Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 2201 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
What do you guys think? Will R-07 be the successor to the popular but discontinued R-05 and M10?

At least it looks great. Available in three colors. Black, white and red.

- Dual Recording function for making two simultaneous recordings—one at full level and another at a lower level to prevent clipping.
- Hybrid Limiter.
- Bluetooth wireless headphone and speaker monitoring.
- Bluetooth remote control with smartphone and supported smartwatches
- One-touch Scene function for instant setup in any recording scenario.
- Rehearsal function for perfect input levels with a single touch.
- Playback and/or recording approximately 15 hours with 2 x LR6/AA alkaline batteries.

Width: 61 mm / 2.40"
Depth: 103 mm / 4.06"
Height: 26 mm / 1.02"
Weight: 150 g / 5.3 oz

Estimated price:  $229.

Ask Audio: Roland Announces R-07 High-Resolution Audio Recorder

B&H: Roland R-07 Portable Audio Recorder

YouTube video: YouTube video: Roland R-07 Overview

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:10:15 AM by TheMetalist »
It's not about fancy equipment. It's about the thrill, passion and hard work. Liberate the music!

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: A look at ROLAND R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
At first glance I like the look of it.  The internal mics are discreet, and the red color can actually make it look like more of a consumer gadget than a serious recorder.  The wireless functionality further makes this look good for stealthing.

ETA: I see it's available in multiple colors.  All the better.  That way someone who wants black can get it, and someone who wants a color can choose that.  I guess my only concern for stealthing is it looks like it might have a lot of metal in the body...?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:52:19 AM by heathen »
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | Countryman B3s | CA-14 omnis | AT853 cards | AKG 460/ck61 | Studio Projects CS5
Decks: Zoom F4 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
Size comparison:

R-07: 2.40 x 4.06 x 1.02
R-05: 2.4 x 4.1 x 1
M10: 2.5 x 4.5 x 0.9

Weight comparison:

R-07: 5.3 oz / 150.0 g, including batteries
R-05: 5 oz (140g) [not specified whether this is with batteries]
M10: 6.6 oz (187 g) (With Batteries)

Given the weight of the R-07 I doubt it has a lot of metal to it after all.  I'm really excited about this thing.  Dual record and being able to control it remotely via phone are exactly the things I would want if someone asked me what could be added to the R-05 (though a digital in to use this as a bit bucket would be the icing on the cake).  Now my only question is how the mic/aux in jack will work...will it behave like the R-05 mic in, line in, or some combination of both?
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | Countryman B3s | CA-14 omnis | AT853 cards | AKG 460/ck61 | Studio Projects CS5

Online larrysellers

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Qualified
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:25:03 AM »
That red one looks a lot like a phone..perfect. My M10 is now 7 years old, so a replacement will be needed at some point.

Offline Kamen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
Oh, great.

This is certainly a must or me. Both my handhelds - an M10 and an LS-11 -  are discontinued, and I'm weary of putting them at risk. Unless nitial tests reveal something terrible going onwith the R-07's preamps, I'm certainly getting one.

The BT part is interesting. There have been a number of attempts at a remote-controlled handheld recorder lately, and I've found al of them lacking. The Tascams (44wl and 22wl) use WiFi, but they're shitty recorders. The Sony ICD-SX2000 hasa great-looking app, but a lot of flaws as a serious recorder (high noise floor, non-replaceable battery, etc.). The Olympus LS-P2 looks better, but is also noisy and lacks a line-in conection.

So, fingers crossed, the R-07 might just be "it".

K.

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »
The internal mics are discreet
Dual record and being able to control it remotely via phone are exactly the things I would want if someone asked me what could be added to the R-05

Yes. I will probably go Roland when my Sony M10 fails me. If not sooner than that. I hope we will get some in depth reviews soon.
It's not about fancy equipment. It's about the thrill, passion and hard work. Liberate the music!

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
looks pretty good from a scan of it/specs

what I don't understand with Roland and Tascam though is why they need to come out with a new recorder over and over??
IMO if you get it right like the Sony M10 you are golden, seems these two brands are constantly releasing something new.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Online spyder9

• Trade Count: (60)
  • "Are you Zman!?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:01:01 PM »
runs up to 15 hours on two AA batteries

Finally, someone, besides Sony, built a handheld recorder that can record longer than 5 1/2 hours.  It's been 12 years since the M10 debuted....    ::)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
what I don't understand with Roland and Tascam though is why they need to come out with a new recorder over and over??
IMO if you get it right like the Sony M10 you are golden, seems these two brands are constantly releasing something new.

I think it's great that they develop new products. Handheld recorders are less important today than a few years back as most people prefer to use their smartphones for everything. As Sony more or less has disappeared from the market I'm glad Roland and Tascam are still here for us. I have actually been a bit worried about M10 being discontinued. Hopefully R-07 will be the perfect replacement.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »
Love the R-05 and have found it to be more user friendly than the Sony M10.

