Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mini mixer  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: mini mixer
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 12:22:56 PM »
Way to keep at it! 

Voltronic, the variant I've been long dreaming of is a straight 6 or 8ch 24/48khz PCM recorder in a candy tin.  Single common 9-pin DSUB input connector to accommodate 8 unbalanced mic channels > low voltage mic power > gain trims > write stereo WAV(s) to SD card.  The On/off switch providing operational control - switch it on and it records, switch it off and it stops.  Small and simple.  I'll do the mixing later.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
made easy- >>Improved PAS table<< | made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
Since I'm day dreaming I'll take it one step further with an alternative to my imaginary single 8 channel recorder..

4 separate super-miniature stereo recorders, each with a coin battery, microSD card, and a highly sample-accurate clock.  Controlled using a simple wireless command to start/stop them together.   Each writes a stereo BWAV with time signature for syncing the resulting files come mix time. 

I'd install each into the back of a rubber boundary-mount disc housing a miniature omni Mid/Side pair and place those anywhere I cared to within the range of wireless control.   Each storing data locally, eliminating all external wires and external connections, and only needing to receive the wireless start/stop signal.

Imagine this with a miniature bi-directional co-located along with the omni, plus a coin-battery and a micro-SD slot on the back-
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
made easy- >>Improved PAS table<< | made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 01:55:53 AM »
@voltronic: I have always been very curious about dsd. There is enough misinformation on the net to be thoroughly misleading. For a long time I planned on getting a dsd recorder and testing for myself what was hype and what was what. I picked up an Mr-2 over the summer and did a few rough recordings of acoustic material. Both the straight dsd playback and on-the-fly transcoding to pcm both sounded really good to me. It sounded about half way between digital and analog, and definitely has a distinctly different sound vs. all the pcm adc's I have used.

Note: I was unsold on dsd from listening to sound clips on the net, especially the pcm-d100 which sounded no different than pcm to me.

I am well aware of all of the practical drawbacks to the format, no need to go there. The only thing I can say is rent or get your hands on a korg mr2 or 2000 and try it out for yourself. You might well be surprised.

About halfway done with the stereo preamp. I don't think it will sound any better than what you are already using, but the size is nice and compact.

@gutbucket: I like your idea a lot, it's something that I would want for myself. 6 channels is about enough for my purposes. An 8 channel mint tin preamp for 2 wire mics is very doable, I would almost say easy at this point, but I won't since I can't even make a proper case for my mixer. Add in the adc and it's also doable, even though I have not done an adc yet.

I have my eye on working with the newer AK576x adc's. There is an eight channel one available. The recorder part makes it definitely harder, but I think that there are open source or other available ways to easily record pcm streams - not so with DSD. I might have got lucky in the mixer design in that there is no audible digital noise creeping into the audio. Adding an adc and a linux SoC would probably increase the chances of digital noise problems, but I will still most likely go for it anyway.

(If Jon wants to recommend an appropriate compact SoC for said recording purposes I would be appreciative)

It was a tossup when designing the mixer whether I would have direct outs/discrete channels or make a 2 bus. I like the stereo recorder idea just because it forces you to make decisons, mix on the spot and then the recording is done for better or worse

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:35:22 AM by weroflu »

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
Stereo pre

https://1580mixer.shutterfly.com/pictures/69#69

Sounds good.

Next version will be tweaked a little and have vertical 10 way switches for gain inside the case, a few changes to the power supply, cut off the part of the board that houses the battery.

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »
Probably the last preamp I wind up making for a long while. Lundahl 1538 input transformers, 10 way stepped gain setting, socketed op-amp will  use an interesting mini discrete opamp (ss3602) or for ic's either lme4562 or opa2134. I think the discrete one is biased for class a so battery power would not be feasible.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com