Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SoX  (Read 9937 times)

Offline dabbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: SoX
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »
Btw, SoX 14.4.2 was released not too long ago.  Faster resampling, Opus reading, mcompand clipping fix, improved LADSPA support and a bunch of other things.

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 11:26:36 PM »
Btw, SoX 14.4.2 was released not too long ago.  Faster resampling, Opus reading, mcompand clipping fix, improved LADSPA support and a bunch of other things.

Thanks for the heads-up.

beenjammin

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 12:35:47 PM »
I'm really interested in learning how to use SOX, but I'm new to command line software.

I've searched around and haven't found much to help me. Is there a step by step introduction to SOX for the complete newbie? I mean, I'm not even sure I installed it correctly! I'm on OS X if that makes a difference.

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 12:16:44 AM »
The manpage ("man sox") has good examples and also in-depth info IMHO:

http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html

The thing with command-line programs is you have to read documentation before getting anything done, instead of stumbling around a GUI and hoping to get lucky :)  But I think the time investment is worth it in terms of repeatability and automatability, especially when you learn to script things.

What I don't recommend is blindly running things without understanding what they do, viruses spread that way.

Take your time, don't expect to be an expert overnight, but learn a little bit-by-bit.  The basic principles of command-line programs and pipelines/filters (which sox both implements internally, as well as being able to use external filters/effects) goes well beyond sox or audio and can be generalized into any sort of stream processing (text/log files, traffic inspection/routing, tc).

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 01:30:11 AM »
My main use for SoX is converting 24 bit stereo (post-processed)>44.1/16 material.

SoX is fast as hell and sounds good too. Takes a little getting used to compared to a GUI, but well worth the effort, IMHO.

I was using R8Brain prior to SoX for resample/dither and R8Brain took 5 or 6 times longer and the end product is equal, AFAIC.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
i use the sox plugin for foobar2000 (in windows) to perform SRC -- works great!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com