Is there line level input on the R-07? It looks like they have moved to a single mic/aux input.  Is aux = line? and if yes why have 2 inputs on the R-05?

Micro-SD cards on the R-07 too.
Mics: Schoeps MK5, Schoeps MK41, AT853u (C,SC,H)
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2 (for sale), Sound Devices MP-2 (for sale), DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »

Finally, someone, besides Sony, built a handheld recorder that can record longer than 5 1/2 hours.  It's been 12 years since the M10 debuted....    ::)

I have never used a R-05 myself but according to the specs the recording time is approx 16 hours with alkaline batteries. If that is incorrect, perhaps we can expect the R-07 to actually have less recording time as well.

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »
Is there line level input on the R-07? It looks like they have moved to a single mic/aux input.  Is aux = line? and if yes why have 2 inputs on the R-05?

Correct. A single input.

Audio Inputs: 1 x 1/8" stereo jack Mic/Aux input (with plug-in power)
Nominal Input Level Mic/Aux Input: -31 dBu, variable (default input level, 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms)
Input Impedance Mic/Aux Input: 4.5 kOhms

Perhaps someone more technically talented than me can explain if these specs are good or bad for using external mics with Nbox, IPA etc.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:03:23 PM by TheMetalist »

Offline heathen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 03:07:59 PM »
I'm guessing the mic/aux input will behave like that of the DR-05 (for example) where there's a menu option to turn on/off plug in power.  I certainly hope the thing can at least take an analog line in cleanly.

Online spyder9

• Trade Count: (60)
  • "Are you Zman!?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »

I have never used a R-05 myself but according to the specs the recording time is approx 16 hours with alkaline batteries. If that is incorrect, perhaps we can expect the R-07 to actually have less recording time as well.

Good job!  I never knew that and I own one.  That said, the R-05 received very little fanfare at TS.com.   Its Specs almost completely ignored, because the market was already flooded with high resolution recorders.  Smart move by Roland on the R-07.  Who's left to compete with it?  It looks like they have the Handheld market to themselves.......
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:54:36 PM by spyder9 »

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »
I like the bluetooth monitoring feature and am curious to see what that actually looks like.  I wonder if the bluetooth playback will pair with a car stereo for the ride home from a gig.  If it connects to BT headphones or a BT speaker I cannot see why not.
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »
looks pretty good from a scan of it/specs

My thoughts are that Sony may have discontinued the M10 because journalists increasingly used their smartphones as audio/video recorders which probably hurt M10 sales.     Sony makes so many different products that the M10 may not have been financially significant to Sony even though it was practically significant to many on TS for its quality, size, and battery life. 

I suspect Tascam offers a wide variety of audio recorders at different price points because they are trying to capture as many sales of audio recorders at as many price points as they can.  If they release a recorder with upgraded features, existing customers may want to upgrade giving Tascam the opportunity for another sale. 

I'm glad to see the Roland R-07 and hope it will be a competent replacement if my m10 stops working.  Maybe the 07 battery life is longer if bluetooth is turned off, but if it will reliably run on a set of AA rechargeables for even say 8-10 hours, then that's  long enough for most people and then a fresh set of AAs can be installed. 

The bluetooth control could potentially be useful for remote control and a better view of the meters, too.   And the opportunity for bluetooth playback is something I hadn't considered before, but I think rigpimp has a good point. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 05:05:50 PM »
Good to see a new Roland recorder that seems to be well suited for most users here, but the info below is a bummer for my uses-

Correct. A single input.
Audio Inputs: 1 x 1/8" stereo jack Mic/Aux input (with plug-in power)

Upon seeing that it a offered "Dual Recording Feature" I hoped it would be able to record two separate stereo inputs simultaneously like the Tascam DR2d.  Looks like the DR2d remains the only small pocketable recorder ever made with that dual-stereo input recording functionality.  Oh well.

Looks good otherwise.. carry on.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
made easy- >>Improved PAS table<< | made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:05 PM »
M10 is old too!

I want to read more about the 2nd recording feature.  It sounds like it makes two copies at the same time?  One is recorded at a lower level or with limiters in case you have a blow out on your main recording? 

I wonder how clean the preamps are?  When will we see it in the wild?

Wonder wonder wonder.
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »

I think it's great that they develop new products. Handheld recorders are less important today than a few years back as most people prefer to use their smartphones for everything. As Sony more or less has disappeared from the market I'm glad Roland and Tascam are still here for us. I have actually been a bit worried about M10 being discontinued. Hopefully R-07 will be the perfect replacement.
im glad too. I was referring more to getting it right.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:06:50 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 10:40:26 PM »
B&H site says "mic/line 1/8" input" under its description.
02/03 PoNIII, 02/12 David Gans, 02/12 Justin Furstenfeld, 02/15 JK Band, 02/22 Trout Steak Revival, 03/02 LS3, 03/30 Dead Phish Orchestra

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 10:21:33 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqqFKw4gT1c

Looks like the marketing is being aimed at teens to college age as an easy to use recorder with the ability to playback wirelessly over bluetooth headphones and speakers. 

