Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-10 levels......  (Read 10488 times)

Offline OhioHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
M-10 levels......
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:47:36 AM »
I know I have read w/ the M-10 not to run much past -12db's, I did this for the 1st set of SCI tonight.

I ran pushing -6db's for the 2nd set, recorder gain was approximately @ 2.5, have not listened to the show on my home stereo, car sounded good.......

3 other tapers @ the show, so if I have a "bad" 2nd set not worried because it was recorded.......

M-10 experts please weigh in, thanks!

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: M-10 levels......
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 01:18:32 AM »
-12 is a good baseline. A bit higher or lower won't kill the recording. If you search around here on TS you'll read about unity gain, where the recorder is neither amplifying nor attenuating the incoming signal (e.g. optimal setting on gain wheel). My 2¢ on this is that each deck varies a bit, and that it will be around 4-5. As long as the red 'over' lights aren't flashing on, you won't be saturating or brickwalling the recording. Too low can make noise problems when you normalize or amplify the recording later. You didn't mention if you're using a preamp or battery box to power your mics. Definitely don't use the built in plug in power (PIP) unless it's a really quiet show, the mics will be happier with more juice. Hope that helps.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:37:30 AM »
-12 is a good baseline. A bit higher or lower won't kill the recording. If you search around here on TS you'll read about unity gain, where the recorder is neither amplifying nor attenuating the incoming signal (e.g. optimal setting on gain wheel). My 2¢ on this is that each deck varies a bit, and that it will be around 4-5. As long as the red 'over' lights aren't flashing on, you won't be saturating or brickwalling the recording. Too low can make noise problems when you normalize or amplify the recording later. You didn't mention if you're using a preamp or battery box to power your mics. Definitely don't use the built in plug in power (PIP) unless it's a really quiet show, the mics will be happier with more juice. Hope that helps.

All of this is good advice, except "unity gain" doesn't exist for recorders like this - there is no way to bypass the input stage so it is always amplifying the incoming signal.  4-5 may be the optimal level when using an external preamp, but it's not unity gain.  With a battery box or mics straight in, you may need to set the input higher or lower as needed - I sometimes ran into MIC IN for extra gain (but with PIP OFF) and the input level as high as 7 or 8 for quiet acoustic recordings.  That was with Church mics and a battery box; with an external preamp, I tend to set the level in the 4-5 range so the higher-quality preamp is doing most of the amplifying work.

DSatz's explanation on "unity gain":
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152494.0

Here's DigiGal's method for finding that "optimal" input level setting with external pres:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165688.msg2069471#msg2069471
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:56:18 AM »
I wouldn't say "don't run past -12dB" so much as "peaking at -12dB is sufficient if you're recording at 24 bits."

And I agree from experience that there's no optimal gain setting. I typically run at around 8 with CA-14 cards (with battery box) going into Line In, but for quieter shows will often go Mic In at around 2 or 3. I haven't noticed any quality difference, it's just whatever gets you the right input level.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:18:54 AM »
I think the -12dB is more for convenience, and being able to "set it and forget it".

I am not aware that anyone has ever posted a comparison or analysis to demonstrate the existance of a sweet spot, or even a problem spot, in regard to m10 levels, or gain knob setting (whether set to reduce levels or increase levels).  Is there a point where a high average RMS causes a degradation of capture quality with the m10?  I am not aware of one, but it is a good question.  I believe most folks mentioning a -12 dB peak level are doing so to leave headroom for surprises in the source material.

With the r09, there was most definitely distortion when the trim/gain setting was at or below 8, especially when average RMS levels were high (like from heavy bass). It was as if the recorder was internally brickwalling. That aside, the r09 sounds great.

A blind comp comparing the m10 when run at -12 peaks vs. say -2 peaks would be interesting.  But only with the right source material.

