Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)  (Read 107182 times)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
This means that you need to use a USB-C to USB-C cable and a battery that has a USB-C output port offering 1.5A+ (even here some USB-C to USB-C cables, like the one that comes with the Ancor USB-C batteries, have been reported as troublesome, so you may want to avoid them although its not clear what the specific issue is)

hmm, interesting. I ended up ordering the Anker 26800+ PD version, which comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable. i just figured since I was avoiding the whole USB-A amperage issue, I would be good. i hadn't considered that the included cable might not work. can you be more specific as to how the USB-C to USB-C cables included with Anker batteries have been reported as troublesome? I don't recall seeing that in this thread, though I might have just forgotten the specific post by now.

I've encountered a couple of comments indicating issues with the included USB-C to USB-C cable but there are several threads where people talk about mixpre-x's and batteries other than this one as well as the FB group and a quick search turns up nothing. I used the included cable a couple of times without issue...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
i tested how long my new Anker 26800+ PD would run the Mixpre-6. set it up with LED and LCD both set at 5, fully charged the battery, turned on the MixPre and just let it sit. no recording, no phantom, nothing. the MixPre was on for just around 20 hours before it shut off (20 hours 3 mins to be exact). presumably phantom powering 4 mics and recording multiple channels would result in reduced runtime, might do another test with a bunch of stuff going on to see how much it reduces it by. regardless, the Anker 26800 clearly provides way more runtime for the MixPre than any taper is reasonably going to need in one go, even if you're doing an all-day fest.

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2018, 04:30:08 AM »
Given people's experience with the orange light on the Mix Pre when powering over a USB A cable, I would have to assume that the 7.5W is a typo and it is indeed trying to draw more current than 2.4A. Alternatively, the batteries aren't providing more than 1.2A but that seems less likely
I tried an iPad charger. It can certainly deliver a lot of current, but if you connect a standard USB 2 device it will deliver the standard USB 2 current, no more. Otherwise it might cause problems with some devices.

iPads have some extra circuitry to "milk" those adapters. That same circuitry also allows them to demand extra current from Mac USB 2.0 ports.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good USB A > USB C cable? The one that comes with the MixPre-6 is pretty chunky. Would prefer something quality, durable about 1-foot-ish.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »
I can verify that this GP 10400mAh pack with USB-C for input and output works great with the mixpre-3.
https://www.reichelt.com/de/en/powerbank-li-ion-10400-mah-usb-c-gp-1c10aa-p217428.html
Notice that the USB-C model is named: 1C10AA <- Get this one

But the supplied USB-C cable is a tiny 15cm long (10 cm effective length) so it might be extremly efficient or totally worthless depending on your setup.
I'm running my from a spare 50cm Thunderbolt 3 cable which is a waste but it works great. :)

There's another model on the market which looks the same but without the USB-C which have a single A in the name 1C10A <-Don't buy that one.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
Most USB A> USB C cables will not provide proper power for the Mixpre-3/6.  A few people have found a couple that work, but SD doesn't recommend powering the device that way.  You should use a USB C > USB C cable.  This cable works

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Braided-Macbook-Nintendo-Aluminum/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1532380446&sr=8-7&keywords=usb%2Bc%2Bcable%2Bto%2Busb%2Bc%2Bright%2Bangle&th=1

Can anyone recommend a good USB A > USB C cable? The one that comes with the MixPre-6 is pretty chunky. Would prefer something quality, durable about 1-foot-ish.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:15:25 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
Most USB A> USB C cables will not provide proper power for the Mixpre-3/6.  A few people have found a couple that work, but SD doesn't recommend powering the device that way.  You should use a USB C > USB C cable.  This cable works

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Braided-Macbook-Nintendo-Aluminum/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1532380446&sr=8-7&keywords=usb%2Bc%2Bcable%2Bto%2Busb%2Bc%2Bright%2Bangle&th=1

Can I ask, if SD doesn't recommend powering the device that way, then why to they send you a USB A > USB C cable with it? That's pretty stupid.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2018, 09:54:53 AM »
The one they send is 2 USB A > USB C!  I was referring to a Single USB A > USB C. 

