Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone have chopped DPA 4060/4061 cable ends laying around?  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Anyone have chopped DPA 4060/4061 cable ends laying around?
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »
If you've re-terminated your 4060/4061 DPAs to a stereomini-plug or mini-xlr and still have the old microdots laying around with more than about an inch of cable still attached to them please let me know and I'll take them off your hands for trade or cash.

I'm looking to make a custom breakout cable with 4 microdot terminated cable legs, and leftover ends are one way to go about it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline andy_landy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Anyone have chopped DPA 4060/4061 cable ends laying around?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
can't help you directly, but... a few years ago i had fresh microdots put on my 4060s. i recall talking to the distributor at the time, and they said that if i wanted to re-terminate them myself i could buy just the microdot plugs... they would also sell me a tool to do the job, but cautioned that it was quite fiddly. (i decided in the end to just send the mics back to dpa and have them do the work).

as i say this was a few years ago... i have no idea if this is still an option, but maybe worth checking with your local dpa rep.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:42:38 PM »
To install new standard mircrodots on a cable, there are two specialized tools (sold as one maybe, it's a 2-part thing I think) requried, in addition to the correct sized crimper and the microdot connectors themselves.  The specialized tools and crimper are rather costly, which is the motivation for this work-around.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline andy_landy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 05:44:36 AM »
right you are. just wanted to flag up this could have been an option, but it looks like you've already done your homework :)

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
If you've re-terminated your 4060/4061 DPAs to a stereomini-plug or mini-xlr and still have the old microdots laying around with more than about an inch of cable still attached to them please let me know and I'll take them off your hands for trade or cash.

I'm looking to make a custom breakout cable with 4 microdot terminated cable legs, and leftover ends are one way to go about it.

We've got 'em. Give me a call.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »
Thanks Len.  I've been at a trade show all week & I'll give a call when I return.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com