Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100 Part2  (Read 114901 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-D100 Part2
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »
Thank you for the advice, but the headphone jack seems dead.  I will ship this to family in California via express mail and have them return it to Amazon so I can get a refund.  Amazon gives me a month to do this, and there's still time left.

The only reason I even knew about Amazon Warehouse Deals is because a kind person in this thread suggested it.  But what I discovered is that Amazon is utterly incompetent when it comes to items sold there.  I've used Amazon USA and Amazon Japan for YEARS without a single problem.  Amazon Warehouse Deals comes with a very big caveat.  First of all, I should say that I am a very meticulous person.  I started 3 different Chats with an Amazon rep to confirm the condition and items included before I purchased.  They answered most all my questions.  When the unit arrived, it even had an "Inspected" sticker affixed to the box.  But after finding out the headphone jack was dead (at which time I began posting here again), I also discovered that the wireless receiver unit for the remote control was not inside the box!  The remote is there but not the companion IR receiver module.  Then I discovered that the unit should have also come with a protective case for the D100, but that was no where to be found.  Utter incompetence.  There's no excuse for this, especially when I invoked 3 different chat sessions with them to confirm all would be well prior to purchase.

You folks in the US probably couldn't care less, and for good reason.  When there's a problem, you just return it to Amazon for free.  But for me, living in Japan, I must pay to get it transshipped to me, and then if there's a problem, I need to ship it to either family or a cooperative freight-forwarded who will print the required labels and then ship it back to Amazon, all within their designated time frame.

I've ordered a new unit, this time from B&H (since the sale price is cheaper than Amazon, and there is no tax, and the shipping is free too -- within the USA).  I will then get it forwarded to me by family.  Hopefully that will solve these messy problems.

Amazon Warehouse Deals...  NEVER AGAIN!

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. That's really annoying. But I'm surprised you ended up buying from Amazon USA Marketplace since you were understandably skeptical, and I expected you would get the deal you found at Amazon Japan which I thought was quite good:

"Current pricing from Amazon Japan marketplace sellers is ¥85800 (brand new), which at today's rate is about $760, and includes 8% sales tax for Japan and free shipping."

In any case, I hope it all works out with B&H and you finally get to enjoy this very fine recorder.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2017, 10:19:30 PM »
...I expected you would get the deal you found at Amazon Japan which I thought was quite good:

"Current pricing from Amazon Japan marketplace sellers is ¥85800 (brand new), which at today's rate is about $760, and includes 8% sales tax for Japan and free shipping."

When you live outside the US like I do, having bank accounts in both countries, you find there are times when you have reasons to use your USA-based US Dollar account instead.  That is what decided my country of purchase this time.  Add to that, I am an old-school guy who likes manuals printed on old fashioned paper.  Had I purchased here in Japan, the manuals in English would be available to me only in digital format.  I love my iPad and even subscribe to magazines on it.  It's just there are times when I want certain things on paper.  The only way to get that with regard to the D100 is buy it in an English-speaking country.

I will report back, possibly with samples, once the "NEW" (and hopefully "perfect") D100 arrives.

Thanks.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2017, 04:00:35 AM »
JDW when I mentioned the "Amazon Warehouse" deal to you that I received, I initially had no idea that you lived in Japan.  Sorry for your troubles. 

My transaction with Amazon Warehouse Deals was painless and flawless.  I am also a very, very, very picky person when it comes to audio gear!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:05:46 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2017, 04:18:04 AM »
JDW when I mentioned the "Amazon Warehouse" deal to you that I received, I initially had no idea that you lived in Japan.  Sorry for your troubles. 

It's not your fault.  It's 100% Amazon's fault.  I actually appreciate the tip because the selling price was only $600 (if you wait and nobody buys, the price drops).  What really ticks me off is that I chatted with them 3 times prior to purchase and they still screwed it up.  They basically flat out lied to me when they told me it was a "complete" product.  Again, the IR receiver and the soft case were missing.  The dead headphone jack was on top of that, proving that they really don't test the equipment at all, despite the sticker.  And truly, their cop-out is this: "just return it within 30 days if there's a problem."  Not an issue if you're in the US, but it's an issue for me.

