Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD: what are you guys all shooting at? ie: 60i, PF30, PF24, etc  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
HD: what are you guys all shooting at? ie: 60i, PF30, PF24, etc
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »
Not sure if all HD cams have these but my Canon HV30 does.  I've been shooting the standard HD at 60i. Manual focus always.  Not sure if I should try out shutter priority (tv) or Cinemode.  I don't want blur and I've read fast motion can cause that with the other modes.  I just want the footage crisper.  Thoughts?   Is it gain that is making it seem a bit blurry?  Lightning seemed great in the room.   ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaEBfL2YFO0

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: HD: what are you guys all shooting at? ie: 60i, PF30, PF24, etc
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
I always shoot 24 progressive. Well, no, I shoot 25 progressive because I'm in Europe, but 24p is your equivalent. PF24.

And always in Cinemode.

I do this for various reasons. One, because it allows the shutter to open up to 1/24 (or 1/25) where needed to compensate for crappy lighting. Although - this seems to be the opposite of what you want. Obviously, longer shutter times = more motion blur. But I find that the advantage of an added stop of light when you need it far outweighs less motion blur if the less motion blur version is underexposed (or overly noisy because more gain is added to compensate).

Cinemode limits the gain to around +6dB or +9dB ish maximum - any more than that and it looks like utter shite. It also does less internal processing and fiddling about with the colours and contrast - more natural colours and wider dynamic range. Although, it means you can't set shutter- or apeture- priority mode - you can only set the overall exposure manually.

Also, quite simply, interlacing is archaic. I heartily believe it's a stupid concept, and I long for the days when it's relegated to nothing more than quaint little museums and History of Video texbooks. The de-interlacing done by most NLE software is often pretty poor. I always run interlaced footage through a Avisynth script with a tdeint() before any other processing. Poor de-interlacing algorithms will definitely blur the image. The only time I would ever voluntarily shoot interlaced is if I wanted to do some on-the-cheap slow-mo.

So basically 24p mode just means the shutter can open longer leading to better exposure but more motion blur, and Cine mode means you can't manually force the shutter to stay above a certain level.

If you want to minimise motion blur, you're gonna want to keep the shutter open as small a time as possible. You can put it into 24p but in shutter-priority to control it. But this way you get none of the advantages of Cine mode - dynamic range, colours, gain, etc. Or, I think, you can put it into 60i but in Cine - this way you can't control the shutter but you can be sure it won't go below 1/60. This way you get the advantages of Cine mode, but also all the disadvantages of Interlacing.

Certainly, you do not want to be limiting the shutter speed to anything less than the 1/60 limit imposed by the 60i mode you're currently in. Not in indoor concert enviroments.

But to be perfectly honest - I see nothing wrong with your sample. It's obviously hard to tell with the YouTube compression, but it looks sharp and bright enough to me. Can you post a full size jpg screenshot taken from the original M2T file? At the end of the day, for a tiny hand-hold-able camcorder in a little club with cheap lighting, there's gonna be a ceiling. I have a feeling you're at it already. I certainly cannot see any motion blur - at least, not any objectionable motion blur. No motion blur at all would look weird. Put it this way - most feature films are shot at 24p with a shutter of 1/48 (where they can control the lighting enough). I can't imagine you look at them an complain they're blurry. If there is Blur in your sample - it probably is due to noise. If there's that much noise, it's because the gain is very high. If the gain is that high, you'd do better to have the shutter at 1/24 so that the cam is able to expose to the same level without jacking up the gain. The added motion blur would look less objectionable than the noise.

Hence, I always shoot 25p/24p in Cine mode. I'd try it at least once, see what you thing. Manual Exposure too. Turn on Zebras at 100%. They will help with exposure setting. Bear in mind, on my HV20, the Zebras are maybe one or two 'manual exposure steps' optimistic - they zebra out when it's not quite clipped yet.

Just IMO, of course.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
Many thanks for the reply.  What are your thoughts on 30 instead of 24?  I'm not sure I'm ready for the whole pulldown post processing stuff.   :help:  And are you familiar with the Gain (Exposure Lock with Photo Button Trick) ?  ie.  locking the exposure at 1.8 1/48

My only worry is a show like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH9VnmVsF3Y&p=389423AF11B36484

It would seem it would be unviewable if shot in cinemode?  It's already so dark.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
Oh, does the pulldown thing still apply for 24p in the HV30? I remember reading about it on the HV20 when it came out, but we don't have that problem with the PAL models so I've not kept track of any changes. If it is still all wrapped up in a weird container framerate and you don't want to bother with it, shooting straight 30p would be good enough.