Offline dallman

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqqFKw4gT1c

Looks like the marketing is being aimed at teens to college age as an easy to use recorder with the ability to playback wirelessly over bluetooth headphones and speakers.

To be expected if they want the unit to sell. I think it might hurt their sales if instead if instead the video showed a bunch of aging guys in Kangol hats...
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »
I think it might hurt their sales if instead if instead the video showed a bunch of aging guys in Kangol hats...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Team Milab | TeamVW:2004 TDI Beetle -Malone1.5
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:59 AM »
also avaialbe for preorder at Adorama:
https://www.adorama.com/g/roland_r-07?emailprice=t&utm_source=slgt&utm_medium=email&guid=63808568-9512-4684-9dc6-ecc07135d6f0&utm_term=Shop&utm_content=Body&utm_campaign=Email_CESDay1_010818

dose look like a promising replacement for the m-10 - with some differences of course.
the white one is actually white and grey:
https://www.adorama.com/ror07wh.html?EmailPrice=T
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:32:39 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • Line Audio CM3's
PreAmps:  Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: Zoom F8 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics
==============================
For sale in YS: • SD USB-Pre2  •  Tascam DR-60D • Busman BSC2 BusBox (K21-O, K41-SC, K11-C) • Presonus Firebox • Denecke AD-20

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
Nice !

I still have 3 R-05's so no need to replace, but good to know Roland made a new recorder :)
mics : nakamichi cm-300's (JB mod / cp1 / cp2) , sp-cmc-4u / at-u853 4.7k mod (c/h)
battery box : ca-ubb
recorder: roland r-05
video: panasonic hdc-sd600, sony hx50v, sony hx9v 
for sale
roland R-05 http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184339.0

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (47)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 11:04:17 PM »
Sooo... not all at once -  who's pre-ordering?  >:D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:39:49 AM by sos »
Mics: AKG Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) | Franken Nak(s): CM-700 (CP-701/702) & CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) | AT853 (all caps) | Primo EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres: Naiant tinyboxes (v. 2.5 & 1.0) & littlebox (v. 1.5/ot)
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre-10T | Sony PCM‑D50 | Roland R-05 & R-09HRs
Juice: XL-WPH3 | RAVPower Xtreme | Eneloop Pro & Ladda rechargeables | Powerex MH-C9000

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
Got one on order from Adorama (black) Don't really need it ,have an R05 & m10 but the blue tooth sounds nice plus dual record too. ill probably sell the M10 after i get the 07 and give it a whirl.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
Looks nice...especially the bluetooth functions.

A couple nit picks that haven't been mentioned...

Unless it can get power from the USB port, no external ac power jack is downer for festival people, but 15 hour run-time helps ease that concern a little bit.  I like setting and forgetting, so having both batteries and external connected gives me peace of mind in case something happens. 

I don't care for the display design...looks like a place for dirt and dust to collect.

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
Yea it does look like it could get dirt or dusty under the top end ,but there should be a way to clean or maybe seal that area.That canned air cleaner works pretty good if used on a regular basis. i hope it has a stealth mode like the other small recorders i have . but with the blue tooth option it wont be a deal breaker as long as you can adjust the gain from your phone. i have a mixpre 3 and that is a little bit of a downer. battery life really not a problem . A fresh set  2 times a day =30 hrs  i don't think one would have a problem at a festy.

Offline yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »

Unless it can get power from the USB port, no external ac power jack is downer for festival people, but 15 hour run-time helps ease that concern a little bit.  I like setting and forgetting, so having both batteries and external connected gives me peace of mind in case something happens. 

It's specs state that it can be USB bus-powered.   So hopefully an external USB battery should work with it.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »

It's specs state that it can be USB bus-powered.   So hopefully an external USB battery should work with it.

Nice!

Offline Butters1099

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 11:46:59 AM »
Sooo... not all at once - who's pre-ordering?  >:D

Placed my preorder last night. 
The Edirol R-09 is getting old, but after 11 years of stealth recording, I’ll be retiring it to backup recorder.

I still have my minidisc recorder too, but it sits as a paperweight ????

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
I sincerely hope that mic/aux jack is switchable via internal menu. If you can't switch the mic preamp off and use it as a straight line input, then this device is pretty much useless for tapers. It will overload at lou1d shows.

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
The specs listed for the MIC/AUX IN jack are nearly identical to the specks for the R-05 MIC IN on high gain. Not good.

Offline heathen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
Definitely something I'd want clarified before preordering.  I'll be really bummed if they dropped the ball on that point since the recorder otherwise looks pretty good.

Offline gunk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
When is the Roland R-07 actually going to be in the shops?

Is there an official release date for it?

Offline heathen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »
When is the Roland R-07 actually going to be in the shops?

Is there an official release date for it?
B&H's site says mid-April  :shrug:

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
B&H's site says mid-April  :shrug:

I hope we will get a proper review earlier than that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.299 seconds with 60 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com