Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Replacement for my Edirol R09 hr?  (Read 4469 times)

Offline smat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Replacement for my Edirol R09 hr?
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »
I have had this for years.....maybe 5?  It's been a bit flaky for a while.  Line in stopped working a while back so I"ve been going mic in.  If the batteries die it wont save the file.  The other day I was getting no levels and then I unplugged the mics and plugged them back in and got levels.  Then after about an hour of recording it just magically stopped and didnt save the file. 
I think I'm calling this officially fooked.

So now....several years later there is WAY more choices ....
I record my band every week and sometimes tape shows.  I use CA 14's.  I'd like to stay at the 200$ range. 
I know this is a big question and everyone has their preferences, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway ;)

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Replacement for my Edirol R09 hr?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:40:31 AM »
I have had this for years.....maybe 5?  It's been a bit flaky for a while.  Line in stopped working a while back so I"ve been going mic in.  If the batteries die it wont save the file.  The other day I was getting no levels and then I unplugged the mics and plugged them back in and got levels.  Then after about an hour of recording it just magically stopped and didnt save the file. 

I record my band every week and sometimes tape shows.  I use CA 14's.  I'd like to stay at the 200$ range. 
I know this is a big question and everyone has their preferences, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway ;)

I stepped "up" from the R09HR(which is a very solid recorder) to the Sony M10(very good preamps for mic and line in)...for me the best thing is that I can lock it and still be able to adjust the levels....

Just my 0.02 $...but what do I know?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »

I stepped "up" from the R09HR(which is a very solid recorder) to the Sony M10(very good preamps for mic and line in)...for me the best thing is that I can lock it and still be able to adjust the levels....

Just my 0.02 $...but what do I know?
end of thread  ;)

seriously
if you want the best in the price range then m10 is it
you can get cheaper like some tascams that will give you good results but the m10 is top of the line
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »
I like the Roland R05 over the Sony. They are both excellent, but the Sony has more quirks as the micro SD card needs to be seated  just right. The Roland takes a full size SD card and just seems more robust and solid to me.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:07:41 PM »
I like the Roland R05 over the Sony.

Also my preference, and since you're familiar with the operation of the R-09HR, the R-05 will be very similar in use.  The M-10 vs. R-05 debate has raged for years and it comes down to personal preference.  Neither is perfect but they both do their job well.  You can't really go wrong with either one. 

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:27 PM »
I like the Roland R05 over the Sony. They are both excellent, but the Sony has more quirks as the micro SD card needs to be seated  just right. The Roland takes a full size SD card and just seems more robust and solid to me.

I normaly use the internal 4 GB memory of the M10...if I ever will get busted using the M 10...I will hand over the memory card and leave the venue with the recording on the M 10...

$0.02

Offline dabbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
Just to cover your bases, did you try different batteries and card?  Perhaps there's an internal clock/settings battery wearing out, too.
Jacks wear out, and the original R-09 had a weak one; maybe the HR does as well; but they can be fixed.

My original R-09 is still holding together with the silicone holding the jack in place: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164511.0

I mainly use the M10 nowadays, but still use my (non-HR) R-09 occasionally when I want another source for open taping.
I've considered the R-05, too, but the pre-record buffer is only 2s compared to the 5s on the M10.  I haven't used the R-05 myself, but I can say the M10 is easier to operate entirely by touch (keeping it in pocket for 007 situations) than the R-09 because the Hold switch is bigger.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 02:14:13 AM »
had an r09hr for years.

got an M10 and never looked back. one of the best pieces of gear ive ever owned, does everything i want, is reliable, sounds great, batteries last FOREVER. if it had a digi in it would be the perfect deck for all applications
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com