Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Copper Mic Cables  (Read 4199 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Copper Mic Cables
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »

I'm looking for recommendations for specific cable brands and types for a set of 17ft "all copper" mic cables.  I want to give the "all copper" cables a listen and try something in the cable line that is NOT silver plated.

Thanks!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: Copper Mic Cables
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »
it's hard to go wrong with Canare star quad.  the L-4E6S is their standard star-quad, and the L-4E5C is a smaller diameter version of the star-quad.  both are all copper and are excellent cables.  I've used both, with excellent results.  I also have a stereo cable made from their L-4E3-2P, which is a 2-channel snake, with star-quad arrangements for each channel.

Actually, if you wan to borrow a set, shoot me a PM, and I can send you one or two sets to try out.  My standard XLR cables don't see much action these days ever since I got the beyerdynamic's and just use the "active" cables on those...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:28:52 AM by JasonSobel »

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »
I'll second the motion on the Canare.  I have a homemade pair I use occasionally for a secondary pair, and I can't hear any difference.

And a great big virtual +T to Jason for his generous offer.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:56:03 AM »
it's hard to go wrong with Canare star quad.  the L-4E6S is their standard star-quad, and the L-4E5C is a smaller diameter version of the star-quad.  both are all copper and are excellent cables.  I've used both, with excellent results.  I also have a stereo cable made from their L-4E3-2P, which is a 2-channel snake, with star-quad arrangements for each channel.

Actually, if you wan to borrow a set, shoot me a PM, and I can send you one or two sets to try out.  My standard XLR cables don't see much action these days ever since I got the beyerdynamic's and just use the "active" cables on those...

Thanks for your offer Jason.  I'll probably take you up on that.  I'll PM you later today.

:coolguy:

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
We use Mogami for everything in our 2 channel and multitrack rigs.  Very happy with the results.  Not sure if I was expecting different with silver or not, but it seemed a little bright and shiny compared to the copper, which seemed to be a truer representation of what we were hearing in the room.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
Canare starquads are fantastic.  If you are patriotic, Belden makes equivilent quad-cable in the US.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »
We use Mogami for everything in our 2 channel and multitrack rigs.  Very happy with the results.  Not sure if I was expecting different with silver or not, but it seemed a little bright and shiny compared to the copper, which seemed to be a truer representation of what we were hearing in the room.

What type of Mogami cable are you using Dirk?  Either one of these:

Mogami 2534 - #24AWG Mogami Neglex quad cable

Mogami Neglex quad cable is perfect cable for home studios suffering from wiring
and grounding problems. Mogami 2534 should also be used where intense RFI interference is a problem.  Mogami 2534 provides an improvement in signal to noise of 10-20db over equivalent twisted pair cables.  Double conductors quad cables are more effective in canceling noise that can get past even the best of shields and is critical in an environment of high RF and EM interference.

Conductor insulation is XLPE ( Cross-Linked Polyethylene) which has excellent electrical characteristics and prevents shrink-back during soldering. Served (spiral) Bare Copper Shield is superior to foil or braided shields for sound quality and simplifies termination.

Mogami W2549 - Neglex Type #22AWG Balanced Microphone Cable

Mogami W2549 has been designed using our famous Neglex OFC to provide the highest
quality audio reproduction in any recording application. It features #22AWG conductors
and extremely low capacitance. The 100% coverage served shield and twisted pair construction
is excellent at preventing noise caused by electromagnetic interference. This cable is recommended when extended high frequencies are important or where long cable runs may be needed.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

What type of Mogami cable are you using Dirk?  Either one of these:

Mogami 2534 - #24AWG Mogami Neglex quad cable

Mogami Neglex quad cable is perfect cable for home studios suffering from wiring
and grounding problems. Mogami 2534 should also be used where intense RFI interference is a problem.  Mogami 2534 provides an improvement in signal to noise of 10-20db over equivalent twisted pair cables.  Double conductors quad cables are more effective in canceling noise that can get past even the best of shields and is critical in an environment of high RF and EM interference.

Conductor insulation is XLPE ( Cross-Linked Polyethylene) which has excellent electrical characteristics and prevents shrink-back during soldering. Served (spiral) Bare Copper Shield is superior to foil or braided shields for sound quality and simplifies termination.

Mogami W2549 - Neglex Type #22AWG Balanced Microphone Cable

Mogami W2549 has been designed using our famous Neglex OFC to provide the highest
quality audio reproduction in any recording application. It features #22AWG conductors
and extremely low capacitance. The 100% coverage served shield and twisted pair construction
is excellent at preventing noise caused by electromagnetic interference. This cable is recommended when extended high frequencies are important or where long cable runs may be needed.

Both, actually.  We use a lot of 2 and 4 channel snake cable Mogami, and I believe all of those are 2534.  I also have standard single XLR cables which are 2549.

We do also have some Gotham cable and we have a couple of snakes that are 24 channel ProCo, now that I think of it but it's all legacy stuff.  If I have to buy any cable nowadays I gravitate toward the Mogami right away.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com