Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I've been gone so long i'm a newb again, rebuilding my rig questions.  (Read 8057 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I've been gone so long i'm a newb again, rebuilding my rig questions.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »
The 788 has different preamps than the rest of the SD 7xx line, and anecdotally according to many who have used them they are superior.

Oh hey right on.  I wasn't aware of this.  Thanks for the correction Chris and sorry for any misinformation I provided.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »
I've seen the 4minx and it is NICE, but you might also want to consider if you had to have some work done on the recorder the 788 wouldn't have to leave the country!!  Also it is smaller than the 4minx, if size matters to you. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:44:16 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline drkstar10

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 06:37:55 PM »
Size does matter to me. I have pretty much decided on the 788t. I am hoping to get away with not having to get an outboard pre or a/d.  That would make the rig so small I would probably go with u89's instead of the 170's.  Even if I used an outboard pre the same voltage as the 788  and shared batteries the system would still be pretty manageable. I can use my v2>ad2k+ for some nature recording my wife wants me to do for her.

I am a bit gun shy about buying 2 unmatched u89's and hoping they are similar enough. At least the 170's come as matched pairs. I think the 170's don't have quite the "full" sound of a U89. At least they will be close enough for stereo recording.

Mark 
Mic's.    U89i, CM300 (Frankenaks),MK4, mk41, mk4v>kcy>PFA,
Pre's and A/D.    V2, rmod2k1, Aerco mp-2, ad2k+
Decks   788t-SSD, MixPre 6, m-10,

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
IMO, I don't think you can do much better than a pair of u89s, matched or not.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »
Size does matter to me. I have pretty much decided on the 788t. I am hoping to get away with not having to get an outboard pre or a/d.  That would make the rig so small I would probably go with u89's instead of the 170's.  Even if I used an outboard pre the same voltage as the 788  and shared batteries the system would still be pretty manageable. I can use my v2>ad2k+ for some nature recording my wife wants me to do for her.

I am a bit gun shy about buying 2 unmatched u89's and hoping they are similar enough. At least the 170's come as matched pairs. I think the 170's don't have quite the "full" sound of a U89. At least they will be close enough for stereo recording.

Mark

Smart move. FWIW I like the 788 pres as well as anything, love Sound Devices' build quality and always like buying American if I can.

Might as well go U89s. FWIW I do not love the sound of 170s (at least the stuff I hear from the venues I go to) and agree w/ tonedeaf that Schoeps are the best overall line, and much easier to handle than LD Neumanns... but U89s are absolutely incredible, no doubt about it.

Do get your 788T with SSD. Solid State HD all the way.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 12:51:59 PM »
OMG, I can't tell you how awesome it would be to have 15 grand free and clear to spend on gear.  :)  My advice is to relish the moment drkstar10.  If you're like the rest of us, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm sure you know this but nobody's pointed out that at this price point buying used can increase your bang for buck significantly in case something happens and a year or two down the road you're less than pleased and need to change gear or liquidate.  You don't absorb all of the depreciation buying used in that case.  The down side, of course, is no warranty and even matched mics may no longer be matched when purchased used.

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
OMG, I can't tell you how awesome it would be to have 15 grand free and clear to spend on gear.  :)  My advice is to relish the moment drkstar10.  If you're like the rest of us, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
I don't think there is one taper here that has not drooled at the thought of having an open 15k to spend on gear.!
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »

I'm sure you know this but nobody's pointed out that at this price point buying used can increase your bang for buck significantly in case something happens and a year or two down the road you're less than pleased and need to change gear or liquidate.  You don't absorb all of the depreciation buying used in that case.  The down side, of course, is no warranty and even matched mics may no longer be matched when purchased used.

If you had 15 grand to blow on gear I hate to think about the length of that sig.... :)

I agree about buying used, though if you're not price-sensitive (which it sounds like the OP isn't) I'd buy new for the warranty. The way most of us use gear -- unpredictable situations, outdoors, etc. -- stuff can get damaged.