I personally think that peaking at -12 is a bit low. But that is situation and source material dependent. If I am recording a very quiet source, I probably want more gain from my front-end preamp, and want the peaks higher. That will also increase the average RMS levels, which tend to be low with those sources. If I am in a situation where I cannot ever monitor or adjust levels, then that would be another reason to run the levels lower. For a loud PA source, that also has a higher average RMS, a lower peak is fine.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »

All of this is good advice, except "unity gain" doesn't exist for recorders like this - there is no way to bypass the input stage so it is always amplifying the incoming signal.  4-5 may be the optimal level when using an external preamp, but it's not unity gain.  With a battery box or mics straight in, you may need to set the input higher or lower as needed - I sometimes ran into MIC IN for extra gain (but with PIP OFF) and the input level as high as 7 or 8 for quiet acoustic recordings.  That was with Church mics and a battery box; with an external preamp, I tend to set the level in the 4-5 range so the higher-quality preamp is doing most of the amplifying work.

DSatz's explanation on "unity gain":
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152494.0

Here's DigiGal's method for finding that "optimal" input level setting with external pres:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165688.msg2069471#msg2069471
i don't understand all the tech stuff but I can tell you that in multi test my m10 set at 4 takes the exact same signal it is fed
Fr example if I send it a -10db white noise file, the levels show at -10
Every number up/down changed the levels by approx 2/2.5db
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
With the r09, there was most definitely distortion when the trim/gain setting was at or below 8, especially when average RMS levels were high (like from heavy bass). It was as if the recorder was internally brickwalling. That aside, the r09 sounds great.

There are "minimum safe gain" settings on the M10, too.  If you need to go below them to keep the levels from going over, you will get brickwalling.  guysonic estimated this level as 1 for the line input (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=130924.msg1722942#msg1722942) and DSatz estimated it at 1.5 - 2 for the mic input (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=154969.msg2014600#msg2014600).

Personally, I think -12 dB as a target is a bit too low, but whatever makes you comfortable and doesn't compromise the quality...   

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 02:29:13 PM »
i don't understand all the tech stuff but I can tell you that in multi test my m10 set at 4 takes the exact same signal it is fed
Fr example if I send it a -10db white noise file, the levels show at -10
Every number up/down changed the levels by approx 2/2.5db

That is useful info. 

As an aside on the line-in I usually am in the 3-5 range on the wheel using my Tinybox at mid-level switch, depending on how loud the show is.  The CMC-25's fed plug-in power by the Tinybox seem to run relatively a little hotter than the MK4V's fed phantom by the Tinybox.  I don't really see much of anything that's really loud.  I'm usually starting at 4 for pretty much everything. 

A really, really quiet show like classical I may have to push it up towards 7 or 8, which can be problematic since when the crowd applauds that will clip at that level but it is what it is (usually they're at least smart enough to wait until a piece is over). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »
I'd say -12db is too cautious on the M10. 

The green light on the Sony goes on at -12db, suggesting to me that it's Sony's suggested minimum, not max. The red light--uh-oh--goes on at 0. So if you can arrange for peaking at -6db I think you'd be fine.

Amplitude doubles every 6db. So if you're recording at -12 you're getting half the volume you would at -6. And if you're at -6 you're still well below the brickwalling  you get when it goes over 0db (which can be far less damaging if you have the PCM-M10 limiter on.)

My crude in-the-field method is to look at the lights and find where they're blinking green. That means I'm probably peaking somewhere between -12db and -6db, and that's probably cautious in itself.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »
I don't really understand the position that -12dB is "too cautious".  In my mind that's the minimum amount of acceptable headroom for a live concert where you don't know for certain what the loudest peaks will be.  There's no reason I can think of to set it any higher unless you're able to be there ahead of time for a real sound check where the group your recording is giving you their absolute max volume to set levels from.

When I have that kind of ability to prep, I still set that max peak at -12dB.  They might get excited and play louder in front of an audience, so better safe than sorry.

It's not like we're recording to tape here.  Set the M10 to 24 bit and your nose floor will be plenty low enough, even if you only have around 20 real bits of resolution in reality. I have done this with quiet choral music that's only hitting -24 or so average during recording, and have been completely fine.  You can always amplify a in post, and that's way better than trying to repair clipping or hitting the limiter.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 07:35:56 AM »
Why you would deliberately throw away so much dynamic range?