Oh well, it's a learning experience.  I'm please to hear you didn't have a problem with your Amazon Warehouse Deals D100 though.  That's great!

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »

Thanks JDW.  Good luck!!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline adrjork

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2017, 08:50:25 PM »
Hi everyone.

Just a question: which is the best (for audio quality) options for "little" sounds (like man's sighs, moving clothes, man's steps, etc.) between
Sony D100 (built-in mics),
Tascam DR100mk3 (built-in mics),
Tascam DR100mk3 + AT4053B.

Thanks for your replies.

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2017, 01:20:55 AM »
The Sony is fantastic for little sounds, soft sounds, etc. I can't compare to the Tascam but the Sony preamps are truly fantastic. I can use an EV RE20 mic with it (which requires a lot of gain) and get no background noise. So if you want pure quality then this is the one.

I have to admit I rarely use the Sony inbuilt mics. I mainly use with external mics for things like interviews, capturing music, etc. However as I remember the internals will be perfect for small sounds. The major problem is you absolutely need to use the provided windscreen as the internal mics are very sensitive to wind. The D100 should also work well with any mic you have as long as it does not need phantom power.

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2017, 03:23:02 AM »
My reply about the Sony D100 vs. Tascam Dr100-MKIII is here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178782.msg2230303#msg2230303

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2017, 04:10:45 AM »
I bought the D100 specifically so I could use it with the built in mics. If I wasn't interested in the built in mics, I would not have bought the D100 since the new Sound Devices MixPre-3 with -130dBV noise floor is superior.

JDW wrote this in his linked post. I completely agree. I bought the Sony D100 when it first came out a few years ago and have loved it. But I also now have the Sound Devices MixPre-3 and it is one fantastic device! If you are going to use external mics then I do find the MixPre-3 superior to anything on the market under about $2,000. It also has the advantage that you can record to the device itself, or directly to a computer (great if you want to podcast, do audio lectures, etc.)

So at this point in my life I'll start using the D100 only with internal mics, or some lightweight and low gain needed small mics (binaural mics, nav mic) that I need for creating a super small recording combo. Most of the time I don't need anything as compact. The D100 has the small, but sometimes important, feature that it comes with a case that attaches to a belt so you can easily wear it. Again, it's a special situation but I do need that at points.

If I were starting out anew I'd buy only the MixPre-3. But the D100 is still a great option used under the right circumstances.

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2017, 07:35:36 AM »
If you followed what I wrote earlier in this thread you will see that I had a bad experience with Amazon warehouse deals in that the D100 had a defective headphone output. So I purchased a new unit from B&H had a family member forward it to me, and it arrived today.  I'm not sure if this is how all new D100s ship, but the one I received did not have any shrink wrap around it and the slipcover it was actually quite beat up, but the black box was in perfect condition, and the contents inside were new and clearly never had been used. The infrared receiver for use with the remote was included and it has the black protective case as well.  This D100 is truly a complete set.

I must say that the mics built into this thing are incredibly sensitive. Even at recording level 5, using 48kHz at 24-bit LPCM and the 100dB noise setting (which disables the limiter), the mics are even able to pick up the audible HF noise/whine of the fluorescent lights in my room which my ears barely discern. When I move my barefoot on a hardwood floor with the recorder on I can hear the friction scuffle of my foot against the floor on the recorder which I wouldn't normally hear with my ears. And because the mics are so sensitive you cannot walk around with it and less you have the dead cat attached. The mics are pretty amazing.

Offline adrjork

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
Thank you so much for the answer! Please, let me step further: for "tiny or little" sounds, is it better Sony Built-in mics, or MixPre-3 + AT4053B, or MixPre-3 + C414xls?
Thanks

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »
The only way for someone to answer that specific question is if they owned all of the equipment you mentioned, which I myself do not.  One thing to keep in mind is that the MixPre-3 plus an external mic is going to cost you more than D100 and will take up more space too. 

