Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3  (Read 109264 times)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. With kcy nbobs I can run PFAs into the mic inputs. But if I want to avoid that bulk and power the Schoeps by IPA or Nbox, I run the risk of clipping the 1/8 line input due to the low max input. So I'd need to get a 1/8 to dual xlr or xlr to dual xlr cable?
For stealth, if it were me, I would run KCY NBobs > PFA > Sort right angle Stubby XLR interconnects > the deck. That way you are solidly locked in XLR all the way. And you don't have to mess with the IPA. I have some 6" right angle stubby XLR interconnects that Ted made that I love. Keeps the XLRs going into the deck flush and not sticking out for stealth situations. Little if any extra bulk this way since you are eliminating the IPA and potentially an in line attenuator if that 1/8 input is indeed prone to brickwalling.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
For stealth, if it were me, I would run KCY NBobs > PFA > Sort right angle Stubby XLR interconnects > the deck.

That's exactly how i run mine, keep the pfa's in a separate compartment in my pack, keeps it smaller lengthwise.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. With kcy nbobs I can run PFAs into the mic inputs. But if I want to avoid that bulk and power the Schoeps by IPA or Nbox, I run the risk of clipping the 1/8 line input due to the low max input. So I'd need to get a 1/8 to dual xlr or xlr to dual xlr cable?
MM,
Maybe I am misunderstanding this comment ^, but unless there are 2 other sets of mics in the mix, to run the mics into 5/6 (1/8 trs) is to not use the kashmir preamps which are only on inputs 1,2,3 and 4, which of course is the big reason for using the mixpre 3 or 6 to begin with. 
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »
MM,
Maybe I am misunderstanding this comment ^, but unless there are 2 other sets of mics in the mix, to run the mics into 5/6 (1/8 trs) is to not use the kashmir preamps which are only on inputs 1,2,3 and 4, which of course is the big reason for using the mixpre 3 or 6 to begin with.

You're right, I'd want to run the IPA just to power the mics and run mic in. Can't do that with the nbox I don't think.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
MM,

You're right, I'd want to run the IPA just to power the mics and run mic in. Can't do that with the nbox I don't think.

Do you have RCA to XLR cables? If so just run RCA out of the Nbox into the XLR on the MP6 channels 1-4. Just turn phantom off. Works fine for me
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »

Correct. Running an nbox with fixed +20dB gain into the 5/6 aux input is a recipe for disaster. You will need to run into the XLR/TRS combo inputs and be absolutely sure not to engage phantom power on the recorder. Unless design changes have been made, the Nbox output is not DC protected.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »
Thanks all.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:12 PM »
Does anyone know why, or think what the answer is as to why, the 5/6 is so low on its max input?
It just seems odd to me that it would be from a high end company/product
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:01 PM »
Does anyone know why, or think what the answer is as to why, the 5/6 is so low on its max input?

Could it be because the input does double duty as time code input?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2017, 09:44:03 PM »

I had a problem once for brick walling with it. I'm still not sure why. Comparisons have been made to the specs of the R-09, which could brick wall with a hot sbd patch or a loud show.

Those of us with mp6 units should continue to experiment and report back with findings.

For me, I'm going to try to run the mixpre6 on 0db for 5/6, control gain with the littlebox and see what happens.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
Those of us with mp6 units should continue to experiment and report back with findings.

For me, I'm going to try to run the mixpre6 on 0db for 5/6, control gain with the littlebox and see what happens.
In mp-6 you can adjust the signal strength to aux input:
In line mode -40 - +40 dB
In the microphone mode -20 - +60 db
This should suffice in most situations, without need external attenuator.
I applied -10 dBu from the mp-d to the 5 and 6 aux input of the mp-6, mode line
5 channel level 14 db set
6 channel level 20 db set
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-M9vh-K8KZmSGF0R2NsRUp1aVE/view?usp=sharing
The same is in the microphone mode.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:45:00 AM by hipporu »
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2017, 10:03:52 AM »

they built a four channel box and threw in 5/6 as an afterthought because they had the room?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
5/6 is aimed at connecting consumer products
There is an interview Paul where it says for whom these mixes are intended
YouTuber, Musician, Podcaster, Sound Designer, Videographer, Production Sound Mixer, Educator, or audio hobbyist ...
http://soundrolling.com/i-chat-to-paul-isaacs-about-the-new-sound-devices-mix-pre-series/
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:27 PM »

You could just very easily run IPA/NBox directly into the XLR INs on Channels 1-4 as well, eliminating the need to use the 1/8" input at all ;)

I plan on using my Channels 5/6 1/8" Input for SBD Patches, and I can EASILY attenuate the XLR signal with my Naiant MPD's :)

And thanks for the link for that 1/8" Attenuator, Noah! MUCH Appreciated! I'll DEF be grabbing one of those for my MP6 here soon :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
For stealth, if it were me, I would run KCY NBobs > PFA > Sort right angle Stubby XLR interconnects > the deck. That way you are solidly locked in XLR all the way. And you don't have to mess with the IPA. I have some 6" right angle stubby XLR interconnects that Ted made that I love. Keeps the XLRs going into the deck flush and not sticking out for stealth situations. Little if any extra bulk this way since you are eliminating the IPA and potentially an in line attenuator if that 1/8 input is indeed prone to brickwalling.

BINGO! Here's a couple of pics of my DarkTrain Rt Angle Stubby XLR Breakout Cables! Makes running 4 channels of 60v PFA's extremely compact and fool proof :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.195 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com