wonder if Costco sells the Duracell Procells? Just more for me to think about before I get the Nbox.

I don't think Costco sells the Procells. 9V batteries are expensive around $2-3 each even in bulk. These are much cheaper and seem to be at least as good as any 9V alkaline.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »
9V batteries are expensive around $2-3 each even in bulk.

Duracells are about $1.75 at costco.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 07:47:18 PM »

any idea who had the problem and what the circumstances were? batteries fail and nothing is 100% reliable. The Duracell Procells are supposed to be the most reliable batteries they make since they are what we use in hospital equipment and my understanding is that they have to undergo additional reliability testing. And those were what failed on me. I still wish there was a way to use external power with an nbox.

If there was a way to test each battery under load while at a concert I'd love to try it, but until then my multimeter is the best option I have.

It wasn't a battery failure, more like user error. The 9.6 rc's last 3.7 hours and the taper tryed to go 4 hours without a swap.
Lets get the facts right.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »

It wasn't a battery failure, more like user error. The 9.6 rc's last 3.7 hours and the taper tryed to go 4 hours without a swap.
Lets get the facts right.

Your all about the facts Ed ;)

That was me and the issue I had was because I did not take them right off the charger..they were on a shelf few days after a charge..my recommendation is to top them off before shows moving forward. 

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »
I just took the plunge on the rechargeables. Wish I would have jumped in when this thread started. I must of spent the equivelant of 4-5 chargers/batts by not being an early adopter.

Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »
I've been trying to use rechargeables for a couple months now, but figured the cheapie charger and batteries at Fry's would work.  They did for a short period of time, but with a cheap charger, I think it cooks the battery and wrecks it.  I did a show last night starting out at 9.5v and within an hour the rig was dead.  I got home and through the batteries on the tester--yep 7.7v.  Thankfully, this was the 2nd night and I pulled a decent tape the night before. 

So I took the plunge.  Amazon has the same charger and batteries but at double the cost.  Usually Amazon is awfully close to the lowest price and I was shocked that I saved $30 at Thomas Dist. 

I big thanks to Ed. 

Can someone recommend a good smart charger for AA's for the Edirol? 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 04:13:59 PM by Scooter123 »
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com