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day talking myself out of buying a 788T... by reminding myself that I presently lack $6000, which helps...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
There is a 788T on ebay! Not the best price, but has a best offer so you might be able to work it down!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline drkstar10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
I made a best offer of $5500 on the new one and never heard back. A slightly used one popped up for $4800 so I grabbed it. Didn't have a scratch and is supposedly working fine. Time will tell whether that was a good move or not.

I spent last night till 4 am listening to my kind of music (Dead related, Keller, Martin Sexton, Franti, bluegrass, etc. with the 170's and the u89's. Definately going with the 89's. I am going to make some calls tomorrow and try to get a decent price on a pair.

I still need to replace some stuff I sold off (stand, batteries) and some stuff I just want to replace after over a decade laying around (cables etc. ).

I am relishing the chance to put together my dream setup. It took me a couple of years to go from my original rig AKG Blue Lines>Zefiro Inbox>D8 to a setup I really liked 184>v2>ad2k+>DA-P1. I am really psyched to be able to put together something sweet right from the start. Now I just need to find a show. Luckily (kind of) I live in NJ half way between Philly and NYC so something is always coming soon.

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 10:06:16 PM »
Congratulations on the super pimp rig! You have chosen wisely.
If you are in need of new cables I'd highly recommend either

Ted  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0
or
Robb http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110932.0

to make them for you. Whatever you need; XLR, S/PDIF, battery, whatever (Ted even sells stand umbrellas). Talk to one of them. They both do fantastic work at a great price.
For stands- do you want something nice and sturdy that can go pretty high or do you want something small for stealthng? Maybe both?
An air cushioned adjustable light stand is what I use for my bigger stand, Impact LS-13HAB. For FOB/stealth I use a Manfrotto 5001B.
Don't forget you will need shock mounts and thread adapters to go from stand to mics.
Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:10:52 PM by cobiwan »
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline drkstar10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »
Congratulations on the super pimp rig! You have chosen wisely.
If you are in need of new cables I'd highly recommend either

Ted  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0
or
Robb http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110932.0

to make them for you. Whatever you need; XLR, S/PDIF, battery, whatever (Ted even sells stand umbrellas). Talk to one of them. They both do fantastic work at a great price.
For stands- do you want something nice and sturdy that can go pretty high or do you want something small for stealthng? Maybe both?
An air cushioned adjustable light stand is what I use for my bigger stand, Impact LS-13HAB. For FOB/stealth I use a Manfrotto 5001B.

Don't forget you will need shock mounts and thread adapters to go from stand to mics.
Hope this helps!

Just ordered the U89's ($5500/pair). I'm already glad I went with them over the 170's.

Definitely going to hit up one of those guys for the cables. One of my mistakes last time was too long interconnects between the v2 and the ad2k+ and the ad2k+ and the dap1. the bag was a mess of wires.

I have a Manfrotto 3364 for a small stand. I am looking for something taller for outdoor shows.  I am also looking for quality wind protection for the mics. I'm hoping to find blimps for the u89's. I have really nice slip on wind screens from Litewave Systems but I cant find their website. I'm hoping Rycote has what I need.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »
ahhhh.................  yah mon...  congrats!!  8)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 01:52:39 PM »
If you have or can get windscreens for the u89s (http://mobile.adorama.com/NMWS89.html ) I'd recommend also getting a pair of Dead Muppets made for them. Tim does a nice job making them.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137563.0
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:04:00 PM by cobiwan »
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

stevetoney

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
I'm hoping Rycote has what I need.

Looks to me like the only thing Rycote has that fits the U89s is their mounts.

Neumann has a screen that cuts 27db which is pretty decent.

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_accessories&cid=db_current_accessories&dbid=77

I think I'd go with this and then for really windy outdoor taping, as Cobiwan suggested, have Tim make you a pair of furs to optionally slip over those screens...black would look professional, but he can make them in  some crazy hippy colors too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com