Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: 50 to 60" Plasma with good marks in the dub 1K dollar range.  (Read 19358 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ISO: 50 to 60" Plasma with good marks in the dub 1K dollar range.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »
BTW, based on this thread (and being cheap), I went ahead and picked up a Samsung 50" plasma.  I got it for the conference championships (honest my Packer-fan-wife, I got the new tv so you could enjoy the game better....)

Only $650, so way cheaper than LCD tv's, and a far, far nicer picture than the sony rear projection LCD it replaced.  Perhaps not as nice a picture as a high-end LED-LCD, but great for us since we're not huge videophiles.  I compared it against a Zenith (made by LG) 50" plasma that was only $550.  I liked the Samsung picture much better.  I agree it is hard to compare in a store not knowing how it was set up, but though I couldn't adjust the Samsung picture, they had left the remote for the Zentih lying there.  I spent a lot of time totally changing around all the settings and playing with everything, and nothing I did made the Zenith look as good as the Samsung positioned right next to it.

I spent some time with my Digital Video Essentials set up disk to really try to tweak the settings (damn there are a lot!), and really have it dialed in pretty good at this point.

I don't notice anything objectionable in the way of noise from it.  It's in our family room in a finished basement which though it has plenty of windows, doesn't get strong lighting, so the brightness on it has been fine. 

Overall, a great tv for the money.  For our watching habits, it is hard to justify spending $2000-3000 for a tv (again, did that once already), and the plasma has fit the bill nicely.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »
You can't judge a set at all by how it looks in a showroom.  Right out of the box most sets are programmed for vivid mode or a similar mode just to make the set stand out in a showroom under bright lights etc.  This showroom mode is not at all what you want to use at home and should not be used to judge a set.

Digital Video Essentials, Spears & Munsil etc. are great for adjusting the user settings for your set, definitely money well spent.

To go even further an ISF Imaging Science Foundation calibration will fully calibrate your set well beyond what you can achieve without special training and thousands of dollars worth of test & measurement gear.  You probably don't want to spring for this type of calibration on a $600.00 set but is worthwhile on more expensive sets.

http://www.imagingscience.com/

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:14:47 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
depending on deals, you might be able to get close to $1k for the Panasonic 50-ST30.  That's a great panel.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com