Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

My New 12" Baffle

(1/4) > >>

mfrench:
I've been running small 8" and 6" baffles for a long time.  I tried to run my Senn MKE2002 bridged omni binaural mic pair on the small 8" baffle, but, it was an awkward fit at best.  So, I've been thinking about building a new baffle.

12" baffle, rigged for both my DPA4060 pair, and, the MKE2002 pair.
And, let me be the first to point out that there is nothing quite like a photo to show that you still need to adjust things a bit.
Anyway,... you get the idea.

heathen:
What are the materials?

mfrench:
12" bamboo embroidery hoop (I'd go with plastic next time, as the connecting point is beefier (live and learn).
Foam kneeling pad foam cut to the diamter of an LP, perfect snug fit. I like the fluid-like density of this memory foam-like product.
The stand mount is a 3/8" fender washer, with a 3/8-16 thread rod connecting ferrule to attach to mic stand, and, 3/8-16 extension for a T-Bar across the top. The extension is just tall enough to thread a t-bar onto, and stops just as it taps the baffle ring.
My cross bars are wood dowels the diameter to fit the pencil eraser cap mic clips. They pass through the baffle via cable tie anchors that have adhesive backing on them. The mounting tabs keep the dowel held firmly, and keep the foam from getting destroyed.

Gutbucket:
Nice looking disk baffle.  Very clean, professional appearance.  I like the construction method using the hoop to secure the single thick layer of dense foam kneeling-pad damping material, rather than laminating thinner sheeps of damping materials to a rigid center disk.

mfrench:
Thanks, Lee

One thing I have yet to do, and that I've done on the other baffles, is to pin the baffle material to the frame.  I drill small holes around the compass points, and use long ball head sewing pins that I bag from Sarges kit; all black pins except for one red one facing forward. It helps a lot in keeping the material centered.

But, like I said,.. and this is silly since its a day old,.. I'd suggest the plastic frames as opposed to this bamboo, as the plastic has a beefier arrangement to close the loop. I saw metal closures with the bamboo frame, and, figured that was better. But compared to the plastic frame of my battle hardened 8" baffle, I'm guessing that the bamboo one will need to be replaced. c'est la vie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version