One disadvantage to the D100 is that touching the body of the D100 will result in thumps in your recording; however, it does come with a wireless remote and you can mount it on a rubber shock mount and then put it put on a tripod. But doing all of that may defeat the purpose of having an ultra compact system with built-in microphones.

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2017, 12:33:08 AM »
Thank you so much for the answer! Please, let me step further: for "tiny or little" sounds, is it better Sony Built-in mics, or MixPre-3 + AT4053B, or MixPre-3 + C414xls?
Thanks

This is hard for me to answer as I don't have all the equipment you refer to. Overall the MixPre-3 will have better preamps, but both are very very good. You'll especially notice the difference in preamps between any devices the more they need to work with mics that require a lot of gain (e.g. think of the Electro-Voice RE20 studio voice mic). I believe the two mics you reference do not need a lot of gain. They are both condenser mics (I think) and should work very nicely with either device.

... so then the question is other issues:

- do you ever need to record directly to your computer? If so, MixPre-3 is the best choice.
- do you need an ultra compact rig where you can wear the device on your belt and hold the mic? If so, Sony D100 is the best choice.
- do you need great limiters in case there are unexpected loud sounds? In that case the MixPre-3 is the best choice
- and so on and on. Specific needs will dictate your choice.

In general a really good mic is always going to be better than the built-in mics. And if you already have the mics then I'd probably suggest the MixPre-3. I'm sorry I could not give a better answer for you, but I hope this helps a bit.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
They are both condenser mics (I think) and should work very nicely with either device.

Although you will need an additional device to provide phantom power to use either with the Sony.

In general a really good mic is always going to be better than the built-in mics.

Not to mention the flexibility you gain in placement options and the ability to choose different mics for different situations...

Offline adrjork

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #179 on: June 12, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
All your answers help me a lot, so thanks.
Anyway I haven't take a decision yet.
My fight is between D100 vs MixPre3+AT4053b (please, let me know if you consider too much off-topic: is so I'll open a new thread).

I have 4 questions about this comparison:

Let's see the specs:
- Sony D100 has a noise-floor of -127dBu (even if only at rec-level 5) and a S/N ratio of 100dB (that's impressive);
- MixPre3 has a noise-floor of -130dBu (great), but AT4053b has a S/N ratio of only 78dB (and it has its own self-noise of 16dB).

So here the first 2 questions:

1. When does the difference between S/N 100dB (D100) vs 78dB (AT) become crucial? (Is it a secondary detail, or it is really important in "little" sounds recordings?)

2. Considering that I'd use the MixPre3 with an AT4053b (not with a super-silent-schoeps! but a mic with its own 16dB noise-floor), so the question: is the difference between the two noise-floor levels (D100 vs MixPre3+AT4053b) so crucial for "tiny" sounds recording?

Going further, D100 is stereo, while AT is not, obviously. I'm interested into obtaining a stereo image only outdoor for field recordings. Remaining in the price range of the AT4053b, the only "cheap" options that fit a blimp are:
- M/S option: AT4053b + AKG CK94 (a figure-8 with a self-noise of 22dB ☹ and a S/N ratio of only 72);
- X/Y single mic option: BP4025 stereo mic (self-noise 14dB, S/N ratio 80dB);
or...
- again Sony D100.
On the sheet it seems that the BP4025 option beats the AT4053b+CK94, but again BP4025 has its own noise-floor that is added to the noise-floor of the MixPre3.

So here the last 2 questions:

3. Are you sure that the sum of BP4025+MixPre3 noise-floors beats the noise floor of the Sony D100?

4. If yes, is this a "day vs night" difference for field recording?

I know that many of my questions are silly for an expert, but your answers are fundamentals for me.
So thanks a lot.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com