Why -12, anyway?  That number seems completely arbitrary; in any event, it is a huge safety margin for the musicians maybe getting a bit excited...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 08:04:08 AM »
I'm not throwing away that dynamic range, because the dynamic range of the recorder is so much greater than that the music I'm recording.  And I do acoustic / classical only, so I'd wager it's a greater dynamic range than most people here doing amplified concerts.  I actually measure this with a dynamic range tool, and the range is typically no more than 20dB for what I'm doing.  24 bit has a theoretical max of 144dB range, but a consumer device like the M10 may only really have 100-120dB.  That 12dB is well within what was going to be lost in the noisefloor anyway.  There are others here that can explain this far better.  (Paging DSatz, Jon S)

-12 may be arbitrary, yes.  I sometimes have used -16.  I had those figures passed on to me from other knowledgeable people either here or another forum, I can't remember which.

This practice just saved a recording for me last night (though using my 70D; not the M10).  I was recording part of a marching band competition, and set levels with a previous band so my peaks were -12.  In the next band, I was mostly there, but had several peaks up to -2.  This has happened more times than I can count, where if I had set my levels any higher I'd have clipping.

I definitely think there is a minimum level you need to be at as you linked earlier, but I still am not convinced why it's a good idea to be setting the level higher.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »
I'm not throwing away that dynamic range, because the dynamic range of the recorder is so much greater than that the music I'm recording.  And I do acoustic / classical only, so I'd wager it's a greater dynamic range than most people here doing amplified concerts.  I actually measure this with a dynamic range tool, and the range is typically no more than 20dB for what I'm doing.  24 bit has a theoretical max of 144dB range, but a consumer device like the M10 may only really have 100-120dB.  That 12dB is well within what was going to be lost in the noisefloor anyway.  There are others here that can explain this far better.  (Paging DSatz, Jon S)

-12 may be arbitrary, yes.  I sometimes have used -16.  I had those figures passed on to me from other knowledgeable people either here or another forum, I can't remember which.

This practice just saved a recording for me last night (though using my 70D; not the M10).  I was recording part of a marching band competition, and set levels with a previous band so my peaks were -12.  In the next band, I was mostly there, but had several peaks up to -2.  This has happened more times than I can count, where if I had set my levels any higher I'd have clipping.

I definitely think there is a minimum level you need to be at as you linked earlier, but I still am not convinced why it's a good idea to be setting the level higher.

No need to page DSatz...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174559.msg2159391#msg2159391

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167352.msg2098605#msg2098605

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170302.msg2114088#msg2114088

I have recorded a lot of jazz with plenty more than 20 dB of dynamic range, incidentally...

Offline willndmb

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
I don't know where the -12 came from but I can tell you that I have been at a number of shows and seen peaks or even bursts of time where it averaged -12/10 and went up to -3/0
If I "know" that's it's not going to peak higher I def run hotter though, -6
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline voltronic

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 09:33:52 AM »

No need to page DSatz...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174559.msg2159391#msg2159391

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167352.msg2098605#msg2098605

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170302.msg2114088#msg2114088

I have recorded a lot of jazz with plenty more than 20 dB of dynamic range, incidentally...

I think those posts you linked support both our positions, actually.  DSatz makes the position that -12 or whatever is useless when there is no risk of going higher.  That makes sense, but in my experience there usually is a risk of going higher, and it has happened to me many, many times like the example from last night I mentioned above.  When I set levels, I don't know for sure if the levels are going to peak higher, and in practice they often do.  I suppose if I really know for sure what the highest level will be then I can safely go higher, but I very rarely have the opportunity for that kind of controlled sound check, and I've been burned too many times.

