Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audioengine D1 DAC/headphone amp  (Read 4383 times)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Audioengine D1 DAC/headphone amp
« on: July 07, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
This thread got me to look into look into Audioengine, first to learn about their active monitors, but then I started poking around:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156681.0

Since I do most of my editing and processing with headphones at this time, I've been interested in getting a headphone amp. I decided to give this one a try:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D1

I figure if I do go with some active monitors in the future, then this will work for them as well. I just wanted to say that right now I'm processing a show from last night, and I'm switching back and forth between the D1 and the headphone jack on my MacBook Pro. I'M IMPRESSED! It's like a sunny day vs. a cloudy one. Much more dynamic, clearer (not smeared) low end, and much less sibilance at the high end. If you're in the market for a headphone amp/DAC, this one is worth considering. FYI, I'm using Sony MDR-7506 cans.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Audioengine D1 DAC/headphone amp
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:20:05 AM »
I recently picked up a D1 and am pretty impressed.

Paired with the Blue Sky Exo2 2.1 system, the sound is sweet.  Very warm and lush.

I'm happy that the computer recognizes it every time, which a lot of USB interfaces have issues with.
Highly recommended!

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
I recently picked up a D1 and am pretty impressed.

Paired with the Blue Sky Exo2 2.1 system, the sound is sweet.  Very warm and lush.

I'm happy that the computer recognizes it every time, which a lot of USB interfaces have issues with.
Highly recommended!

Hmmm. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on some Audioengine A5+ monitors. Perhaps I need to look at the Blue Sky Exos.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
It's fluffing time!

So, I pulled the trigger on this bad boy as I found it in a retail computer store nearby. The unit is incredibly small (>cigarette pack), but packs a big punch. I connected it to my Toshiba and after it loaded the drivers, I was good to go. The first play thru Foobar took a sec, but the Realtek soundcard has been bypassed. So frickin' easy. I also like the fact this sucker can feed external sources as well.

I have paired it with ATH-50's and I am really happy with the results. No worries about the sound, as Bryon mentioned, it is a difference like night and day to the regular laptop setup.

Good find bryonsos.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
It's fluffing time!

So, I pulled the trigger on this bad boy as I found it in a retail computer store nearby. The unit is incredibly small (>cigarette pack), but packs a big punch. I connected it to my Toshiba and after it loaded the drivers, I was good to go. The first play thru Foobar took a sec, but the Realtek soundcard has been bypassed. So frickin' easy. I also like the fact this sucker can feed external sources as well.

I have paired it with ATH-50's and I am really happy with the results. No worries about the sound, as Bryon mentioned, it is a difference like night and day to the regular laptop setup.

Good find bryonsos.

I continue to be impressed by the D1. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the build quality and form factor, both of which are excellent. I've been enjoying this unit so much, I went ahead and ordered a pair of A5+ active monitors to go with it. Should be a nice upgrade to the man cave.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com