Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

FR2LE LED noise

(1/3) > >>

heva:
Recently I tried my Fostex FR2LE with a pair of dynamic mics (beyer m101's). Using the firmware v1.30 option to add +12dB gain (and 'trim' and 'level' fully open) I've found that the LED from the 'REC STBY' causes interference in the signal, mostly in the Left channel. The LED flashes in continuous pulses while recording and this is found back (though quite soft) in the recording. Using XLR cables where pin1 IS connected to the casing causes the 'spikes' to be louder.
It seems to me not mic related, it also happens using an XLR with a 150ohm resistor on it.

Any other FR2LE users around to check this or any tech-savvy with an idea?

tonfunk:
Hi,

I experience the exact same issue on my FR2LE. Sorry for the late response, but I do not own the model very long and stumbled across this thread searching for others experiencing this issue.
Did you find any cure to the problem in the 'meantime' that you could share with me?

BR

H₂O:
How is the unit being powered? 

Sometimes ground loop issues will cause these types of symptoms.  I have seen the exact same behavior on a Korg MR-1 when I have my Pre-amp (EAA PSP-2) and the MR-1 running off the same battery or power source.  Never had this problem with the PSP-2 and Tascam DA-P1

This is probably because the Korg's ground isn't the same as the PSP-2 (meaning the Korg doesn't treat the - lead on the battery as Ground)

mjwin:
I've never noticed this problem with my FR2LE, but then I always use high output mics & never need to switch in the +12dB gain. But, in the interests of science, as they say, I've just given it a go.  With 150R resistors between  XLR pins 2-3, & the gain & level cranked up to max, I neither hear any periodic noise nor see any sign of it on the spectrum.  I simply get white noise at -65dBFS (Left), -66dB (Right).

When recording, the "REC STBY" LED flashes in unison with the CF card write cycle, so there's actually a lot happening inside the machine at this point.

How old is your FR2LE, btw?   My machine is quite old, about 11 or 12 years.  s/no 0960847TE, but I've had no probs.   If the noise had increased over time, I'd suggest that possibly the power supply filter capacitors had deteriorated. Other than that, it's hard to say. 

In my test above, the FR2LE (v.1.30) was running stand-alone with a 7.2V RC battery pack.  If you have power supply &/or USB  cables connected, it might exacerbate the problem. Bit annoying really, as the front end of this machine was really impressive for its time (& still is). It's the user interface, h/phone & main outs which let it down.

willndmb:
I never noticed anything with mine
Akg 480

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version