Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do I plug my XLR cables into my Mac?  (Read 4512 times)

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
How do I plug my XLR cables into my Mac?
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:31:22 PM »
A little tongue in cheek, but...

My Marantz 661 is heading in for some warranty service. That said, I have plans to record a few shows presumably before I get the 661 back. In lieu of the fact that I don't have an abundance of equipment (and no back up recorder) I'm considering the possibility of using my Macbook Pro to use as a recording device, as I've seen a few others do. Unfortunately, I have no idea how they are doing it. Is there a resource here on TS that might bring me up to speed on the ins and outs of this option? My search wasn't entirely successful.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Re: How do I plug my XLR cables into my Mac?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
What Coby said.  Obviously, if you're running a pair of mics, you'll need an external audio interface that has two XLR inputs and provides phantom power.  The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 can provide that.  You would record (within your Operating System) using DAW software.  Focusrite seems to include their own DAW software.

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA

An external audio interface, however, would require power of some sort.  You would likely need something like the RB-270 9V DVD battery (and cable) or the Naztech PB15000 battery (and cable) to provide power.  I am not sure on the power requirements of the Focusrite interface.

Do you have an external pre-amp?  I am guessing not, since the Marantz has XLR inputs.  It might be cheaper to pick up something like the Denecke PS-2 or an Edirol UA5 and a cheap recorder (from the Yard Sale).  I think there is a Tascam DR-2D in the Yard Sale right now.  There is a good chance someone has an extra Deneke PS-2 or UA5 sitting around.  You could always post a new ISO thread in the Yard Sale.

HTH, Chris.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
I used a Edirol UA-25 for a while and it is still sitting in the closet if I ever need it. I got some good shows with it.

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
It looks like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is powered via the usb from the Mac, if I'm reading correctly. I have an Anker for my 661 but not sure if its required. And I'm just running phantom to my mics (line audio CM-3's). Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a reasonable investment under the circumstances. For the record, I've been taping for <1 year.

Team Line Audio

df

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 12:22:26 AM »
Apogee Duet is one of your best choices.  You might be able to find one for $200 or less on eBay or craigslist.  If you use your Mac for playback it will also improve the overall playback quality.

edit) I was referring to the Apogee duet mk1 (silver model) that sounds just as good (just a little different than the newer black model) since they can bought used pretty cheap.  They are by far some of the best pre amps and ADDA converters for the price and sound better than Sound Devices 7 series preamps.  It can also be used as a headphone amp, or if you want to transfer vinyl or analog to digital... it's a good investment.  Laptops aren't always the best in the field though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:41:29 PM by df »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »
Apogee Duet is one of your best choices.... They are by far some of the best pre amps and ADDA converters for the price and sound better than Sound Devices 7 series preamps.

Not disagreeing necessarily, but on what basis are you making this claim? I've used a mini me, and am generally familiar with the Apogee house sound, etc, but based on the power supppy alone you might expect better measured performance on the SD gear.

With regard to the OP, buy the new Tascam portable 4 channel recorder, the dr-70d. $199. Leave the laptop at home and sell your referbished Marantz unit.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
That's the thing, I'm not looking for a long term option, but rather just a temporary fix. I really like the Marantz (when it's recording with both channels) and have no desire to record exclusively with my Mac. Honestly just looking for the least expensive option.

Team Line Audio

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
Cost-benefit ratio I guess.

It appears that all of the decent "low cost" options, audio interface or stand alone recorder, are going to run you @ $150-200 (although I note that M-Audio and Presonus both make a $100 2 channel unit - I have no idea about the quality).

If that is the case, although you are looking for a short term fix, you might as well get the solution with the most future benefits.  Unless you are expecting to do more recording with your lap top, a stand alone recorder that you would continue to use, even as a back up, may ultimately make the most sense.  A Tascam DR-40 which has XLRs runs about $146 these days, which would be a less expensive stand alone option than the DR-70, although DR-70 is probably a better unit.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

df

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »
Apogee Duet is one of your best choices.... They are by far some of the best pre amps and ADDA converters for the price and sound better than Sound Devices 7 series preamps.

Not disagreeing necessarily, but on what basis are you making this claim? I've used a mini me, and am generally familiar with the Apogee house sound, etc, but based on the power supppy alone you might expect better measured performance on the SD gear.

With regard to the OP, buy the new Tascam portable 4 channel recorder, the dr-70d. $199. Leave the laptop at home and sell your referbished Marantz unit.

I've owned both Duets, and recently I posted an A/B comparison of the same show/rig where I used the Duet 2 > MBP until the battery ran out (it wasn't full to begin with and it was 2.5 hour set) and quickly switched to the SD 722.  The Duet 2 sounds much better (I've since pulled the soundcloud files). Instead of spending the same money on something 'temporary' I would buy one of these used... it has many other every day uses.

The Tascam 70d is a good choice too, just b/c it's a ton of value for money.  But I'm not sure it operates as an interface if that's is what he is trying to do... if he's looking for a cheap portable recorder... +1 for this option.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:59:48 PM by df »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
The 70d is $252 at B&h including Sony sound forge pro 11.  Some members sold the software for $50 in the YS with there seeming to be more buyers than sellers.  It gives you 4 channels of xlr vs. 2 on the 2i2.  Portable, runs off 5v cell phone battery for hours.  Really no contest that the few extra dollars spent buys a much more convenient 4 channel recorder. 

Sound forge also includes some features from isotope.  Sort of shocked folks were selling it off for $50.  But you can get a 70d for a net $200.

df

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »
Butch, you should buy the 70d... good recorder, you'll be ready for 4 channel matrix recording, and I'm guessing you probably need some good audio editing software.  $250 is a great value.  Keep the Marantz for back up, or in situations if you are recording a SBD mix and AUD, but the AUD mic's aren't located near the SBD.  The 661 also has a digital input so if you ever purchase a preamp with digital output you'll be ready.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:45:23 PM by df »

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »
I like your advice, guys. Seems like money better spent with the 70d. I'm wondering why I didn't go that route less than a year ago when I broke into this hobby with the 661.

Team Line Audio

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:50:23 PM »
70d has only been on the market a very short time (at least that I've been aware of it)

< According to the DR70 thread - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170230.0 - looks like it was released in Nov 2014 after having been announced in October. >
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:59:16 PM by flipp »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com