EDIT: Also, if you read through the entire threads you linked, there seems to be quite a bit of support for recording with a bit more headroom because of the unpredictability of live music recording.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:42:15 AM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »
I think those posts you linked support both our positions, actually.  DSatz makes the position that -12 or whatever is useless when there is no risk of going higher.  That makes sense, but in my experience there usually is a risk of going higher, and it has happened to me many, many times like the example from last night I mentioned above.  When I set levels, I don't know for sure if the levels are going to peak higher, and in practice they often do.  I suppose if I really know for sure what the highest level will be then I can safely go higher, but I very rarely have the opportunity for that kind of controlled sound check, and I've been burned too many times.

EDIT: Also, if you read through the entire threads you linked, there seems to be quite a bit of support for recording with a bit more headroom because of the unpredictability of live music recording.

My "position", as clearly stated in my first post in this thread, is, "Personally, I think -12 dB as a target is a bit too low, but whatever makes you comfortable and doesn't compromise the quality..."  Not a particularly bold statement, I think, and one shared by several other posters.  If you want to target -12, go for it.  Personally, I think there is no need to leave headroom in the expectation that sound pressure levels will quadruple.  And, again personally, I think that my recordings sound better when I run them hotter.  Maybe that has something to do with the gain from my pre compared to my software, or low-level signals, or maybe it's all in my imagination.  No matter, really, if I prefer it, then that's how I will do it...

If you read DSatz's posts as supporting a -12 dB target, I suggest you re-read this one.

As a long-time audio professional I'm appalled at the number of people on this forum who advocate peak recorded levels of -12 dB or even lower. Peaks on digital recordings should go as high as possible without quite reaching 0 dB. If you're not sure you can judge the maximum sound levels that will occur, you might choose to aim initially for peaks at (say) -6 dB on the theory that louder moments might occur after that. But if so, the point is still to get peak levels of at least -6 dB and hopefully somewhat higher.

Or if you have a recorder whose meters aren't peak-responding (examples: the old Sony portable DAT recorders TCD-D7 and -D8), then sure, compensate by aiming for lower maximum levels (about -4 or -5 dB for those Sony models)--but again the point is that if you get -4 or -5 dB maximum levels on those crummy meters, without triggering the "PEAK" indicators, you very likely were recording peaks of about -1 dB in reality, which is damn near perfect.

Even in cases of great uncertainty, if your only way of being sure not to hit 0 dB is to aim for -12 instead, then let's please not deceive ourselves or one another; that's a tactic, and the real hope is still to get the highest possible maximum levels below 0 dB as the result of that tactic.

A recording that actually peaks at -12 dB isn't better than one that peaks at, say, -3 or -2 dB. There's no virtue or advantage in maintaining substantial headroom and never using it. Then it's not headroom any more, but wasted dynamic range. Headroom is useful only if it's a potentially available part of the dynamic range, i.e. if there's at least some chance of using some of it sometimes.

--best regards

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »
I'm going to take some shit for this, but I always run pretty hot, I aim for consistent -6 and don't mind banging -2 and an occasional peak soft zero. I feel that what you don't capture live is left behind, and artificially boosting levels doesn't restore that dynamic range. Yes it takes some vigilance but it's worth it IMO.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »

My "position", as clearly stated in my first post in this thread, is, "Personally, I think -12 dB as a target is a bit too low, but whatever makes you comfortable and doesn't compromise the quality..."  Not a particularly bold statement, I think, and one shared by several other posters.  If you want to target -12, go for it.  Personally, I think there is no need to leave headroom in the expectation that sound pressure levels will quadruple.  And, again personally, I think that my recordings sound better when I run them hotter.  Maybe that has something to do with the gain from my pre compared to my software, or low-level signals, or maybe it's all in my imagination.  No matter, really, if I prefer it, then that's how I will do it...

If you read DSatz's posts as supporting a -12 dB target, I suggest you re-read this one.

As a long-time audio professional I'm appalled at the number of people on this forum who advocate peak recorded levels of -12 dB or even lower. Peaks on digital recordings should go as high as possible without quite reaching 0 dB. If you're not sure you can judge the maximum sound levels that will occur, you might choose to aim initially for peaks at (say) -6 dB on the theory that louder moments might occur after that. But if so, the point is still to get peak levels of at least -6 dB and hopefully somewhat higher.

