Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some recorder advice  (Read 7294 times)

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
Need some recorder advice
« on: October 27, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »
Mods:  I did not put this in the Yard Sale section because I don't know what I am "In Search Of".

I am looking for a recorder (SD or Compact Flash) that has RCA inputs and can record up to 24-Bit/96kHz WAV.  It doesn't have to be portable (handheld).   Any advice?

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Re: Need some recorder advice
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »
This guy's a bit dated, but has RCA in and records up to 24-bit/192kHz using Compact Flash.

I like these Tascam decks.  I think the Oade Brothers used to offer a mod for this deck.

#  Tascam HD-P2 Portable Stereo CF Recorder
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404262-REG/Tascam_HD_P2_HD_P2_Portable_Stereo_CF.html

HTH, Chris.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:18:20 PM »
I'm curious why you are set on it having RCA inputs, as that is definitely limiting your options.  If you'd be willing to just use different cables, there are options all over the place where you can record analog line in to 1/8" stereo or 1/4"/XLR combo jacks.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

backwhereubelong

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
That's NICE !  I'm looking at one on eBay now.  Thanks for pointing me in a great direction.

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »
If interested, here's the link to the Oade Brothers mods for that deck (and others).

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/upgrades.html
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

backwhereubelong

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
I'm curious why you are set on it having RCA inputs, as that is definitely limiting your options.  If you'd be willing to just use different cables, there are options all over the place where you can record analog line in to 1/8" stereo or 1/4"/XLR combo jacks.

I need RCA inputs because I am wanting to transfer some cassettes in hi-resolution audio and I'm not too wild about going from RCA to 1/8" or 1/4" as I was told that they are "noisy" (I could have been given the wrong info) compared to RCA.  Or should I go RCA out (Tape Deck) to a recorder via XLR?  Which would give me the best results?  Any help would be appreciated.

My tape deck is pictured below ...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:26:57 PM by backwhereubelong »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »

I need RCA inputs because I am wanting to transfer some cassettes in hi-resolution audio and I'm not too wild about going from RCA to 1/8" or 1/4" as I was told that they are "noisy" (I could have been given the wrong info) compared to RCA.  Or should I go RCA out (Tape Deck) to a recorder via XLR?  Which would give me the best results?  Any help would be appreciated.

The cable experts here might have some more insight, but I don't see how any of those options would matter - they all sound the same to me as long as you are using a quality cable.  I run into the 1/8" line input of my M10 all the time as do many others with no issues whatsoever, and at work I use 1/8" > dual 1/4" frequently with no issues.  There are some who may tell you that having multiple channels in the same cable assembly could increase your chances for crosstalk, etc. and that separate runs are going to be superior.  I haven't had any problems with this, as long as the run isn't very long.

Nice old Pioneer deck, btw.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

backwhereubelong

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »

[/quote]
Nice old Pioneer deck, btw.
[/quote]

I love the Pioneer CT-F950.  These old Pioneers are hard to beat.  I know there is a whole community of Nakamichi lovers, which I like as well, but these Pioneers are my choice.
Thanks for your advice.

Offline Lostbrook

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 06:32:23 PM »
I had that exact deck (late 70's/early 80's?).  Now I remember why I loved it.  No idea what I did with it unfortunately. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 07:46:42 PM »
PC interface would do that less expensively.  If 16 bit 48k is enough, even the behringer uca202 would work for 30 dollars. 

backwhereubelong

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 11:53:53 PM »
Good idea as I had one of those but the USB is mono ... everytime I used it the results were double mono (not true stereo).  I think this was brought up on another noticeboard.

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 07:56:22 AM »
Good idea as I had one of those but the USB is mono ... everytime I used it the results were double mono (not true stereo).  I think this was brought up on another noticeboard.

USB is a digital interface, so it's neither mono or stereo.  If what you used before wouldn't give you stereo, it was probably something other than the USB...most likely a software limitation.  Double mono isn't unusual...as long as it's two different mono channels (left and right) and your software can pan each channel; one all the way to the left and the other all the way to the right.  I use Audition and it's a piece of cake.  If you don't have any audio software for capturing and working with your digitized audio files (commonly called Digital Audio Worstation or DAW) or if whatever is packaged with the interface you get isn't sufficient, I'm pretty sure the freeware Audacity can do what you need.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »
The Focusrite 2i2 meets your 24bit/96k spec.  $149 retail.  I think it comes with some DAW software, but I'd just use Audacity if all you're doing is digitizing your cassette recordings. 

I've owned a 2i2 for several years.  Works fine. 

You could get a DR60d for the same or less money.

Neither has RCA inputs.  All you need is to buy or solder up some cables with RCAs on one end for the cassette player and 1/4 plugs on the other end for the 60d or Focusrite.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:07:03 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 01:48:02 PM »
i run a marantz pmd671 that has rca inputs. they are old enough they have came down in price. fairly affordable on ebay. rock solid units

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
All you need is to buy or solder up some cables with RCAs on one end for the cassette player and 1/4 plugs on the other end for the 60d or Focusrite.

Or get adapters instead of a specialized cable.  A quick search found these, which will work with a regular RCA cable > http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-GPR101-Inch-Adaptor/dp/B000068O3S < but there are many others available.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com