Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Iso a recorder for a 3 mic set up  (Read 2184 times)

Offline cherise64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Iso a recorder for a 3 mic set up
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
Looking for some help ... I want to use a 3 mic set up and searching ideas for a recording unit.. 2 nak cm300 shotgun caps and a single cm300 or vice versa just depends on the venue and obviously just 2 single cm300 in small venues. Open to ideas .. haven't taped since 2000... old time dead taper ... thank you

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Iso a recorder for a 3 mic set up
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
I don't know if you are using XLR cables with those mics.  So keep that in mind.

The Tascam DR70d has four individual XLR inputs with individual gain control over each XLR input.  It has sold from a low of $179 to $249 or so over the past year.  Just be sure to use one of the SDHC or SDXC cards from Tascam's approved list because users have reported recording glitches using nonapproved cards.   

The Tascam DR60dmkii has two individually adjustable XLR inputs and a 1/8 stereo input (ganged gain control).  I don't think it is as picky about cards, and it is less expensive.  If you can live with the 1/8 stereo input, the fact that it is a single gang control can be helpful.  Some people don't like the block of butter size and shape of the case. 

I recommend using a 5v external cell phone battery to power either unit with internal AA's as backup. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Iso a recorder for a 3 mic set up
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
Numerous 4 channel recorder options around these days.  Choice partly depends on how many channels of P48 you want supplied by the recorder itself (ala a single all-in-one box), or if you plan to use an outboard preamp/phantom source.

As for 3 mic configs- Yeah do it! Three mic configs are powerful tools, generally unappreciated.  I suggest turning the old school AUD Dead gun technique inside out with a single forward facing shotgun placed in the center between two omnis or cards spaced about twice as far apart as you'd do for 2-channel stereo.  If you can't double the spacing (or more), are in a good location and the room is decent, rotate the cards 180 degrees apart to face fully to either side, which maximizes their the level differences to help compensate for reduced timing differences due to a less than optimal spacing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com