Can I ask, if SD doesn't recommend powering the device that way, then why to they send you a USB A > USB C cable with it? That's pretty stupid.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:56:42 AM by jbell »

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2018, 10:05:40 AM »
But what's the difference between a 2x USB A > USB C versus a 1x USB A > USB C if you're just powering the unit from a single battery with a USB A output? (I'm not trying to be dense, I really just don't understand!)

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
You have to use both of the USB A into a battery to get full power on the Mixpre-6.  Only using one will not power the deck properly and you won't get a green battery light.  Make sense??

But what's the difference between a 2x USB A > USB C versus a 1x USB A > USB C if you're just powering the unit from a single battery with a USB A output? (I'm not trying to be dense, I really just don't understand!)

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »
Gotcha! thanks.

I was using just one of the ends into a battery last week and was getting a green light, but now that I know I can plug in both to my battery that's cool.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
What battery??  I don't use the stock cable because it is so bulky, but my usb a batteries would only yield an orange light.

Gotcha! thanks.

I was using just one of the ends into a battery last week and was getting a green light, but now that I know I can plug in both to my battery that's cool.

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016BJCRUO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I only had 2 channels armed. Maybe that's why it showed up green?

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »
I don't think that matters!!  You might be able to buy a cheap USB a > USB c and get it to work without having to use the SD cable.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016BJCRUO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I only had 2 channels armed. Maybe that's why it showed up green?

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
SD must get a hundred emails a day about this topic as it sure creates a lot of confusion...

The USB 2 standard allowed for USB ports to output a maximum of .9 amps. For a long time, this was the maximum USB devices would expect or deliver. Some vendors - ie Apple - created  custom scenarios (like USB-A to lightning connector) that provided more than .9 amps and there were specialized variations  like USB Power Delivery for charges, but .9 amps was the standard. With the USB 3.x standards, the standard was raised up to 3Amps. The problem is that you don't want users to plug in old devices to newer batteries or power supplies and have them blow up/cause a fire, etc. So standards were developed for cables to prevent this. By the specifications, a USB-a (USB 2) to USB-C (USB 3) cable is supposed to have pull up resistors which limit the amperage to - you guessed it - .9 amps. The Mixpre-3/6 wants 1.5 amps (5 volts x 1.5 amps = 7.5 watts). This is why SD's power FAQ says:

NOTE: A USB-A power source used in conjunction with a USB-A to USB-C cable cannot deliver the required 7.5W for full power operation.

This is also why they include the y cable. A majority of people have computers with USB-A ports. People buying Mixpre's are going to want to connect them to computers as audio interfaces. Their solution - provide a y cable with two USB-A ends ( 2 x .9 amps = 1.8 amps).

A USB-A power source used in conjunction with a USB-A to USB-C cable cannot deliver the required 7.5W for full power operation. Some vendors on ebay and amazon, however, sell USB-A to USB-C cables that don't have the resistors in them. In this thread, some people have identified such cables. If your USB battery supports 1.5+ amps and you use one of these cables, you can get the full 7.5 watts. SD does not officially recognizer this option as it bypasses the standard (the fact that these vendors do this bothered a Google Engineer and he actually went through Amazon vendors at one point and certified whether they were following the standards). There is nothing wrong with using a non standard cable if you know what you are doing. Several people here do because they can use the USB-A batteries they had. Think about this from a vendors point of view, however, and you will realize it's not a good idea.  Some people also use the dual dual USB-A cable and simply plug both USB-A ends into their battery. Based on comments I've seen this is not a good idea at all.

Fully powered versus under=powered Mixpre. The Mixpre does have a low power mode and it can be run with less than 7.5 watts with limitations. The FAQ U linked below explains the limitations. Your battery icon will show a orange meter not a green meter.

ps. Can we get a picture of a talentcell running a Mixpre via the dual USB-a cable , with only one USB-A end connected, showing s full green battery indicator? That makes no sense.

Sound Devices Power FAQ:

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/mixpre-3-mixpre-6-powering-options

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:14:43 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com