Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Mixpre-6, M/S recording

(1/6) > >>

rippleish20:

I am interested in trying some M/S recording, most likely with a MK8 and MK41 to a Mixpre-6. I understand how to set up the microphones but I have no experience with the settings on the deck side. It appears I could link these two as a M/S pair and adjust the stereo width, but what I if just want to record "raw" and use a DAW to post process the width? Do you just record each channel as is?

noahbickart:

--- Quote from: rippleish20 on January 17, 2018, 05:23:54 PM ---
I am interested in trying some M/S recording, most likely with a MK8 and MK41 to a Mixpre-6. I understand how to set up the microphones but I have no experience with the settings on the deck side. It appears I could link these two as a M/S pair and adjust the stereo width, but what I if just want to record "raw" and use a DAW to post process the width? Do you just record each channel as is?

--- End quote ---

Yup. Just record as "L" and "R" even though those are really "M" and "S."

I, however, like to record in m/s mode, so I can listen to the recording on the way home. It's so easy to convert back and forth in software anyway.

kindms:

--- End quote ---

i never mix M/S on the fly, always in post. I basically just try for similar levels and make sure no clipping and take the raw files in to audacity etc

rippleish20:

--- Quote from: noahbickart on January 17, 2018, 05:28:58 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Yup. Just record as "L" and "R" even though those are really "M" and "S."

I, however, like to record in m/s mode, so I can listen to the recording on the way home. It's so easy to convert back and forth in software anyway.

--- End quote ---

Wait, so if I do the m/s channel linking live, I can still change the stereo width later?

noahbickart:
of course, you can even adjust the ratio of m and s in recordings which weren't made in m/s

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version