Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Ridiculous Overhead Rigs

(1/3) > >>

mfrench:
OK,... there is this "professional" recording forum, where it seems that there is a right of passage, that of recording in DeccaTree.
To that end, there have been some ridiculous rigs posted that, IMO, threaten the very safety of the patronage at concerts.

So, I'll start this with a bit of ridiculousness that I found in a random internet search while looking for silly "Tree" rigs, below.

In this image,... there is a DeccaTree.  To support that DeccaTree is an outlandish array of a higher "T-Bar" that has cables on it that reach down to support the DeccaTree.  That higher T-Bar is counterweighted by a massive rearward counterweight. And, in all likeliness, 30lbs of sandbags on the floor, on the base of the mic stand.

mfrench:
And, some more,....
This pic is a 'Tree rig that I was shaded by for a weekend.
Look at how far forward the mic stand shaft is distorting to.
On the forward extension is a DPA 130v omni at the point, and, a pair of 4011 cards as XY on a Shure stereo bar; Yep, a Shure sterreo bar on the forward extension, rather than on the main mic stand shaft.

I work quite regularly in the shade of these overhead structures.
My rigs in this mess: Binaural head, on stage, and the short stereo array mic stand immeidately behind the 'Tree stand.

mfrench:
And,... shall we continue with the ridiculous?

Gutbucket:
Ha!  Almost like the jungle-gym at the playground.  Imagining some toddler attempting to climb those things.  Some are just nuts.

This is where live music taping serves a crucible in which a balance is forged between possibility and practicality/safety.   You are working at the outlier edge of the envelope, dodging Jarts thrown from the merry-go-round.

heathen:
Alexander Calder would be proud of some of these rigs...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version