I've heard about the exposure locking trick, but never tried it. Can you lock in all 3 to whatever settings you like? I think it works in combination with Cine mode, right? In which case that would probably be a decent idea/combination. Though I still think shutter down to 1/24 or 1/30 (depending on framerate used) is something to consider when the light gets really bad.

Hm, yeah, for something like that you'd probably want more gain. Although still leave it in progressive mode - that is a golden example of where as much light as possible is the most important thing. I guarantee that situation will look better overall at 1/30 than 1/60. Especially tripodded. If I was shooting that I'd probably leave it in progressive mode, but take it out of Cine and into shutter priority. Shutter at 1/30 or 1/24, then manually bump up the exp (opening Apeture & adding gain) as much as I dared before the gain got too high. But not too much. Max gain is, IMO, worse than having it underexposed but less noisy.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:41:37 PM »
What is end product?If bluray than 60i or real 24p is the only choice 30p is only a web format it is not in the DVD or  Bluray spec.I shoot at 60i always i dont care for the 24p look  maybe 60p. As stated never leave the gain maxed out back off 4 or 6 steps.My sony fx1000 has gain up to 24db but i never go above 9db because the image is garbage.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
What is end product?If bluray than 60i or real 24p is the only choice 30p is only a web format it is not in the DVD or  Bluray spec.I shoot at 60i always i dont care for the 24p look  maybe 60p. As stated never leave the gain maxed out back off 4 or 6 steps.My sony fx1000 has gain up to 24db but i never go above 9db because the image is garbage.
Did not know this. Or, more accurately, had forgotten it was not part of DVD Spec, but assumed it was part of Blu-Ray spec.

Although on further research 25p isn't part of the DVD Spec either - but I put 25p footage on DVDs all the time. I'm pretty sure the MPEG-2 DVD encoder simply duplicates each progressive frame and then throws away half the lines from each. This way the stream is technically 50i, even though 2 consecutive fields contain information from only one temporal moment. I think the stream's header flags are then set to progressive, so the DVD player knows to just straight combine consecutive fields together on playback. Right?

In which case, wouldn't a similar trick be posible to put 30p onto Blu-Ray disguised as 60i?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 01:03:43 PM »
@Mark-  Hard to say exactly without having the original .m2t here,but I'd have to say it's the focus thats a bit off.You mention manual focus but how are you going about it exactly?Another way is to zoom to your subject and switch to AUTO focus to get that sharp focus and switch back to Manual to lock it.But of course you need to do that for every composition.

Both videos look alright to me...the second one is just a matter of minimal lighting.When the singer steps into to that hard direct light he's a bit overexposed on his forearm and neck so i think its an accurate representation of what was lit.The only way to get a better lit scene is to have more lights and talk to the light guy ahead of time.Ask him to bring up the white light(the ones with no gels).Or at least put a spot on the frontmans mic area.Really nothing can be done other than more(better lighting)for those situations.Talk to the light guy( i assume you alraedy talk to the sound guy.)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:11:07 AM »
in low light situations I shoot at 60i tv mode shutter at 1/30 (HV20)

with your christmas show footage i dont see an issue. 

make sure your lens is clean,  that is a good way to cause blur
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
nice footage Mark!
my new cam does 60p  but it aparently is not compatible with iMovie '09
 I'm not sure it is they way to go for me- at least with non music vids
so far I'm impressed with the Panasonic HDC-SDC600P
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline richie11duchon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 06:43:21 AM »
The suitable one for me 60i tv mode...got some great footage.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 07:59:09 PM »
Used LUMIX FZ100 for 1080i videos; camera specs in previewed here:  http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072108panasonicdmcfz100.asp

Shot the moon at 32x 1080i 30fps using setting stated in opening credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S9FbKesQ9M

Very low lit acoustic guitar duet performance, and this 1/2.3" CMOS sensor has disadvantages, for better or worse used the IAuto auto mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k49lNgTBy8

Optimum lighting inside greenhouse on cloudy day Vet's Day; no memory of settings but likely IA again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6-FyO-thJo
And Vet's Day was first use of my DIY all-in-one telescopic monopod mounted rig pictured below, but pole then needed horizontal stabilizing 'bicycle grip' bar attached giving better chance of steady image while moving about.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:03:10 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
Great material Mark, very nice job.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:29:28 AM »
I'd have a similar question. I bought Canon Legria Hf S20
Somebody recommended to me Cine mode. I have used only for one rock show. Picture is awesome!, but somtimes focus lost during zoom, when light changes wasnt even heavy...
Else recommended auto mode, so the cam follow the change of lights fast.
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »
I normally run PF24, but I tried straight 24F last night.  Gives it a more cinematic look but there is more blur.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
1080/60p

I use a panasonic hdc-sd600 for this. Great cam!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com