Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 2)  (Read 187536 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 2)
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »
Looks like that's the case.

As you've discovered, indeed folders with no audio content don't show.  Add an audio file and the folder appears.  Add a text file.  Then use the "delete" menu option to delete the contents of the folder.  The audio file(s) get deleted, but the text file and the folder itself remains.  So it doesn't delete something that you couldn't see was there, which is good.

Later I may try installing Reaper onto the M10 itself.  I've tried it with other devices so there should be no problem.  It would enable you to connect the M10 to any PC that happens to be to hand and then to edit the recordings on the device without needing a program on the PC itself.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »
So it doesn't delete something that you couldn't see was there, which is good.

Yes... but..  I have been in situations where I unknowingly began recording on a card with insufficient free space.   I looked before the show, and saw no files on the card.  So I thought I was fine.  However, Jpeg files were taking up space.  They were not visible because the recorder would only display wav's.  And because the recorder would not delete anything other than wav's, I was unable to remove them at the set break.  I think I ended up using the SD card from my camera, but it was a brief crisis.   You'd think I could delete them using the camera, but no... They were in a 'misc' folder that the camera would not access.  Sometimes you really do need the ability to delete other file types.

Offline chrise

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »
According to the manual you can create your own recording folders in addition to (and instead???) of the existing 10 preset folders that came with the unit.

No - as you've figured, you can only record to the standard 10 folders.

Any other folders are just for playback.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
Yes... but..  I have been in situations where I unknowingly began recording on a card with insufficient free space.

Fortunately the M10 display always shows available running time calculated according to the current recording format.

Offline micmij

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2010, 12:24:05 AM »
Hi there,

Thanks for all the invaluable information in this thread and on this site!

I have a bit of a problem with my M10...  I got a friend to pick one up whilst he was visiting Japan (I'm in Australia and there's no indication of when it will be released here - so thought it was an opportunity to save on shipping costs) and it turns out that it is locked to the Japanese language.  After trying to translate the Japanese manual vs the English manual, asking a Japanese friend and even contacting Sony Japan I've had it confirmed that the language menu option that's on the US model just does not appear on the Japanese model.

I'm not sure if any one here knows, but from my experience with Sony MD players (that I had previously purchased in Japan and changed the language on!) it was possible to put the players in a 'service' mode that allowed you to access deeper, service-type options within the menu system.  I wonder if anybody knows of such a thing on the M10 and, if so, whether there is an option to turn on the language selection within that?

I've still managed to use it without too many problems as most of the buttons are fairly self-explanatory, and I can figure my way arouond the menu system translating the Japanese manual against the English one, but it would make the little beauty a little more useable if I could get the English language mode happening.

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Grey Area

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »
I don't know if there is a service mode like that, maybe there is. However, my PCM-M10, bought in Germany, has a language selection in the detail menu, giving a choice between English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Polish - and not Japanese. If yours is Japanese and does not give you a language selection, then this could be a sign that the Japanese model uses a different firmware. If they used the same, Japanese would likely be in the language selection among the others. As far as I know, Sony regularly does this with their mp3-players, where Japanese versions "speak" only Japanese.

Offline CatScan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »
I have a bit of a problem with my M10...  I got a friend to pick one up whilst he was visiting Japan (I'm in Australia and there's no indication of when it will be released here - so thought it was an opportunity to save on shipping costs) and it turns out that it is locked to the Japanese language.

Congrats on your PCM-M10, but sorry to hear about your language issues.
I don't know if this helps, but there's an eBay seller in Japan called "Ace_of_bicycle2004" who sells among many things Japanese Sony PCM-M10 units. The unit is clearly shown with Japanese labelling of the buttons, but I would assume that when selling it to other countries there would be very little interest if the language can't be changed. Maybe you can contact this seller and ask if it's possible, and how.

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »
...I'm in Australia and there's no indication of when it will be released here...

http://www.sony.com.au/product/pcm-m10
I'm guessing soon if it isn't already, but it probably doesn't help you, sorry.

Offline micmij

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2010, 12:39:34 AM »
Thanks for all the replies  :)

Grey Area - the US manual shows those language selections (less Polish) plus Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese x2 and Thai.  So there must a few firmwares going around.

CatScan - good idea, I'll give that a go.

tekdroid - I just spotted that, too. Although, it retails for twice what I paid for mine.

Offline CatScan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2010, 09:01:03 AM »
You're welcome  :D
yes, looks like there are different firmwares available, because I ordered mine from the States, but the only languages I can choose between are: English, Spanish and French.
According to the cardboard box it seems to be for the US/Canada market.

Oh, I found out that you can check which version firmware you have by holding in the STOP button for several seconds (while the unit is on). Mine shows version 1.00. Makes me wonder if Sony will release updates and if the unit will get any improvements. Does anyone here have the right contacts at Sony and can ask?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:03:27 AM by CatScan »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »
My Australian model (the expensive one...) shows firmware 1.00 also but the language choices are extensive.  There are sometimes hidden keypress combos to switch localisation in such devices but I've not found anything yet - apart from the odd behavior of the 'record' button which, if held down for long enough, does not put the M10 into record mode.  But doesn't appear to do anything else.  In the manual it discourages you from holding down 'record' for some reason.

Pressing record and play at the same time starts recording instantly I notice.  I also came across the facility to turn on repeat by holding down the 'play' button during playback, but rechecking the manual, that's in there.

Offline micmij

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
Ozpeter,

Out of interest, when and where did you get yours?  I had a look around at the main Sony places here in Sydney about a month ago and it wasn't around, and nobody seemed to know anything about a release date for it...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:26 AM »
I got mine from Videoguys in the Melbourne eastern suburbs, on Friday just passed.  $599, gulp.  But then again, going price of an RH-1 Hi-MD recorder is about $20 more (in Australia) so...

It's interesting to compare the size of the M10 vs RH-1.  The latter is thinner but squarer.  Its surface area is actually probably the same.  And as the RH-1 has no mic at all, to be fair you have to factor in some kind of mic attached to it.

All in all I see the M10 as the logical progression from Hi-MD.  Now I have 3 different Hi-MD portables jostling for space in the cupboard - from which they may very rarely emerge, but I think they've in essence been made redundant.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
To keep this in the M10 'archive' here I'll double post the following from another thread -

I've just tried recording my ultrasonic rat deterrent device at a distance of 1 metre using my shiny new Sony PCM-M10 set to 24/96.

The ultrasonic sweep tone emitted by the device shows very clearly in a spectral display of the recording, right up to 48kHz.

The recording can be downloaded at http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/1451533/M10%20ultrasonic.WAV

Offline micmij

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
I got mine from Videoguys in the Melbourne eastern suburbs, on Friday just passed.  $599, gulp.
What the heck, it's a beautiful piece of equipment, anyway, isn't it?  It is a little annoying how expensive these things are here in Oz, though.  I could understand when the exchange rate was so poor, but now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com