Or if you have a recorder whose meters aren't peak-responding (examples: the old Sony portable DAT recorders TCD-D7 and -D8), then sure, compensate by aiming for lower maximum levels (about -4 or -5 dB for those Sony models)--but again the point is that if you get -4 or -5 dB maximum levels on those crummy meters, without triggering the "PEAK" indicators, you very likely were recording peaks of about -1 dB in reality, which is damn near perfect.

Even in cases of great uncertainty, if your only way of being sure not to hit 0 dB is to aim for -12 instead, then let's please not deceive ourselves or one another; that's a tactic, and the real hope is still to get the highest possible maximum levels below 0 dB as the result of that tactic.

A recording that actually peaks at -12 dB isn't better than one that peaks at, say, -3 or -2 dB. There's no virtue or advantage in maintaining substantial headroom and never using it. Then it's not headroom any more, but wasted dynamic range. Headroom is useful only if it's a potentially available part of the dynamic range, i.e. if there's at least some chance of using some of it sometimes.

--best regards

I was speaking more about the threads overall where those posts come from, but yes, I definitely read the one you're quoting here.  See highlighted portion.  That's exactly my strategy, and it has worked out well for me, ensuring I'm not getting any clipping.

Again I go back to the recording I made last night: If I had set my level higher, I would have been at or near clipping in some places.  Setting the level a safe bit lower is the only thing that prevented that from happening, period.  It doesn't matter if you think that -12 level is arbitrary or too "safe"; it's quite simply what works for the situations I'm recording in.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 12:15:48 PM »
^ You're tilting at windmills.  I could care less at what levels people choose to record, and said as much.  Twice.

For the vast majority of taping situations, however, there will not be the sudden quadrupling of levels implied by needing 12 dB headroom.  If you encounter them, then, by all means, aim for -12 dB.  To each his own.

Offline dabbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
Keep in mind the M10 does not even have 16 bits of dynamic range (96dB).  From reading other posts and specs here (sorry, didn't bookmark), using 24-bits on the M10 does increase dynamic range over the 16-bit mode, but the dynamic range of the unit still remains below 90dB.
As far as I know, the D-100 is the only handheld recorder that has over 16-bits of dynamic range at 100dB.

I try to run closer to -6dBFS, but it won't help if you're recording most amplified music.
Running hotter has benefits when I'm close enough to pick up stuff that isn't mic-ed for the PA: chatter between members, foot tapping, etc.  It also helps when playing directly off the M10 on the ride home without extra amplification; or if I have to record an acoustic show immediately after an electric set...

Here's an anecdote from a less-experienced version of me:

I once recorded a band play an electric set from the front row at -9 dBFS (not bad); but that same night (at 1am) they played an acoustic show at a record store where I peaked at -28.9 dBFS (from crowd noise) with the same settings :facepalm:  Obviously I should've cranked the levels before the acoustic set, but I was tired and also in super-excited fanboy mode; so not exactly thinking about levels at the time :x

If I had been able to dial in to -3dBFS for the electric set, I would have an acoustic set 22.9 dBFS which would be significantly less noisy than my 28.9 dBFS recording while I, the taper, could still remain in tired-super-excited-forgot-to-change-levels-fanboy-mode :D

Fwiw, normally when I listen to music, I probably wouldn't be able to tell beyond 12-bits of dynamic range (72dB) from 16 bits (96dB) because I don't listen super-loudly, and my listening environment has a 20-30dB background noise.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 12:06:02 AM »
I'm going to take some shit for this, but I always run pretty hot, I aim for consistent -6 and don't mind banging -2 and an occasional peak soft zero. I feel that what you don't capture live is left behind, and artificially boosting levels doesn't restore that dynamic range. Yes it takes some vigilance but it's worth it IMO.

