Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small blip of increase in waveform amplitude, what's the cause and how to fix?  (Read 5403 times)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
ycoop, you following along at home?    :P
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Well at work, but yeah.

Don’t have access to Audition, maybe Audacity’s click removal will work.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
I'd think any of them would on something simple like this.  It can be trial and error playing with the settings and profiles a bit to get what works best.  Audition has four models in the click and pop and a bunch of settings but I think I more or less rely on one of the defaults. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Audacity click removal was not successful. Tried the zero crossings cut from other channel which resulted in a small blip when the cut happens as the two tracks don’t have zero crossings at the exact same locations. I know I could do a fade in/fade out on a new track before and after the cut and then merge the tracks, but that seems like overkill when my original solution was satisfactory.

Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Zoom way, way, way in on the edit point until you see the discrete sample points of the waveform.  Manually drag a few sample points to smooth out the sharp discontinuity and that will nick the blip.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Zoom way, way, way in on the edit point until you see the discrete sample points of the waveform.  Manually drag a few sample points to smooth out the sharp discontinuity and that will nick the blip.
Yeah, just pencil-tool right over it, if that's easier. It's just an unwanted noise, right?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
I've been following this thread and reading some replies by some very smart and knowledgable people. I thought maybe we might be able to use some thoughts on the issue from someone not so smart and not so technically knowledgable (me).

If one were using Audacity I would recommend first trying the repair tool. If the noise is too many samples long in duration for that, then click repair sometimes works (there are adjustments to how sensitive and specific the tool is -- that can have an effect on what type of click is removed), or even splitting the channels, highlighting the noise, and using negative numbers with the amplify tool until it resembles the baseline, then attaching the channels back to a stereo track.

In terms of "what's the cause" -- there are countless causes of noise, as people have pointed out. Loose cables, RF interference, loose wire in the mic, a power surge from the battery/power source, and I also sometimes wonder about static electrical discharges when touching the gear to make adjustments.

Good luck. Sometimes I record a show and there are a dozen or so UNOs (Unidentified Noisy Object) and other times there are none. i wish i could see a pattern. Maybe someday. Thanks to all the people who contributed to this thread -- i continue to learn quite a bit on TS and I really do appreciate your time and effort.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:13:09 AM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com