Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need some advice to adjust my equipment  (Read 6114 times)

Offline slowblow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
need some advice to adjust my equipment
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:28:37 PM »
Hi All,
I need you !
my gear is SP-CMC-8 > SP-SPSB-6 > Olympus LS-P2
my problem is the Olympus has only a mic input, not line input.
this is the first time I will use this equipment.
Should I use the bass roll-off settings in my battery box ?
what advice can you give me to have a good recording?
thanks a lot !

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: need some advice to adjust my equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:26 PM »
No bass roll off.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »
I would not use the bass roll off.  Tiny mics don't need that and you can do it yourself in editing with more precision if something like that is needed. 

You should be able to use the mic input.  I don't think that thing provides too high an output.  Set your levels manually and make sure you're not running too loud. 

Make sure the mics stay steadily oriented in the same consistent direction. 

Have fun. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:51:35 PM »
Try to make the recording from wherever it sound sounds best to you.
Point at the auditory center of sound, not the apparent visual center.
Set your levels so that you have a comfortable range below clipping.
Practice prior to an important recording.
All the little stuff: Clean your wire connections, make sure your batteries are charged, reformat your memory card when it becomes full rather than deleting files from it, etc..

I would not use the bass roll off.  Tiny mics don't need that..
Not using the bass-rolloff on the battery box and/or recorder is good advice.  Set your levels low enough to accommodate the bass and modify the file appropriately afterwards if you find it would benefit from bass reduction. However, the size of a microphone has no relation to its bass sensitivity.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »

Not using the bass-rolloff on the battery box and/or recorder is good advice.  Set your levels low enough to accommodate the bass and modify the file appropriately afterwards if you find it would benefit from bass reduction. However, the size of a microphone has no relation to its bass sensitivity.

True that's not the proximate cause but none of the little cardioid mics people use for stealth purposes are ever likely to have too full a low end.  Even similar profile omnis that seems unlikely. 

We do all agree whatever it is should be adjusted in post. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »

True that's not the proximate cause but none of the little cardioid mics people use for stealth purposes are ever likely to have too full a low end.  Even similar profile omnis that seems unlikely. 

We do all agree whatever it is should be adjusted in post.

The CA omnis I use have some serious bass response. Especially in comparison to their card brethren

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »
^^ Many small omnis have good bass response (look at the frequency plots for the DPA 4060, Sennheiser MKE-2 or Countryman B3, for example).  Cards, on the other hand, tend to have comparatively poor low-end, even the high-quality SDCs, unless used very close to the source (due to proximity effect)...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »
Many small cardioids are intended for speech and intentionally have less bass sensitivity, but that's not always the case.  I recall AT853 for instance having pretty significant bass response, more so than AT933 or other miniature cardioids from AT.  Almost all miniature omnis are flat to very low frequencies with exactly the same response as larger omnis.  If there is a response difference trend with small omnis it is that they tend have more treble boost for use as lavaliere mics, the bottom end extension doesn't differ much.

A better metric to use than microphone size is the manufacturer's intended use and target market for the microphone.  For the most part we're re-purposing equipment intended for other applications, and in figuring out what can be adapted to work well for our purposes it becomes helpful to learn how to correctly differentiate why one small mic may not be like another.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline slowblow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Many thanks for the help.
no problem of sound ? (distorsion ?) if I record with the mic input instead of a line input ?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 05:36:34 PM »
Not sure about the max input level of the Olympus LS-P2, as it's not a very common recorder around here at TS.

Yes it is possible to overload the mic input.  If you find you are getting distortion, engaging the bass-cut on the battery box may reduce output level to the recorder enough to prevent the distortion, and would be appropriate if you cannot lower the input level of the recorder sufficiently to prevent distortion.  In that case you can somewhat restore the lost bass afterwards with equalization if the cut is too much, but often not entirely (the basis upon which the general "don't use bass-cut" recommendations are made).  However, doing so is far preferable to a distorted recording.

A complication is that with small recorders there is often a lower limit somewhere within the full range of input level adjustability, below which the input will still distort even though the meters no longer reach full-scale and indicate 'over' or clipping.  That's a symptom of the analog input stage of the recorder clipping prior to analog to digital conversion, which is where the metering happens.  Finding that "do no go below" input setting is something folks figure out around here whenever a new small recorder comes into mainstream use.  Often the term used around here for that is "brickwalling" since the action of the meters tends to not bounce as much as one would normally see, instead sort of 'ceiling out' as if hitting a brickwall at some arbitrary level.