I do the same. Recordings that hover around -12 for the peaks for me doesn't cut it.  Volume is too low and I feel like I miss the "punchy-ness" of the drums and bass when recording that low. YMMV
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »

If you want to target -12, go for it.  Personally, I think there is no need to leave headroom in the expectation that sound pressure levels will quadruple

I think there is some fallacy in the math but I haven't studied this enough.  I've got piles of evidence that sets recorded at a peak of mostly -12 or lower can still have multiple points that approach or hit 0 db.

I think it all depends on what and where you record. 

A loud amplified band from mid to back of a large room will be a fairly even wash and the peak level read will be pretty consistent.  Unamplified music is far more diverse.  Recording close adds another highly variable dynamic.  The mics are also a factor... 

All that said I usually try to record at levels as high as I can without hitting 0.  I can live with an occasional transient redlining as that's not really perceptible, especially with a little Izotope clip repair if it actually clipped.  I'd rather save myself the effort but have found I'm more willing to spend an extra few minutes of that editing than to record at what I consider excessively low levels (also as an editing tactic it makes sense and a better listen to duck those couple of major transients to achieve a higher overall output than to set final levels to preserve those couple of spikes).  Often it's applause or a drum shot that drives the level.  I don't like to set the levels to not clip the applause then have all the musical content 10dB lower than it needs to be (assuming the crowd doesn't loudly applaud during the songs). 

Consistent brickwalling is of course a major problem to be studiously avoided. 

On the M-10 I'm usually occasionally (but not regularly) blinking the green light but still often have transient peaks that may blink the red.  OTOH I've recorded some rock shows even up close where I've had the green light essentially continuously lit but never a red.  If the band plays loud nearly all the way it is very easy to narrow the margin. 

I'm not a fan of hovering over the meters or continually adjusting during the performance.  That does impact the accuracy of the document and the real dynamic range.  I'm willing to smooth obvious things out in post but don't necessarily think smoothing it all out on the fly is the best approach.  It is detrimental to my personal experience of the show and can be distracting to the crowd, crew and especially the band if you're near or on stage (so a big no-no there). 

^ My goal. 

It's an art, not a science.  If we could reliably predict the outcome we wouldn't need to discuss the strategies. 

The amount of safety margin will vary a lot based on factors above, and others.  I think the best course is not to continually overestimate the required margin, but others may feel more conservative. 

In practice I've found the noise floor that matters is the mics.  You'll have more noise from the mics and ambient atmosphere at the show than you'll ever introduce from a decent recorder/pre-amp (as long as they're not driven beyond their capacity).  The inherent noise in really quiet material is from the room and the mics.  Recorded at -2 or -20 really quiet material will still be a little noisy when the editing is done.  Loud music will never be noisy unless subpar equipment is involved. 

As to setting levels during soundcheck that is never an accurate gauge.  I learned quickly on the R-44 that whatever I thought a safe margin from a soundcheck needed to be reduced one full clickstop (and often two) for a performance with audience (so 6 to 12 db lower as it measures). 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:59:51 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
I think there is some fallacy in the math but I haven't studied this enough. 

Well, I would never underestimate my ability to make a math error, but this one is pretty simple.  A doubling in sound pressure level (or voltage coming out of your mic, if you prefer) is a 6 dB increase.  Two doublings is a quadrupling...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 05:38:06 PM »

If you want to target -12, go for it.  Personally, I think there is no need to leave headroom in the expectation that sound pressure levels will quadruple

I think there is some fallacy in the math but I haven't studied this enough.  I've got piles of evidence that sets recorded at a peak of mostly -12 or lower can still have multiple points that approach or hit 0 db.

The math is correct and I'd agree with you for average SPL, but you need to consider that the transient peaks could easily quadruple your SPLs, even if only momentarily. 

I think it all depends on what and where you record. 

A loud amplified band from mid to back of a large room will be a fairly even wash and the peak level read will be pretty consistent.  Unamplified music is far more diverse.  Recording close adds another highly variable dynamic.  The mics are also a factor... 

Exactly.  Here's a link to the marching band samples I mentioned earlier - all clips have about a 15dB dynamic range.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=169429.msg2164348#msg2164348
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 05:44:37 PM »
The math is correct and I'd agree with you for average SPL, but you need to consider that the transient peaks could easily quadruple your SPLs, even if only momentarily. 

Not really.  If you are setting it so peak levels are -12 dB, which are, well, the peaks, it is unlikely that you exceed those peaks by a factor of four.  You don't set your gain for average SPL...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »

Not really.  If you are setting it so peak levels are -12 dB, which are, well, the peaks, it is unlikely that you exceed those peaks by a factor of four.  You don't set your gain for average SPL...

The problem is that average SPL is really hard to judge for acoustic music with a very wide dynamic range unless you're working under relatively controlled circumstances, unlike the concert taper.  My experience has been that when I set peak levels to -12, I can often get peaks later on that are -6 or higher.  Frequently this is with forceful bass drum hits that just weren't happening when I was able to set levels.  Am I doing a poor job setting levels?  I don't think I am - it's just that I sometimes need to set levels with one group, and then use that setting for who I'm really there to record.  Being conservative with my levels makes sure I never have clipping.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 07:07:23 PM »
The problem is that average SPL is really hard to judge for acoustic music with a very wide dynamic range unless you're working under relatively controlled circumstances, unlike the concert taper.  My experience has been that when I set peak levels to -12, I can often get peaks later on that are -6 or higher.  Frequently this is with forceful bass drum hits that just weren't happening when I was able to set levels.  Am I doing a poor job setting levels?  I don't think I am - it's just that I sometimes need to set levels with one group, and then use that setting for who I'm really there to record.  Being conservative with my levels makes sure I never have clipping.

I feel like a broken record, but use whatever margin makes you happy... 

For reference, though, I record a lot of music with very wide dynamic range.  From a wooden stick tip rubbed over a damped cymbal, or an Ethan Iverson pianissimo solo, to DAVE FREAKIN' KING.  I very rarely need 12 dB (or even 6 dB) of headroom because I am familiar with the music/performers/venues.  Additionally, for a super fast impulse or two, clipping is easily reparable with no audible impact.

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »

For reference, though, I record a lot of music with very wide dynamic range.  From a wooden stick tip rubbed over a damped cymbal, or an Ethan Iverson pianissimo solo, to DAVE FREAKIN' KING.  I very rarely need 12 dB (or even 6 dB) of headroom because I am familiar with the music/performers/venues.  Additionally, for a super fast impulse or two, clipping is easily reparable with no audible impact.

I think the last exchange summarizes the two most feasible approaches:

1) Attempt to never have a clipped transient OR
2) Attempt not to clip but also not worry about risking an occasional repairable clipped transient

I too land in camp 2. 

The rest is where music/performers/venues/experience comes in... 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline voltronic

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 07:28:12 PM »

2) Attempt not to clip but also not worry about risking an occasional repairable clipped transient

I too land in camp 2. 

Yeah, I guess it just depends on what your preferences are.  I fully admit that my approach means I'm probably spending more time in post adjusting levels with de-clicking and/or limiting to knock down applause or audience noises and then amplifying, but I'd rather do that then repair clips.  To each his own, I suppose.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 03:59:32 AM »

I too land in camp 2. 

Yes, option two.  Personally, I don't worry about applause, which is often much louder than the music at shows I see, at all.  If it goes over, so be it.  It's more important to have good levels on the music.  Once I remove applause from the equation, it's pretty easy to avoid having any of the music go over.  Maybe a banging rimshot every once in a while, but that doesn't concern me much either...

As for workload in post, it's six of one, half dozen of the other.  As I mentioned, though, I think a recording made at proper levels sounds better than one amplified considerably in the DAW.  Could be that I prefer the gain from my pre, or that low-level detail is better preserved, or maybe it's just in my head. It really doesn't matter; since I perceive a difference, I will continue to set my gain accordingly.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 03:14:01 PM »
Rock & roll?

SPANK THOSE LIMITERS on peaks. Just don't light up the red lights for sustain tones, and we'll be fine.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.208 seconds with 55 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com