You'l need to try it with various settings to see what works.  Expect a few failed test recordings before you really nail it.

Hope that helps.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
^^ Many small omnis have good bass response (look at the frequency plots for the DPA 4060, Sennheiser MKE-2 or Countryman B3, for example).  Cards, on the other hand, tend to have comparatively poor low-end, even the high-quality SDCs, unless used very close to the source (due to proximity effect)...

Speaking of which... I'll never forget being at a small club show (about 1000 people) where it was bass and drums, mainly, and the recording was NOTHING BUT BASS using DPA 4061's.  Thankfully, I could roll that off in post and it sounded great.  If I'd rolled it off on a battery box, it could've been a complete mess.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline live2cd

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Facebook.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 03:45:24 PM »
are there any advantages of using the bass roll off then? just curious. I rarely use mine with the HEB's, but its there if I need it.
DPA 4060 [CS HEB] > CS BB
CA-14 (c) > CA 9200
CA-14 (o) > CA 9200
SP-CMC-8 Cardioids (4.7k mod) > SP-SPSB-11
pri deck: Sony PCM M10 | alt decks: TASCAM DR‑2D & Sony PCM A10

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 01:16:40 AM »
I just purchased this for my Olympus LS-P2. https://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-ad-trsm-a32.htm

I'm wondering if using this cable will turn stuff intended for line inputs for the mic input, like battery boxes. I say this because every time I put my battery box in the LS-P2 mic input, it suddenly sees it as a plug in power device and there seems to be no way to turn that off. As a result, I don't think the recordings I have made with it are that great as the Sony because of it's dedicated Line Input. Then again, I've used the Pocketrak that has a line input with mixed results with a battery box to power up the mics. However, I think the Pocketrak works pretty well with recording line level stuff through the soundboard. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of power the unit is providing? Once I find something out about this cable, I'll let you know what the results are.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:21:00 AM by DATBoy »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »
I just purchased this for my Olympus LS-P2. https://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-ad-trsm-a32.htm

That should lower the input, reducing sensitivity of the mic-input to something more like a line-input.

[/quote] I'm wondering if using this cable will turn stuff intended for line inputs for the mic input, like battery boxes. I say this because every time I put my battery box in the LS-P2 mic input, it suddenly sees it as a plug in power device and there seems to be no way to turn that off. [/quote]

There should be a switch in a menu somewhere to turn PIP on/off.  Regardless it should not effect the recording if PIP is left on and you plug in a battery box.

ilduclo

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
My basic advice on new gear is to try it out at a show that you don't care if you get it perfect, try different settings and speak into your mics just what settings they are each time. Give it a nice listen at home on a decent set up and make your choices! Then when you do record a show you like and get good results, post over in kickdown

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 10:18:22 PM »

That should lower the input, reducing sensitivity of the mic-input to something more like a line-input.

I'm wondering if using this cable will turn stuff intended for line inputs for the mic input, like battery boxes. I say this because every time I put my battery box in the LS-P2 mic input, it suddenly sees it as a plug in power device and there seems to be no way to turn that off. [/quote]

There should be a switch in a menu somewhere to turn PIP on/off.  Regardless it should not effect the recording if PIP is left on and you plug in a battery box.
[/quote]

I have checked everywhere inside the menu of this recorder and no, there is no option that allows you to turn off plug in power.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
The battery box has capacitors in the signal path past the battery which block the DC provided by the battery box to power the mics.  Those same capacitors also block the PIP DC provided by the recorder from reaching the battery or microphones.  Shouldn't really matter if you can't find a way to turn it off.

What may matter is the impedance of the attenuation cable and how that interacts with the output impedance of the microphones through the batterybox.  Depends on the particulars of both the cable and the microphones, but in some cases could create a filter which produces an unflat response.  Listen for a change in high frequency response when using the cable. That's less likely to be an issue if using that attenuation cable with a preamp or soundboard input.  Someone more electrically astute will have to explain this in detail, as it is reaching the limits of my electronics explanation comfort zone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com